what will the pigeons feed on

number 1

• 1 month later...

Anything!!! such as ,gooseberries,strawberries,all sorts of greens(they love sprouts when they flower),tree buds,(thorn,beech),all sorts of weed,acorns,immature plums,ivy berries.........you can go on .

There are still some on rape,but you may want to look at your fields at different times of the day.My field dried up today at three when they had been starting in the afternoon before.Good luck.Farmageddon

• 3 weeks later...

I've shot over ..POPPYS...for the first time in my 23 years pigeon shooting.

I shot 56 last Friday in just under 3 hours in the pouring rain! could of had more but i was soaked to the skin and cold, so i packed up & went home .

All the best

Buzzer :lol:

i had abou 35 on some spring rape on saturday and my friend shot 167 on some other spring rape on another farm. thats the only thing there feeding on in this area but we have more peas this year than any other year i can remember i have only had one day on peas this year that resulted in only 26.

i we have more peas this year than any other year i can remember i have only had one day on peas this year that resulted in only 26.

:lol: Reading and talking in the chat room, it seems the same story all over the country. For some reason they seem to be giving the peas a miss this year. We have had 1 good day on peas just when they were sprouting through but we are only finding them on rape at the moment. Spring rape that is flowering and on the bare patches on winter rape that has finished flowering.

In the past at this time of year the bulk of pigeon shooting in this area has only been on peas but for some reason rape is their favourite at the moment. :lol:

Look out for fields of winter Barley - with all the wet weather followed by sunshine we have been having, it won't be long before it gets laid and they are hammering it...!!!

I'm not too keen on shooting over it myself, because you lose a lot of birds in the standing stuff that you can't get at, but my mates have no such scruples and regularly shoot big bags from late June thro' to the end of July when the woodies become pre-occupied with the swathed rape.

Anybody else reluctant to see winged birds lost in the fields...:lol:

ME! I hate to lose wounded birds but will shoot birds into standong crops if they are doing damage.I always mark runners and send the dog.I have not shot swathed rape ,but a dog would make one hell of a mess if let loose.

I usually walk her to heel up and down wheelings or roadways when in crops and let her wind downed birds,this prevents damage and retreives most of the birds.

"I'm not too keen on shooting over it myself, because you lose a lot of birds"

Double H,

your spot on with that comment as a lot of people have declared war on pigeons and feel the need to shoot at everyone they see regardless. A wounded bird hopping around the countryside found by an anti would do our sport no favours which true countryman are trying so hard to protect.

Crapshot

Hear Hear

:lol:

Where I am in oxfordshire they seam to be all over the newly planted grass and clover Im going to ask the game keeper if I can have a shot or two at them. What I want to know is were have all the rooks gone? the ones in the wood out the back of my house are gone all day, dad says their out feeding on his crops! Hes proberly right but I havent seen them about.