Is my puppy trying to become dominant over me only

Gareth

ITS A 1O WEEK OLD PUP! for goodness sake don't go wacking it or hitting it harder, your interactions are encouraging it if it is only doing it with you. No the other members of a wolf pack wouldn't nip it only the dam could get away with such a warning without creating all out war in the pack, they might growl, yelp turn thier backs and constantly walk away or just grin and bear it. might i suggest you try the same?

:good:

I'm new to training puppies and only acted on the advice I was given. I'd never intentionally hurt my dog or do anything bad to him.

Good news now, I've changed approach and will keep at it. He already seems to be getting the idea, sometimes.

Thanks,

Gareth

I'm new to training puppies and only acted on the advice I was given. I'd never intentionally hurt my dog or do anything bad to him.

Good news now, I've changed approach and will keep at it. He already seems to be getting the idea, sometimes.

Thanks,

Gareth

Good news Gareth!

The only dog I've ever had that tried 'nipping' out in my 20 odd years of owning/training dogs was a hyge GSD. Nipping his ear back until he yelped cured him in short order!

With all dogs, I've maintained control through body language, voice tone and calm authoritative leadership.

I'm very pleased indeed that you won't strike your dog/puppy. You don't need to :good:

Funnily enough, I've never had to get physical with any Ridgeback I've had. They have long memories and remember rough or unfair treatment. With their intelligence, I've found them by far the easiest hound to train - can't stop them clearing rooms with their gaseous emissions though. Turkey and Stuffing- '******* hell!

:blush:

A lot of advice there, you can pick and choose what you want or what works for you, one thing you have to remember is to be consistent with whatever you choose.

One thing you've got to remember is a puppy is a dog not a child, if your going to have the dog in the house he needs to stay off the furniture, as well as keeping the place clean the dog needs to know his place. You are the master, the couch is where you sit not the dog. Dog psychology works a lot different to human psychology, I suggest you get a book on dog training/psychology somewhere and start reading up on it.

Also as already suggested get enrolled in some puppy training classes, they will train you to train the dog and are well worth it.

Try holding onto his lower jaw when he bites. It worked with my pup who was a horrendous biter at first (I had cuts all over my hands). She's now 11 months old and probably would have grown out of it anyway but this has got to be a better alternative to hitting a pup.

Thanks again for all of your advice,

He is coming on better but still has some pretty bad spells, last night and tonight for example were really bad. One thing that I have noticed, which I don't know if it might be contributing or not, is that he is quite often trying to hump our draft excluder. When he was being bad tonight his 'lipstick' was out. Is this normal for a dog of his age? (Will be 12 weeks on Friday)

I'm going to get some lessons booked I think, I've never seen a puppy behave like this before, and he is as good as gold with other people. It only seems to happen at home with me and my girlfriend. We are firm with him but not too rough either. Do you have any ideas what might be causing this, or is it all normal for his age? My girlfriend is getting scared because he can be really nasty when he's on one.

Thanks,

Gareth

On 2nd thoughts, could it just be that he has lots of energy but can't do much yet? We can only take him for walks when he is vaccinated (13 weeks) to burn some energy. After his bad spell tonight, he turned friendly for 10 mins and is now fast asleep on us both. I will chuck some toys for him next time I see the bad times coming on…

12 weeks mate dont worry

if he is to bad and getting out of control have a time out with him pick him up and say nothing just put him in his crate, let him out when you both have calmed down if he starts again do it again.

puppys crave attention some pups any, weather it be bad or good as long as they are getting it

doping this prevents you losing your rag as well :lol:

Hes gonna test you both in many ways as he grows up and this is just one of them.

good news on sorting the training classes out, socialization is imperative at his age

p,s

if he were mine I would have him out on walks just not at the local park where all the dogs meet/mess.

Edited by Tom&Dexter

• 2 weeks later...

12 weeks mate dont worry

if he is to bad and getting out of control have a time out with him pick him up and say nothing just put him in his crate, let him out when you both have calmed down if he starts again do it again.

puppys crave attention some pups any, weather it be bad or good as long as they are getting it

doping this prevents you losing your rag as well :lol:

Hes gonna test you both in many ways as he grows up and this is just one of them.

good news on sorting the training classes out, socialization is imperative at his age

p,s

if he were mine I would have him out on walks just not at the local park where all the dogs meet/mess.

Totally agree with this advice. Pups hate to be excluded and if he is taken out of the situation every time he gets carried away, he will soon get the message. Absolutely no need to be walloping/pinching a pup of this age. This is your working companion-to-be I guess, do you want him to trust you or be hand shy? Your tone of voice is a crucial tool at this stage and your body language.

A little bit of brain work goes a very long way to tiring little ones out. A few simple sits, progressing onto wait/stay will go a long way. Food put inside an old plastic milk bottle on the floor will focus him on something productive rather than your hands. :) Good luck Helen.

Edited by helenthomas

Thanks for all the advice. I find now that with the knowledge you have passed onto me my mindset about him has changed. Instead of him being a little terror who wants to eat everyone, I cut him some slack because he is just wanting to play.

The dog does not get hit and hasn't for a while now. It was just a short stage where we followed maybe the wrong advice. We got him a toy which u load with treats and they (supposedly) drop out every now and again. He struggles to get anything out, so I'm liking the mill carton idea. He already has a few which he chases round the house, so some food in them should make it even more fun for him

Thanks for all the advice. I find now that with the knowledge you have passed onto me my mindset about him has changed. Instead of him being a little terror who wants to eat everyone, I cut him some slack because he is just wanting to play.

The dog does not get hit and hasn't for a while now. It was just a short stage where we followed maybe the wrong advice. We got him a toy which u load with treats and they (supposedly) drop out every now and again. He struggles to get anything out, so I'm liking the mill carton idea. He already has a few which he chases round the house, so some food in them should make it even more fun for him

How's the biting problem going?

He goes through stages really. Parts of the day he will be good, the more excited he gets the more he bites. When he gets too much I separate myself from him for a while and it all calms back down again :)

It's a pain, he's as good as gold with other people lol

if he is 10 week and teething he may prefer ice cube or frozen banana to chew on rather than your hand

or a puppy nylabone.

i use a high pitched squeek to let the pup know that it has hurt me, and stop the play by folding my arms,

or give the pup an toy to bite down on especially if teething troubles.

jan