• Eley Wasp
    • Marskman
    • Eley Magnum
    • Prometheus Dynamic
    • BSA Storm
    • BSA Elite
    • Bisley Pest Control
    • Other (if so reply with which)

I, personally dont like pointed pellets, When i was out on monday i pricked a few birds ( We all do!) One of which was in a tree and i couldnt get it out, so having the air rifle shot it in the chest. It just bored a hole in it which was really nasty. I dont feel confident with the air rifle, Im now thinking of selling it and getting a semi auto and a hush power, you'd get more chance to shoot as you dont have to wait till they land <_<

Pointed pellets generally are not a accurate as round heads as they are more easily damged/made slightly "off" which will affect there accuracy,ie the point gets knocked or is not dead central,i've never really got on with them in any gun that i have owned (and there have been a few <_< )so i tend to stick to more rounded designs,they just as a rule seem more consistant :)

What went wrong with it?

What gun have you got?

I shot alot of rabbits with a .22 LR, but to be honest, i find the air rifle more satisfying, after hwaving carwaled for 50yds through a feild and pick off a bunny, than to just plain shot him at 50 yds or more. If you want to later move onto stalking deer many people say that they first lernt how to stalk deer, by stalking rabbits with an airgun. However if you do any of the sitting and waiting in say a high seat, a 22LR is better as you have the range, but if you sell the airgun it means no tree rats, roosting pigeons, sitting crows etc as you cant saely aim up with a .22

• 2 weeks later...

I think Field and Target Trophey will do for me as i have not had any animals (including big crows (you know those ones that you see every now and again those huge black ones). My mate uses eley wasps and his crows seem to have head armour as well as body and his gun is as powerful as mine.

regards

Pigeon Hunter

AA fields in .22 have the BEST Ballistics of ANY pellet and work well in most guns. The excellent ballistics mean it retains plenty of energy downrange. IN .177 again the AA field is good but Daystate FT are better. Bisley Magnums are also excellent ballistically in .177. Pointed pellets carry much less energy downrange over a good roundhead and are, how shall I say this - POINTLESS. The only time to move from a roundhead is at short range where a hollowpoint may have some uses to prevent over penetration

i use crossmans powerpells in my rapid 7 and they are very good.i must admit i shoot centre fires,rim fires and shot guns but still love to walk around with my rapid.I`ve fired air rifles since i was 8 and got my own at 11 and i still love them... :devil:

Your right neil theres no diffrence that i can tell between the two,there the same pellet apart from the power pells slight dome.I always used power pells because thats all the crossmans pellets the gun shop had at the time and i stuck to them since.There spot on and if i can hit rabbits and pigeons in the head (most of the time)at 40 yards then i`ll swear by them. :devil:

i've been trying air arms field latley,i'm very happy with them,only one complaint they could do with makng the tins (well plastic) a bit bigger as i'm gettinga few damaged ones off the top of new packs every time where they have been crushed,other than that they are perfic :devil: