shooting a fox with a PCP?

jacksdad

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One farm I have just got permission on for vermin, crows etc. has now got a pair of foxes trying to get into the yard. They come right up to the sheepdogs, they know how long the nightime leads on the dogs are, so simply skirt around them :angry:

The farmer says he can even see them from his armchair, they come so close....so can I cleanly drop them, from about 15 mtrs, with a PCP, and using what pellets?

I think you will find, FAC is FAC be it air rifle, rimfire or centre fire. If you can get one you should be able to get any of them, and then you can sort your own fox problems with the right tools for the job.

But what if I could tune my rifle to, for arguments sake, 24 ftlb?

Some perspective for you. The .17 HMR has a muzzle energy of (about) 245 ftlb, ten times greater than your theoretical tuned PCP. Arguments rage on here all the time as to whether the HMR is man enough for fox. Lots of people think it isn't and many police forces don't allow it for fox. So how is something with one tenth of it's power going to be man enough? :hmm:

If you shoot a fox with any air rifle, FAC or not (unless PB behind the ear) you will only succeed in inflicting a painful wound and make yourself liable for a very well deserved prison sentence for gross cruelty.

I agree, hence the post!

trouble is, they don't want shotguns on the farm, cos they scare the sheep/dogs/walkers and so on

How about traps, snares and such?

Are you familiar with Hushpower shotguns? The 410 is about as loud as a springer air rifle. Before anyone jumps on ME, I am not suggessting that this would be the ideal dedicated foxing tool - but at very close range it would do the job and has to be a million times better than an air rifle. Preferably the Mossberg pump in case a quick follow up shot is needed.

Edit: obviously agree with Maverick123 below that a 12 bore would be better still.

Edited by HW682

.22 cal? With a 21 gr pellet at 11.6ftlb the energy at 15m would be roughly 10ftlb on the target. If you shot it in the side of the head, just behind the eye, it would kill it. BUT.... It would need to be EXACTLY that kind of shot placement, at THAT distance. No way would I do it. And of course, its not allowed......

give the bloke a break he asked can you shoot a fox with an air rifle.not stated that he'd been shooting foxes with one.

and yes he did state that he'd seen people shoot fox/small deer with an air rifle but not himself.

it makes me laugh how people jump on people for posting a stupid question in their eye's.but what's more stupid,going out there and doing it without asking?

i was always told if you don't ask you won't learn.

all the best for the new year

russ :good:

I am listening and learning, but why do you think its safe to shoot a rabbit in the head at 60 mtrs. with an approx force of 3 ft lb, yet its not on to shoot a fox at 15 mtrs with a force of about 10 ft lbs? I'm just looking for an answer, nothing else :good:

The guides are based on body shots, not head shots. Therefore you need a HELL of a lot more energy to drop a target with a body shot, unless you have xray vision and can see the heart and have the energy to get through fat, muscle and bone to get to it.. We all know roughly where it is, but angles, target size etc makes that difficult. Ergo, deliver hundreds of ftlb to it and it will kill it. Head shot needs soooo much less energy, but its a MUCH more difficult shot to take.

Bottom line is- Don't risk it. As others say, respect your quarry. If you do, report back and let us know how you did.... :P

Edited by pabs

and yes he did state that he'd seen people shoot fox/small deer with an air rifle but not himself.

Point taken Russ, and he's getting the advice he needs but, this is the bit I am struggling with. What would you do or say if you saw someone shoot at and wound a deer with an air rifle? Chalk it up to experience and crack on?

Cheers Russ, at last a sensible answer!

I am indeed asking what is best, nothing else :good:

For the record, I have seen a fox and a deer shot with air rifle, one shot each, but they could have been using undeclared FAC rifles which go to 80 ft lbs!

Are you actually an anti looking for some idot child to agree with you? :rolleyes: another good reason to report them :yes:

You can shoot a fox with an air rifle:) Killing it is another story. It may die in pain.

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO USE AIR RIFLES for anything larger than Rabbits.

Whoever does it could land in trouble with Police and RSPCA if reported and One should ask himself it this is a humane thing to do.

There have been accidents when people died by being shot by airguns hence they are lethal if pellet hits in the wrong place.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2657792/Boy-10-killed-in-air-gun-shooting.html

Obviously SUCH act would do no favours to airgun community either.

Guys don't get me wrong.

It is not an inflammatory comment and Is not addressed to any member, but the airgun law is being steeped up because of them being misused by a couple of people.

ATB

Sorin

Does anyone here catch foxes in a trap?

How do you kill them then?

Alan.

With a 12 gauge shotgun at safe distance or a .22rf or .410 shotgun by pinning thier head down with a tool similar to a hay fork and poking the muzzle right up to the brain, other ways work and are humane but anyone who tries any air rifle needs to end up in court. I did here of a fool who fired his deer rifle into the trap- it killed the fox and the trap to boot, luckily no people at the same time :rolleyes: