Bean Drillings

CrapShot

This year on the land that i shoot they have planted beans. When they first drilled the field a few birds spotted it and started feeding so the farmer contacted me and asked me to soot them. I had a couple of hours early morning and shot 20 but then the birds stopped coming so i packed up. I have since been back to check the field and there has not been a single woodie on there.

Will the birds come back when the crop starts to come through ?

I don,t think you will see any more pigeons on the beans now they have started growing.

Your next good times will not be until they have been harvested and you can look forward to a few hectic days when the combine has done its work.

Just hope that the farmer doesn,t plough it up straightway as they often do, especially after cutting the rape. <_<

I did once have a good session on a bean field that had sprouted, the birds were pulling up the beans and taking the chitted bean off the plant. At the time it was one of the only food sources in my area so I should think this was why the birds were willing to work that bit harder for a feed.

I have also had a a bit of sport from a bean field just prior to harvesting, the plants had been forced over by strong wind and rain, the pigeons were able to land all over the field and get at damaged pods.

I must admit that this has only happened a couple of times. This year considerably more beans have been sown so it will be intereting to see when the birds feed on them again.

The field i shoot is between a rape field and wood.Me and a mate have shot over a 150 since drilling.Best day was 72.The farmer hates to see a pigeon on his fields so we keep going,in return we can do as we want on his land.I dont expect many more until the combines come out.