What makes a good clay ground?

majordisorder

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just don't get it do you?

The vast majority of clay shooters aren't interested in serious competition/rankings etc. It's a few hours out with friends to enjoy themselves, simple as that. Don't slag them off for that. You enjoy your competition, and we'll enjoy our haybalers. Simple really isn't it? If someone wants decent parking/tea van etc. I can't see the problem.

You should have a look on the Webb site :yp: if you're interested in competition shooting. Apparently that's where it's at :lol:

Have to agree with you, I go out for the 1/2 day or day with friends just to relax and enjoy my self. If I get a good score thats a bonus.

What I like when I go to a ground is easy or easyish parking, freindly host / hostess, a variety of targets on tap. A good bonus is a cup of tea and or snack half way through the day.

At one ground the host / hostess make one very welcome and within minutes of arriving the tea is waiting. On traps that are trapped for you friendly and helpful trappers who are always willing to pass on their experiance and help. Then when back in the club house the instructors and others are ready to provide help on what one did and pointers how to correct any errors all in a friendly atmosphere.

Hey SOOTMAN or whatever your name is, i havent got a website so dont understand your last comment, you didnt mention claysporting but you did point the finger by WEBB site, maybe you were implying the name of the person responsible for that site!!!.....GOODNITE :good::good:

Goodnight Dennis :good:

And i am a right bundle of laughs, trust me!!! & if your happy with scoreing your own at shoots fine, but dont go on about it like youve won the county championship or it was a really hard event!!!.... too many posters on here look & talk out of there A%$E'S......they need to travel & get out more..

I think this just about sums it all up....to enjoy a local shoot and feel like we've done well is clearly upsetting to you as a competition shooter who shoots 'real' targets. No offence, but why should I give a damn and why should I travel miles needlessly when I have no desire to?

The sport needs your attitude like a hole in the head. Do the sums and work out how many clay shooters shoot competitively, then ask yourself why. The answer will likely be staring back at you in the mirror!

But then what do I know, I obviously talk out of my harris and need to get out more :rolleyes:

I think this just about sums it all up....to enjoy a local shoot and feel like we've done well is clearly upsetting to you as a competition shooter who shoots 'real' targets. No offence, but why should I give a damn and why should I travel miles needlessly when I have no desire to?

The sport needs your attitude like a hole in the head. Do the sums and work out how many clay shooters shoot competitively, then ask yourself why. The answer will likely be staring back at you in the mirror!

But then what do I know, I obviously talk out of my harris and need to get out more :rolleyes:

Ha Ha, wernt you one of the ESSEX LADS who moan about there being no good competative shoots in Essex, then you go back on your posts & say that you enjoy what youve got & have no desire for things to improve !!!.....what have you done or put back into the sport, except winge & moan.....BIG FISH,,,,,,,SMALL POND come to mind.

Ha Ha, wernt you one of the ESSEX LADS who moan about there being no good competative shoots in Essex, then you go back on your posts & say that you enjoy what youve got & have no desire for things to improve !!!.....what have you done or put back into the sport, except winge & moan.....BIG FISH,,,,,,,SMALL POND come to mind.

Shame they don't have a troll shoot round your way :yes:

You just don't get it do you?

The vast majority of clay shooters aren't interested in serious competition/rankings etc. It's a few hours out with friends to enjoy themselves, simple as that. Don't slag them off for that. You enjoy your competition, and we'll enjoy our haybalers. Simple really isn't it? If someone wants decent parking/tea van etc. I can't see the problem.

You should have a look on the Webb site :yp: if you're interested in competition shooting. Apparently that's where it's at :lol:

Excuse me ! Do you mind if I enjoy them both or is it an offence? :blink: from Auntie :good:

According to Dennis it would seem so. :rolleyes:

Just goes to show how small minded & ill informed you are and your lack of knowledge regarding clay shooting really shines through all the the hot air & smoke that you puff n produce.

