What makes a good clay ground?

majordisorder

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Cat, i think i know your true identity & we have crossed paths on the registered sporting circuit other the years, if you live in Leicestershire there is a choice of 3 registered sporting ground...i know because i travel from Essex to shoot them & i know that you do too.

Thats the hard truth of the situation, live in Essex or Herts & you have got to travel to shoot quality targets, some of the posters on here aint seen a good shoot & wouldnt know one if it smacked them in the face.....too woried about having food & parking facilities to match Bluewater or Lakeside !!!!!!!!!!!...remember the days of Fisher Reeves or Speakys shoots at Bradwell, basic food & parking...but what good targets !!!

Ah yes, halcyon days indeed, Fisher Reeves was a cracking ground, and didn't they get the entries..??, Bob certainly knew how to put on a good shoot, I still see him on the FITASC circuit. The other Bob seems to have disappeared off the face of the shooting earth, but I do remember many a happy day shooting cracking targets at Bradwell Pits, shame I've forgotten about the overdone cheeseburgers. :lol: .

It's nice to have somebody on the forum with a bit of shooting pedigree about them, but don't let the vocal Essex fraternity wind you up, they're a bunch of "dabblers", last year it was windsurfing, this year clay shooting, next year, who knows, paintballing or maybe skydiving. :rolleyes:

Cat.

It's nice to have somebody on the forum with a bit of shooting pedigree about them, but don't let the vocal Essex fraternity wind you up, they're a bunch of "dabblers", last year it was windsurfing, this year clay shooting, next year, who knows, paintballing or maybe skydiving. :rolleyes:

Cat.

We're not worthy and all that....tried all of them except skydiving (got sent home for being a naughty boy).

Now, where's that old Pull magazine, I need to bore myself to sleep by reading up on the latest internal arguments, read the CEO's monthly rant about his followers and check on the latest scores. Actually, drop the scores, the same shooters win all the main events so no need to check.

Where's the 'yawn' smiley, time for a kip.

Edited by Bagsy

As a newbie to the sport the couple if places I have shot at were fine. Toilets, tea and friendly people.

What I don't like is a mass of people behind me commenting on my shooting whilst I'm shooting. Im up for a bit of banter but when 15 people offer me advice it can be a bit confusing.

Anyone shot at Southdown Sporting Gun Club near Worthing?

I believe you can turn up and just shoot there.

I find that the attention given to scoring by my friends is a lot harsher than the "paid" trappers at ANY site in the uk. I shot jjs on boxing day and got 12 on 2 stands that i only shot 10 on each!!!!!

we are competitive amoung ourselves and we certainly dont mark our own cards! Most of us have competed at county competitions and some do very well at it, one of the grounds that we score ourselves is very challenging and very busy.

The main thing is we enjoy ourselves and once you lose sight of that and become a miserable moany ****** you might as well give up :lol:

This probably sums up the MAJORITY of clay shooters in this country,

Most that shoot do it for the crack and the company of good friends....

You can see those who see it as more than a "hobby"....ive seen people on "registered" shoots try to bully the scorer into giving them the point where all the other shooters saw the target sail on by.

They are probably the same type that if they played golf would cheat their way round to get a lower handicap just to try and impress...

Fair play to those that want to make it to the top but dont belittle those that probably have more fun and shoot as a hobby.

Shaun

Fair play to those that want to make it to the top but dont belittle those that probably have more fun and shoot as a hobby.

But by the same token, don't belittle those that want to improve their game within the CPSA system. <_<

It gets a bit boring being told that that I'm only allowed to shoot "for the craic". :blink:

But by the same token, don't belittle those that want to improve their game within the CPSA system. <_<

It gets a bit boring being told that that I'm only allowed to shoot "for the craic". :blink:

They were referring to the Suffolk boys actually and it's spelt CRACK ! :lol::P

Ah yes, halcyon days indeed, Fisher Reeves was a cracking ground, and didn't they get the entries..??, Bob certainly knew how to put on a good shoot, I still see him on the FITASC circuit. The other Bob seems to have disappeared off the face of the shooting earth, but I do remember many a happy day shooting cracking targets at Bradwell Pits, shame I've forgotten about the overdone cheeseburgers. :lol: .

Cat.

Hi Cat, thanks for your words of support, especially like the bit " on the forum with a bit of shooting pedigree" !!!

The vocal ESSEX FRATERNITY have got a long way to go in winding me up, thats for sure, shame that WEBBY is getting the blame tho :yes::yes: !!! You seem to have these guys sussed & youve hit the nail on the head using the terminology "bunch of dabblers", i bet most of them think that using a bit of choke is to get their lawnmowers started !!!, hopefully the dabblers will indulge in a bit of jaywalking on the M25 in 2011 :D:D

Hi Cat, thanks for your words of support, especially like the bit " on the forum with a bit of shooting pedigree" !!!

The vocal ESSEX FRATERNITY have got a long way to go in winding me up, thats for sure, shame that WEBBY is getting the blame tho :yes::yes: !!! You seem to have these guys sussed & youve hit the nail on the head using the terminology "bunch of dabblers", i bet most of them think that using a bit of choke is to get their lawnmowers started !!!, hopefully the dabblers will indulge in a bit of jaywalking on the M25 in 2011 :D:D

So you and cat don't agree with the big boobies :o

Yeah I'm bored of you now....you're quick to make statements but conveniently fail to answer any questions. Go and troll another site.

Bagsy,

What questions have i as you put it "conveniently failed to answer" ????, i have looked at your previous posts & cannot see any questions from you....adult or otherwise !!!, i will attempt to answer any question that you ask me, however being identified by you as "A BIG BOOBIE" only deserves the answer that your inmature comments command !!!!

I understand that it may be past your bedtime as you seem to be very infantile in your posts & that i may have to wait for your answers when you get woken by MUMMY in the morning !!! :):)

Ok Dennis, I'll ask you a question.

How does it feel to know that your site has had 3 active users in the last last 15 minutes (all of whom are guests), whereas this site has had 396?

Must be gut wrenching?

Shouldn't you be over there 'drumming up support?' :lol:

Bagsy,

What questions have i as you put it "conveniently failed to answer" ????, i have looked at your previous posts & cannot see any questions from you....adult or otherwise !!!, i will attempt to answer any question that you ask me, however being identified by you as "A BIG BOOBIE" only deserves the answer that your inmature comments command !!!!

I understand that it may be past your bedtime as you seem to be very infantile in your posts & that i may have to wait for your answers when you get woken by MUMMY in the morning !!! :):)

You didn't look very closely then. Really, I must learn not to feed the troll.

I have been to a few clay grounds. One of my favourites is Barbury, two sporting one hard one a little easier. Whats better for those that are not competition mad is a casual club, there is nothing worse than turning up at a club with a big CPSA contingent. At Barbury the coffee is free and the bacon buttie is reasonable, I wish it was nearer.

:lol::good:

BOGGSY,

I have read & reread your posts & i cannot really see any worthwhile questions generated by yourself that require a sensible & thoughtful answer, i was quiet amazed to see your reply so late into the night & can only assume that MUMMY got you up for potty training duties....we seem to be getting off the initial thread of the question in hand, so once again i will ask, if you have any questions that warrant a mature & responcible answer then please post ?????, if not make sure that all your toys are collected up & put back in the pram..for another day!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well that took longer than I expected,

Rangerman has started calling people names, showing that he has truly lost the argument. Although argument maybe the wrong word as he never managed to put up a convincing point about anything.

As for the Essex contingent not knowing anything, name the time and place and I am sure we can show you. But then you will bottle it like all the others who have ever bigged themselves up. What is that saying about talking the talk?

Shooting pedigree? Don't make me laugh, The couple of self professed elitists have googled "shooting grounds of the 70's" and are reminiscing about a couple of old Shooting times articles. I suppose next you will be discussing the smell of paper cased cartridges, or maybe the best material for muzzle loader wadding?

Do us all a favour Rangerman, go and find your stone and get back under it. :good:

RM,

Have a read through your 18 posts and maybe even you'll realise just about all of them are sarcastic condescending drivel aimed at provoking others - it didn't take long for the rest of us to realise.

Another example of the 'elite' looking down their noses at the rest of us - pedigree chump style.

You asked me what I'd put back into the sport, I answered and enquired as to what more you expected....you didn't answer.

You stated if we weren't prepared to travel then we should find another sport. I answered and asked why we should.....you didn't answer.

They really weren't that hard to find, you simply had to look for the little '?' located at the end.

I have absolutely nothing against any shooter wishing to achieve their best within the sport and wish them all well, in the same way I respect a once a year shooter who pops down to his local with his friends on Boxing day. It's a shame that you clearly don't - wishing instead to put the local shooters down and tell us to find another sport if we're not prepared to travel. The reality is that's the attitude you're putting back into the sport - well I take my hat off to you, you're a true inspiration to grass-roots shooters and newbies alike, well done, take a big pat on the back :good:

Don't bother answering the questions, you've had your chance and, as I've already said, I've tired of you now.

majordisorder - sorry for leading this thread off track, I'll bow out gracefully.