shooting a fox with a PCP?

jacksdad

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But what if I could tune my rifle to, for arguments sake, 24 ftlb?

Just how much power would be needed to do a clean job......

I'm thinking of applying for an air rifle FAC but would this be any use? (I very much doubt I'd get a full FAC due to my home, rented flat, etc.?)

You would need fox as a condition for your FAC air in that case, which as far as I am aware (as a FAC holder but not FAC air) never happens.

Forget airguns for foxes. Either get hold of a shotgun or a shotgunner if they are that close.

cocks

No you cant shoot cocks either with an Air rifle...best to Wring their necks or cut the head off with a sharp axe.... :yes:

Take my advice..go back to the Dealer who sold you your Air rifle and tell him you want a bigger one to Kill foxes with and see what he says... ;)

Make it your new years resolution to visit the Basc website and do a bit of cramming on your proposed quarry and the best tool for the job. Oh and stay off the Wacky Baccy :lol:

I am listening and learning, but why do you think its safe to shoot a rabbit in the head at 60 mtrs. with an approx force of 3 ft lb, yet its not on to shoot a fox at 15 mtrs with a force of about 10 ft lbs? I'm just looking for an answer, nothing else :good:

It only takes a couple of fpe to crack a bunnies cranium and mash the brain. Think of it as a light bulb surrounded by an orange skin.

I think the overwhelming answer is no to shooting foxes with airguns - sorry they were a bit harsh here and there.

In theory, I reckon 10 fpe is plenty to crack charlies skull twixt ear and eye, but I wouldn't risk it.

Some forces allow .22 RF for close range foxing - definitely not the best calibre for dedicated foxing, butit works at close range.

I applaud you for asking here about your query and that shows you are a responsible bloke.

Good on you and good luck :yes:

Duncan

You can shoot a fox with an air rifle:) Killing it is another story. It may die in pain.

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO USE AIR RIFLES for anything larger than Rabbits.

Whoever does it could land in trouble with Police and RSPCA if reported and One should ask himself it this is a humane thing to do.

There have been accidents when people died by being shot by airguns hence they are lethal if pellet hits in the wrong place.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2657792/Boy-10-killed-in-air-gun-shooting.html

Obviously SUCH act would do no favours to airgun community either.

Guys don't get me wrong.

It is not an inflammatory comment and Is not addressed to any member, but the airgun law is being steeped up because of them being misused by a couple of people.

ATB

Sorin

Could you please elaborate as to what law that is?

It only takes a couple of fpe to crack a bunnies cranium and mash the brain. Think of it as a light bulb surrounded by an orange skin.

I think the overwhelming answer is no to shooting foxes with airguns - sorry they were a bit harsh here and there.

In theory, I reckon 10 fpe is plenty to crack charlies skull twixt ear and eye, but I wouldn't risk it.

Some forces allow .22 RF for close range foxing - definitely not the best calibre for dedicated foxing, butit works at close range.

I applaud you for asking here about your query and that shows you are a responsible bloke.

Good on you and good luck :yes:

Duncan

Another biological gem from the man who claimed that there are several inches of muscle covering a pigeon breast :lol:

I may have misinterpreted the text on BASC website hence here it is.

If I'm mistaking please correct me as I din't want to send out the wrong message.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/air-rifles.cfm

Principal quarry for air rifles

BIRDS: (covered by the general licences) crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons.

MAMMALS: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits

Live quarry shooting

Many people shoot live quarry, either on their own land or where they have permission. The species which you can shoot are limited by the law and by the effective power of an air rifle.

All birds are protected, and although there are seasons when you can legally shoot game, and some wildfowl, they are not suitable quarry for air rifles. However, as long as you are complying with firearms law, you can shoot certain pest bird species. These are covered by general licences which, in simple terms, mean you can shoot the birds listed, provided you have the landowner’s permission and provided you are doing it for one of the reasons allowed by the licence.

These reasons include:

to protect crops

to protect game and wildlife

to protect public health or safety

BASC recommends that anyone wishing to take bird pest species should read BASC’s advice on general licences, which is available on its website www.basc.org.uk

You can shoot mammal pests at any time provided you have the landowner’s permission. Air rifles are suitable for: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits.

Edited by tsg

If I'm mistaking please correct me as I din't want to send out the wrong message.

BIRDS: (covered by the general licences) crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons.

Live quarry shooting

Many people shoot live quarry, either on their own land or where they have permission. The species which you can shoot are limited by the law and by the effective power of an air rifle.

All birds are protected, and although there are seasons when you can legally shoot game, and some wildfowl, they are not suitable quarry for air rifles. However, as long as you are complying with firearms law, you can shoot certain pest bird species. These are covered by general licences which, in simple terms, mean you can shoot the birds listed, provided you have the landowner’s permission and provided you are doing it for one of the reasons allowed by the licence.

These reasons include:

to protect crops

BASC recommends that anyone wishing to take bird pest species should read BASC’s advice on general licences, which is available on its website www.basc.org.uk

You can shoot mammal pests at any time provided you have the landowner’s permission. Air rifles are suitable for: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits.

BASC as worthy as it is does not make law. What you have published is advice, not legislation.

cor, you exaggerate once and pay for it for a life time :lol:

I was just wondering what voltage a rabbit's head is and is the bulb a screw fit or bayonet?

here is another one for you chaps, just prior to xmas my cousin phoned me saying what would be a good pcp buy fo around 300 quid new or s/h, not having a gun before i told him he should go fo a springer first as they ae simpler to use etc,ANYWAY here it comes. he told me it had to be a pcp as he has a security job near harlow where he has been told he can shoot rabbits,(FAIR ENOUGH I THOUGHT)BUT HERE COMES THE BOMBSHELL, he also intended to shoot munjac with it to make money on the side, after about an hour arguing with him that he would harm them and most probably never actually clean kill one,plus it was illegal, he was still insistant thats what he was going to do, anyway on the upside i found out after speaking to his dad he was lending him the cash,i told him said story and now refuses to give his son the cash,my cousin no longer speaks to me,ho hum,,,,,,,hope he doesnt confuse me with some one who gives a ****, cheers matt

I use an air rifle too.

They start to move around in the trap when you approach, after a minute, they calm down, you can than place the gun on top of their head, and it is instant death. I always put another immediately behind the ears pointing slightly forward. I also got this from the Firearms officer, when I asked him if I could use my shotgun in the garden to despatch them. He said yes, if I did it 100 metres from the nearest house, and the shot was going into a good backstop - not ricocheting off the cage. For that reason, he said an air rifle touching the head was the best thing in an urban garden.

With an air rifle, I would never shoot at a fox other than when it is subdued in a trap, with the muzzle on its head.

No you cant shoot cocks either with an Air rifle...best to Wring their necks or cut the head off with a sharp axe.... :yes:

Take my advice..go back to the Dealer who sold you your Air rifle and tell him you want a bigger one to Kill foxes with and see what he says... ;)

Make it your new years resolution to visit the Basc website and do a bit of cramming on your proposed quarry and the best tool for the job. Oh and stay off the Wacky Baccy :lol:

in most cases the line (go back to the dealer and see what he says) is spot on but one dealer i went to a few months ago, it was in Bedfordshire, and not my regular one in Bedford.

i went to him while out looking for a 12g cart for close up foxes when i asked him could i shoot a fox at 15 yards away with my normal 32g 6s his reply was you can kill a fox with an air rifle at that range,

i stood in dis belief at what he had just said and told him that i couldn't believe people would even attempt it to which he replied he knows of people that have, and even people that have shot muntjack with a 12flb air rifles.

with gun dealers like that its no wonder you get questions on these forums like the one that started this discussion off

colin

You can shoot a fox with an air rifle:) Killing it is another story. It may die in pain.

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO USE AIR RIFLES for anything larger than Rabbits.

Whoever does it could land in trouble with Police and RSPCA if reported and One should ask himself it this is a humane thing to do.

ATB

Sorin

Could you please elaborate as to what law that is?

Live quarry shooting

These reasons include:

to protect crops

BASC as worthy as it is does not make law. What you have published is advice, not legislation.

Happy new year all :good: , this is a gem for starters, I was going there but UK Poacher got in first.

There is NO specific law that stops an air rifle being used on "Almost" anything in this country. There are of course some VERY powerful air rifles available!

The laws all come back to cruelty, undue suffering and the likes, and any individual prosecution would have to be proved on that basis, and not the simple fact an air rifle was used.

ATB!

PS

Time to close this one I think, I can only see grief on the horizon!

Thanks for all the posts giving reasons NOT to shoot a fox with my air rifle. I felt that in theory hitting a fox in the head from as close as 10 mtrs would do the job, what I didn't want to do was spend the rest of the night looking for a wounded animal: If I shot it and it run I would have to go find it, no question.

I've asked first and if I ignore the blatant insults as to my mental capacity, got told the answer :good:

My neighbours boyfriend has a shotgun and is a member of BASC so I will be asking her/him today!

Happy New Year to all....including the 2 foxes still (for now) on the farm ! :rolleyes:

All I can say is well done for asking the question mate, nothing wrong with that.

But call your local firearms officer and see what he says, ask him what the lowest calibre rifle for close range foxing is then compare thy to an air rifle.

I'm not denying you couldn't kill a fox with an air rifle but there's a difference between a clean humane kill and murdering an animal.

Have respect for your quarry mate, show them the respect they deserve whatever it is be it a jinking woodcock or a chicken killing fox.