barrel length

telf

hello all,merry xmas and a happy new year.Now the question,i am thinking of buying a sako quad varmint .17hmr,but would like the barrel shortened to 15,16",but when i enquired with GMK was told from a very unhelpful man that on no account should the barrel be shortened as it would affect accuracy etc as the twist in the barrel was made for that length barrel.But on looking on forums and word of mouth varios people seem to have quads with barrels cut down to 14-16".Any help,advice on the subject appreciated,also SAKO QUAD OR ANSHUTZ 1517 .17 HMR which is best,

Chopping the barrel will not affect the accuracy, but you will lose velocity, roughly equates to a 25-50 fps less velocity for every inch chopped off.

I have an 18" Anschutz 1517 and it does 2450 fps over the chrono, most ammunition is quoted as 2550 fps out of the factory from a 24" barrel.

Chose what suits you best.

If you got the money I would go for an Annie or a Quad, they all shoot pretty much the same as a CZ but they are much nicer things to hold and use IMO

I have an Annie thumbhole with the short barrel and it is as accurate as any other hmr that it has been compared against.

On the same theme, many moons ago I had a 22-250 and with the original 'screw on the end' moderators that were available at that time, the whole rifle was far too unwieldy and heavy.

So, I had the barrel chopped by 4", and all the expert advice was that I would lose 50 fps per 1" removed (i.e. i would lose c.200 fps). That rifle was just as accurate after the barrel was shortened, although with the moderator not fitted the muzzel blast was, er, ferocious.

So, as others have said, with a short barrel you will lose some velocity, but the rabbit at 100 yards will not notice as it will be extremely dead.

Don

It sounds to me like the guy you spoke to is talking out of his back side! I cant speak for Sakos but I have a CZ452 in 17HMR which had a 20 inch Varmint barrel - I had it cut back to 16 inch, re-threaded and re-crowned and if anything it has ended up fractionally more accurate than it was before - As for the velocity/power difference - There may well be a minimal velocity/power difference but I have yet to find a rabbit that wanted to tell me there was any significant power difference! :lol:

so if you order a 16" barrel from the factory instead of getting a 20" and cutting 4" off yourself ,Does that mean you dont loose any fps as in 50fps per inch ?????????????????

i wasn t aware you could order a 16" barrel from the factory,the way he came over to me was it was only a 22"you could get and nothing else,unless i was talking to the cleaner possibly

Hi , i was only jokeing mate in that if the factory cut the barrel you would not loose power but if you did yourself you would !! of coarse a rabbit is not going to tell the difference between 50/100fps none i know anyway , i do have a 13" barrel on my HW60J ,16" on the HMR both factory models and both deadly accurate

Edited by bongo321

Hi , i was only jokeing mate in that if the factory cut the barrel you would not loose power but if you did yourself you would !! of coarse a rabbit is not going to tell the difference between 50/100fps none i know anyway , i do have a 13" barrel on my HW60J ,16" on the HMR both factory models and both deadly accurate

thanks for all the help,obviously gmk dont want us cutting barrels down willy-nilly,but by the response there is no or very little harm in doing so.At the moment i am leaning towards the quad as it will only be left in hmr,but seems to be the better gun by all acounts, and the apparent shortage of them second hand compared to anschutz.the only thing that is putting me off anschutz is the fact that the bolt seems to be able to be knocked up causing misfires,any more input to this would be appreciated