Game Pie

liamp79

Hi guys, I want to make a game pie for a friend for over christmas and just wondered what recipes you guys use.

I so far have 2 Pheasants, a duck, 2 pigeons and a rabbit. Would like to get all of these in and make the most of them.

One thing i can't decide what to do is what type of pie to make ie. what we call a dry pie, like a pork pie OR a pie with a gravy/sauce in it.

What would you guys do/recommend??

Merry Christmas

Liam

ollie, in your recipe, roughly how much game meat would you use per recipe? I'm thinking of making it next week, i have 2 duck breasts 1 leg and thigh, 1 or 2 pheasant and a few pigeon breasts. I think i'd also make my own stock from the bird carcasses, and make a proper pie with a pastry base as well. Will your recipe work with a base put on? Many thanks, pete

ollie, in your recipe, roughly how much game meat would you use per recipe? I'm thinking of making it next week, i have 2 duck breasts 1 leg and thigh, 1 or 2 pheasant and a few pigeon breasts. I think i'd also make my own stock from the bird carcasses, and make a proper pie with a pastry base as well. Will your recipe work with a base put on? Many thanks, pete

I haven't tried the pie with a base in it so I am not sure. If you want to make your own stock from the carcasses I imagine it would only improve the recipe. The last time I made it I used about 4 woodcock breasts from the freezer, 2 pigeon breasts and the saddle of 1 rabbit; so I would imagine you have enough meat there. good luck. :good:

The "dry pie" you refer to is called a raised game pie and is made by making a water crust pastry case inside a metal pork pie ring and filling it with game meat, sausage meet and gelatin, then putting a pastry top on. The pie ring keeps the cylindrical shape when cooking. Look on the net. There will be plenty of recipes for both.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

we put pheasant,rabbit,hare,woodpigeon,venasen and maybe duck breast in red wine and water.cook on high in a slow cooker from 6p.m then turn onto low until dinner time the next day,then add the gravey into it make your pie crust then into the oven until golden brown tastes brill.