what 4x4

nathanhutchison

(dont know how to quote on this forum) but i wouldnt mind seing the jimny of road well need to arrange that sometime :good: . i would be planing on getting rid of back seets as the ones in my current car only get used by the dog.

i think the im pretty much sold the jimny now though as loads of people around the net seem to think theire good

I'm sorry to hijack your thread nathan but i think my question could help us both....

Many years ago my Dad had a Subaru Justy and my Mum had a Fiat Panda i would regard both cars were small runarounds, with a 4x4 button. Can anybody suggest the modern version of a similar car?

Cheers

Aled

Fiat Panda 4x4 http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/fiat/panda-4x4-2005

Suzuki SX4 http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/suzuki/sx4-crossover/summary/25515-3

Skoda Yeti http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/skoda/yeti-crossover/summary/25837-3

IMPREZA 1.5 RC http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/newreviews/211018/specs/subaru_impreza.html?spec=SUBCIMP0213

Few others depends on budget

Edited by HDAV

ive a shogun pinin 2l petrol.paid £1700 for it.its on a 51 plate 74000 on the clock.im getting about 27 to 30 to the gallon.just got four new insa turbo general 4x4 tyres fitted and its great on the road but even better of the road.look in to buying one mate cause it cant fault it.

daz

Although i would always recommend a landrover to anyone in any situation in this case i would also recommend the wee suzuki.

The Jimny is used by a couple of river boards for their works, and that includes quite a bit of off roading. They are small, cheap to ensure, good enough off road, and not too expensive to run. I speak to the bailiffs regularly and they rave about them, ok, not quite rave but they think they they are quite adequate. I also have a couple of shooting pals that use other suzuki models and they are good off road.

Suzuki Jimny all the way! Myself and my friend both have landrovers but we bought a Jimny between us as it is just so easy to get around in it, it's light enough to bounce over what could potentially bog down a landrover etc....and as ashamed as we are to say the jimny has actually towed out bigger 4x4's....

They really are superb! they are by no means a comfy car for duel carriage ways or fast road miles but are fine if you just accept that 60mph is about all you can cruise along at....

We have had ours through some SERIOUS terrain, and have broken one transfer box mount hitting extreme boulders....also in the cold weather the rear drums are prone to freezing on, ours is over 90k miles and we have just done a clutch on it which wasnt all that bad a job if it wasn't for the fact it was covered in ice and snow at the time!

go for a jimny! you will not be disapointed! a proper 4x4 with proper low range box and well geared....i would put one up against most other 4x4's with the right tyres!

Regards,

Gixer

post-10812-0-51488200-1293913121.jpg

Edited by gixer1

I have a friend who sells Land Rovers etc, and he says prices have risen during the recent cold weather quite a lot. It might be worth waiting till the Spring when prices may have come down, otherwise you run the risk of paying an inflated price. Look at some of the Defenders on Ebay, some of the prices are crazy.

i have a 2.0 pinin - its actually a commercial vehicle which means the insurance is really cheap!!! even for me - 17. Not too slugish compared to some aswell, 0-60 in like 10 secs :lol:

who did you get your insurance with as I will hopefully be getting a 4x4 in a few months and have previously looked at insurance but couldnt find anything under 3 or 4 grand?

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to start another thread about deciding on a new 4x4 but i didnt want to hi jack someone else's

anyway. after the recent snow and move to a farm and my fac coming through. ive decided i want to replace my clio with a 4x4.

my problem with this though is that im a young driver so i need to find somthing not more than 2.0L and not more than £1200 in worth.

now i dont know what to expect for this price but i would be looking for somthing reliable and not needing work done majorly or imediatly. im not to fussed about millage as long as its reliable.

i would be looking to use it for small daily trips, a little off road but not anything more than rocky/ bumpy farm tracks and field margins.

can anyone recomend somthing (if anything) that comes close to my needs?

:good:

Get a tax exempt Landrover petrol model, cheap to insure, loads of cheap parts around. Look for a galv chassis one

for insurance try nfu mutual they insured my nissan navara when i was 17 for £900 its have a look its on 1 off my post..

That is a nice car for 17 :good: , I have heard that NFU will only insure you if you have farm cover is this true?

• 2 months later...