Mitsubishi shogun head gasket

starlight32

Well after many years of good service, my shogun has had it first major hiccup.

Head gasket went this afternoon on the way out shooting. Like I said been good to me had it from nearly new and stuck with it.Went through the MOT last month with only 50 quids worth of work and one advisory.

So is it a case of an un-economical repair? It is 96 on a P plate, just turned 100,000 miles. What do you reckon?

the club above is a good place to start am a member there as well with my shogun

I do have to ask is it a 2.4 or 2.8????

If it a 2.4 NOW is to time to think of dropping in a 2.8 (not saying do it just have a think)

now to the gasket you might be better off getting a garage you know to do it

I am abit handy with cars not in the trade just a few socket sets.

And when you look at it you need to remove the head fit new gasket the head MAY need skimming

OR replacing then fitting TORQUED down correctly.

Then timing belt/chain refitted and timed then back again some time later for re-torquing

and if you do all that and it goes wrong your fault

take it to a garage THEY have to re do it all and really you shouldn't have to pay as the job would not have been done correctly

for that to happen.

If yours is a GOOD shogun then do it

the club above is a good place to start am a member there as well with my shogun

I do have to ask is it a 2.4 or 2.8????

If it a 2.4 NOW is to time to think of dropping in a 2.8 (not saying do it just have a think)

now to the gasket you might be better off getting a garage you know to do it

I am abit handy with cars not in the trade just a few socket sets.

And when you look at it you need to remove the head fit new gasket the head MAY need skimming

OR replacing then fitting TORQUED down correctly.

Then timing belt/chain refitted and timed then back again some time later for re-torquing

and if you do all that and it goes wrong your fault

take it to a garage THEY have to re do it all and really you shouldn't have to pay as the job would not have been done correctly

for that to happen.

If yours is a GOOD shogun then do it

Its the 2.5 glx turbo diesel, uk spec not an import.

Probably can be fixed (unless like James says it's cracked or gone porous), but you'd be better off finding a local spanner to do it for you - as a main garage will charge a pricely sum.

When mine went on the Frontera I also did the timing belt and water pump at the same time. Had the head checked and skimmed by Corry http://www.corrycylinderheads.co.uk/

Look on ebay new headset's (gasket, bolts etc) can be picked up there for not a huge ammount

So you have the timing belt version oppose to the chain

My shogun is a 2.8 uk spec.

I ask etc as the 2.8 feels better for things such as towing and off road

MPG varies.

A DIY is do-able IF you know your cars- depending on what you have to do

IE if the head is shot you'll need to fit the came etc to a new head set it up

fit the head time the engine- Its like anything once you know its easy

BUT that is also the problem I would still say a local small garage with a good reputation

to do it.

I done a Pinto engine easy to do now but took me two weeks 1st time

and I had to get other tools to do it I reckon there was £50-£75 saving for doing it myself

Its only because I am a car nut (as well a shooting sportsman) that I done it myself.

just priced mine up to do.

j reg 2.5td glx parts would cost me [all plus vat]

£38 head set

£18 head bolts

£39 t/belt and tensioner

£25 head skim

not that hard to do as i started to strip mine because i thought it had bent valves when the t/belt jumped but as i since found out the 2.5 dont bend valves they snap rockers i started to strip the head off but thankfully i didnt loosen the head before i learnt about the rockers but fairly straight forward job [having said that it is my trade]

its a little early to have one of the iffy heads, but even if it does then the repair isn't mega money as you can buy the bare heads for £300 or fully built up for £500. If you're half handy with spanners I'd attempt yourself otherwise you're looking at £800 or thereabouts worst case if it needs a head. If its not worth spending that then get it on ebay, projects sell almost better than vehicles that work on there