Another squirrel in the bag

Hunter

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Good photo's, couldnt eat one myself i dont think, always thought of them as dirty and sly like rats, which is stupid because i know their not! Funny how animals have associations probably from childhood books and things your parents told you. I think of foxes as beautiful animals but still sly, Badgers as wise and strong, rats and squirrels as horrible sly and dirty, Weasels and stoats as inquisitive, and rabbits and pigeons as edible!

SP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello Everyone

I just joined the site,

Getting intrested in air rifle shooting. having borrowed my dads friends .117 Rifle (make unknown)

We have been plagued by Grey Squirrels in our garden and attic, so we got a live trap as well

So when i started 23\3\2010 i have trapped and shot 2 Greys upto now, but i know there are more.

I live a mere 100 yards if that, from the forest. few of the the ******* are in there.

So what is the law regarding trapping\shooting them in forests, as it doesnt belong to anyone except maybe the council

Thanks

John

Hello Everyone

I just joined the site,

Getting intrested in air rifle shooting. having borrowed my dads friends .117 Rifle (make unknown)

We have been plagued by Grey Squirrels in our garden and attic, so we got a live trap as well

So when i started 23\3\2010 i have trapped and shot 2 Greys upto now, but i know there are more.

I live a mere 100 yards if that, from the forest. few of the the ******* are in there.

So what is the law regarding trapping\shooting them in forests, as it doesnt belong to anyone except maybe the council

Thanks

John

John

You can trap them in your garden, and shoot them with air rifle if its safe to do so.

To do either in the forest you will need the land owners permission, preferebly in writing.

Please add your grey squirrel kills to the PW running count.

webber

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading the explanation, but definitely seeing the meal ready to eat made me hungry! I will definitely try it.

Normally I just take the hinds and use whats left as bait - what a waste!

I love the Squirrel taste - quite mild and has a kind of creamy texture and taste to it. My eldest loves all game but now prefers squirrel to coney.

Must pop out with the pcp on sunday and pop some off!

Cheers and thanks for the post,

Duncan

Normally I coat the cleaned and dried seasoned hinds with beaten egg, cajun spiced flour, more beaten egg and crumb, then about 2 mins in a hot oil fryer and put in hot oven for about 20 mins. Garlic or sour cream and chive dip.

The only sound you hear is the smacking of lips :yes:

Edited by The Duncan

• 5 months later...

interesting topic. i wonder what is the weirdest, or most revolting thing PW members have eaten?? i remember reading a brian plummer book a while back where he ate everything he killed or found, he said worst thing he ate was heron. but he even ate fox and badger!!

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Old thread and all but I found it very informative, thank you for putting it up. I've hunted squirrels for a while and have been tempted to try one, seems nice and simple to prepare. I'll give it a go next time I get one.

• 3 years later...

interesting topic. i wonder what is the weirdest, or most revolting thing PW members have eaten?? i remember reading a brian plummer book a while back where he ate everything he killed or found, he said worst thing he ate was heron. but he even ate fox and badger!!

I've eaten Sparrow: it was a long time ago, but if memory serves, it tasted fine. Water Hen to.

• 4 years later...