Why are you blaming Dennis Webb, ive already advised you that i am not him !!!!!!!!!there are more than just him who shoots competatively in Essex, just check out the CPSA website, if ur a member that is ???, if ur not then i hope for anyone elses sake :angry: that shoots with you that you have insurance, because with your knowledge & attitude anyone else may need it !!!. : :good::good::blush: BTW its the wooden end that goes into the shoulder.

oh dear here we go,

Another one banging on about how only CPSA members are insured and know what they are doing. Has it ever occurred to you bunch of idiots that 99% of clay shooters do not care about your ivory towers that you look down on the rest of us from? The CPSA does nothing for clay shooting, apart from organise a couple of championships once a year. That is it, admit it and get on with your life. The normal shooter is not interested in the politics of whether Phil Boakes is or isn't resigning or whether he should or shouldn't go.

It was me who was banging on about there being no registered shoots in Essex, as for decent grounds there are several. I wasn't aware that the requisite for a decent ground was that they had to hold registered shoots and fly the CPSA flag as High as they can.

You really should get out more as Essex has lots to offer the clay shooter, but you won't find any details on the CPSA web site as they are not interested in grass roots clay shooting. As for decent targets, must get boring going to somewhere like the Fennes and straighting every stand all the time as they aren't.

I always thought the CPSA's banner was "To encourage and promote the sport of Clay Pigeon Shooting" yet they are not interested in doing anything in Essex. And I do know this as I have spoken to them about it.

Just goes to show how small minded & ill informed you are and your lack of knowledge regarding clay shooting really shines through all the the hot air & smoke that you puff n produce.

Why are you blaming Dennis Webb, ive already advised you that i am not him !!!!!!!!!there are more than just him who shoots competatively in Essex, just check out the CPSA website, if ur a member that is ???, if ur not then i hope for anyone elses sake :angry: that shoots with you that you have insurance, because with your knowledge & attitude anyone else may need it !!!. : :good::good::blush: BTW its the wooden end that goes into the shoulder.

:lol::lol::lol:

Dennis,

I left the CPSA a couple of years ago, simply because I didn't have the time, money or inclination to shoot 'competitively'.

However I've never knocked anyone who wishes to follow that route, unlike you, who seems to have joined up on this site to deride anyone who doesn't follow your idea of what a clay shooter should be. I know plenty of registered shooters and have shot with them on numerous occasions. Strangely enough they've never questioned my knowledge of the sport, or my attitude. Indeed I've found them quite a friendly bunch. A lesson for you maybe Dennis?

I mainly shoot live quarry now so am a fully paid up member of BASC. Hope that answers your insurance question?

Oh, and by the way, everyone knows that in Essex the wooden bit goes in the hip, not the shoulder :yes:

Good luck with the new site.........looks like you're going to need it :lol::lol::lol:

What makes a good shooting ground?

Comfortable travelling distance, reasonable cost for good targets with a nice variety available. Tidy surroundings and reliable traps.

Somewhere to get out of the weather and get a drink and a bite to eat.

Most importantly, nice people. No matter how good the facilities, if the regulars and staff are not welcoming then it is doomed to failure.

Last thing you want is some sanctimonious ****(s) looking down on newcomers. No matter where you are now, everyone started at the bottom.

The whole idea of clayshooting at any level is fun isn't it? Without a welcoming and supportive group of people then no ground is a good ground whatever failities they offer.

Who would have thought that my OP would have sparked such argument. I was interested to see what the general population need in a clay ground as a couple round me don't suit my requirements.

I'm lucky, I've got about six grounds within a 30 minute drive including Sporting Targets (which sucks, but must be a great money making opportunity for the owners), Kibworth (which is better and cheaper) and Northampton Shooting Ground (which I rate really highly).

The OP was to see what grounds can do (or should be doing) in order to attract more shooters. It looks like the average Joe (me included) likes good facilities, friendly staff (with big boobies if possible) a range of targets suitable for all levels, reasonable proces and a nice car park.

So if grounds have all of these they should be doing really well? Well no, I think the "big name" grounds continue to attract punters but the smaller less well advertised gruonds are loosing out which is a shame as from my experience they typically offer a better service.

Edited by majordisorder

What a giggle this thread has become.

Someone asks "What makes a good clay ground" and the responses have been honest, informative and entirely straightforward. Indeed, anyone running a clay ground or a clay association might want to keep half an eye open to what people are saying.

Then [enter stage left] comes the response of the registered clay shooter who hasn't got a good word to say about the likes of a self scoring haybale (which incidentally has a car park that is banged out every weekend).

The bit that made me laugh was the judging others by your own standards - the people I know and who I shoot with I can trust to score their own cards fairly and accurately, alas if Rangerman only associates with cheats and people who wish to cheat themselves (presumabley the registered scene is littered with them), then that's a shame for him.

That really is the thing though, Mungler. How many people actually "Mark" there own score cards? Someone else in the squad will do it and a fellow shooter is usually paying more attention than the spotty teenager at the registered shoot who is more interested in texting his mate who is scoring the next stand.

I am not sure what part of Essex Dennis "Rangerman" Webb lives but he is sadly deluded if he thinks you can't get to a clay shoot within 20 minutes of their house.

I can get to at least 4 most sundays through the summer within 10 minutes of my front door.

Edited by MC

Rangerman, I do indeed wish there were a few registered shoots in Essex, but alas, there aren't and there is very little I can do about it. You made the comment that if your not prepared to travel then take up another sport - no sport will be successful if it isn't easily accessible and that includes ours. Note I said 'ours' not 'yours', this may come as a shock but the world doesn't centre around you, or me for that matter. Big fish? that made me chuckle....

I have the privilege of shooting local shoots with friendly owners and participants, the only draw back being the queues - a natural by-product of their popularity and accessibility. Why should we take up another sport??

What have I put back into the sport? Isn't shooting nearly every weekend supporting the local shoots and gun shops enough? What more would you expect from me? I take my hat off to anyone who shoots, even if they only get out occasionally, it's a hobby for christ's sake, it's meant to be enjoyed.

The elitist attitude from the few who look down on the rest of us is exactly what most of us don't want to see in a clay ground.

if your happy with scoreing your own at shoots fine, but dont go on about it like youve won the county championship or it was a really hard event!!!

I find that the attention given to scoring by my friends is a lot harsher than the "paid" trappers at ANY site in the uk. I shot jjs on boxing day and got 12 on 2 stands that i only shot 10 on each!!!!!

we are competitive amoung ourselves and we certainly dont mark our own cards! Most of us have competed at county competitions and some do very well at it, one of the grounds that we score ourselves is very challenging and very busy.

The main thing is we enjoy ourselves and once you lose sight of that and become a miserable moany ****** you might as well give up :lol:

Edited by Evil Elvis

* small queues

* local

* good traps with no/ few no birds

* good oompany

* clubhouse / burger van

* pool shoot

* friendly competition

I think that a lot more could be done with some Essex clay grounds to make them better.

Dartford has a lovely clubhouse but the scenery and birds let it down.

Fennes has a new clubhouse ( although i havent been in it yet) but I see it purely as a practise / training ground and not somewhere to shoot regularly.

Fyfield again a practise ground

Copfurn same birds all the time and little facilities

JJ's same birds, Dartford crossing to contend with, rough clientele

Colchester Garrison good potential but ruined by silly birds / course setting

I could go on but there are common themes appearing of bad course setting and lack of facilities

I would also like to explain the need for LOCAL grounds. At this time of year regulars to nice grounds like Southdown and High Lodge will probably be complaining about queues due to the amount of non regular visitors.

This is because many people will have time on their hands and will be spoiling themselves with a day out to a nice ground. They can justify this to their family as a treat and because at this time of year work is generally slow.

The rest of the year we all have to fit our shooting round our partner / family / finances / work etc and it isnt always viable to travel 90 minutes to a nice ground as all told this will involve spending the best part of a day out of the house.