How many of us are "Obese"?

Frenchieboy

As many of you will know I quit smoking some 14 months ago and I am really proud of myself for managing it! I was on around 50 a day and now it is NONE!

The problem that I have now is the weight! To put it quite simply -

I am getting dangerously over weight!

I am just a fraction over 5' 6" tall and weigh 86 kg - That gives me a BMI of 32.5 where they say that a BMI of 18 - 24 is the acceptable level - My waste size had gone up from 34" to 38" in under a year and sideways on I look like a Fat Silverback Gorilla in the mirror - Believe me that is not a pretty sight!

This makes me "Clinically Obese".

I went to my doctor and asked for help and this turned out to be the best thing I could have done. My doctor has refered me to a dietician who is working out a suitable diet for me and has also put me on an "Exercise Referal Programme". I now have a "Personal Trainer" who I see at least twice a week and I have and exercise regime that I follow rigorously every day. I have had to buy some exercise equipment (Not too expensive) but when I weigh out (Oops, No pun intended) the benefits against the costs it is all worth it!

My target weight is about 77 kg, I know it's not going to be easy and it will not happen overnight but I will get there. It hasn't been very easy to stick to any sort of a diet or exercise routine over the Christmas period but now that the New Year is over there are no excuses so i am going to pull out all the stops and go for it!

Is there anyone else in a similar position that would care to join me and offer encouragement, help and advice to each other rather like we did with the "PigeonWatch Quit Smoking Group"?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done on quitting and best of luck with your next challenge.

I cant really offer any advice at all, but maybe it might help the others if you give us an idea of your diet. Albeit i'm sure you have discussed this at exhausting length with the doctors/personal trainer.

Best of luck!

anyone wanting free exercise equipment should try registering with there local freecycle i have given away walkers , steppers, and an exercise bike, and such gear comes up often. good luck with your program :good:

Edited by holly

anyone wanting free exercise equipment should try registering with there local freecycle i have given away walkers , steppers, and an exercise bike, and such gear comes up often. good luck with your program :good:

That really is a TOP TIP Holly! I am registered with Freecycle in our area and it is a brilliant sceme, and not just for exercise equipment! Thanks for the input!

Firstly well done with the quitting smoking, i done the same about many years ago.

I have also been on a diet since the summer and have lost just over 2 stone giving me a normal BMI. The Christmas period is difficult and i can feel i have put a few pounds back on, but i don't beat myself up about this and starting Wednesday i will be back on the healthy diet again. (Shooting Monday and Tuesday both driven days with dinner and lunch included)

Good luck with it.

i find it hard to diet,i eat quite healthily but i eat a lot.i'm just over 6'1" and around 18.5 stone,its not all flab as i'm quite a strong active type.the only way i find to lose weight is more exercise,i started to do just over an hours walking each day,it works out about 4 miles.and i've started to pick my weights back up recently.excercising is like an addiction,i used to swim twice a week,kick box twice a week and go down the gym a couple of times a week.i dont do any them things now,like i say exercise is like an addiction,if your hearts in it you will do it.

well done frenchieboy on quitting,i stopped about 4 weeks ago,it is really hard,i'd love a roll up now and then but i'm not giving up giving up.

as for the weight i'm about the same shape and size as you(maybe a little bit slimmer :P )i say if they don't like what they see then don't look :good:

i'll worry about the weight a bit later,once i've cracked the smoking bit

Yeh, focus on the positive that you've kicked a 50-a-day habit. That's no mean feat, and something anybody should be proud of. :good:

You just need to find the same desire to kick the junk. Try to remember exactly WHY you wanted to give up smoking, and find similar motives for the weight. Forget everyone else, and do it for yourself. If you diet for others, you'll end up resenting the whole process, and it'll sputter to a stop, and even be counter-productive.

I've shifted a stone in weight over the last couple of months, and i'm slowly getting back to a "Normal" :rolleyes: BMI. I've never been very overweight, though tbh, but there's a real sense of self-belief when you achieve something you've set out to do.

Best wishes on the journey :good:

A few years ago I was 6ft 1" and just over 18st.

Pretty much knocked alcohol on the head and have been 16st for the last couple of years.

According to my BMI I'm just under being obese, and to be slap bang in the 'healthy' zone I should be just under 12st. :o

**** OFF!!!!

my weight for height age etc should be around 12stone which I havent been for around 23 years. I dont think im fat at 1 point I was 18 stone and was in the gym every night so no fat but a bmi calc would have said I was obese. my theory is if your happy with your size then sod 'em all if your not then knocking beer on the head is proberly the quickest way

Edited by ST3V3

As many of you will know I quit smoking some 14 months ago and I am really proud of myself for managing it! I was on around 50 a day and now it is NONE!

The problem that I have now is the weight! To put it quite simply -

I am getting dangerously over weight!

I am just a fraction over 5' 6" tall and weigh 86 kg - That gives me a BMI of 32.5 where they say that a BMI of 18 - 24 is the acceptable level - My waste size had gone up from 34" to 38" in under a year and sideways on I look like a Fat Silverback Gorilla in the mirror - Believe me that is not a pretty sight!

This makes me "Clinically Obese".

I went to my doctor and asked for help and this turned out to be the best thing I could have done. My doctor has refered me to a dietician who is working out a suitable diet for me and has also put me on an "Exercise Referal Programme". I now have a "Personal Trainer" who I see at least twice a week and I have and exercise regime that I follow rigorously every day. I have had to buy some exercise equipment (Not too expensive) but when I weigh out (Oops, No pun intended) the benefits against the costs it is all worth it!

My target weight is about 77 kg, I know it's not going to be easy and it will not happen overnight but I will get there. It hasn't been very easy to stick to any sort of a diet or exercise routine over the Christmas period but now that the New Year is over there are no excuses so i am going to pull out all the stops and go for it!

Is there anyone else in a similar position that would care to join me and offer encouragement, help and advice to each other rather like we did with the "PigeonWatch Quit Smoking Group"?

packed the ciggies in just over two years ago, same as yorself gone from 34" waist to a 38" gone from 12.5 stonne to 15.5 stonne. I don't exersise as such but can walk upto 10 miles a day in my employment

You will rarely ever achieve your perfect "chart" weight as they are written by psychotic lunatics. Although somewhat of a chubber now, my best weight was 11st 12lbs in 1991 when i was runnings marathons, cycling miles and swimming long distances - For 5ft 9 i was still over a stone overweight!!!

Stick to what you're comfortable with and unless you're way off the scale ignore the BMI ratings - They are generalisations.

Having said all that, i gave the fags up last November, changed my employer and am now using the local weighbridge to check my weight (On the basis that i clocked my scales back in October - according to them i weigh 3 lbs!!).

First of all fella,well done on the coffin nails and never go back to them.Secondly,get the BMI right out of your head and get a weight that you know you are comfortable at in there.The BMI is a very false goal as it doesnt take muscle mass and body build into account and its time this was addressed.Im probably comfortable at fourteen and a halfish stone and at the moment i will be about 16 which i feel **** at but im like this every winter.The day i get back to work i will have a new frame of mind and will hit the gym 5 days a week and the junk food will be put to the side until the weekend when i let myself eat what i want but i wont go over the score.Set yourself a target date and date all weight loss and try and keep on target.To give yourself more of an incentive post a pic of the scales with you on,and post weekly to hit a target and get someone else involved to up the stakes with a wee bet or something.If you fancy the forum route,set a target and if you dont meet it donate a fee to a charity like Mrs Sweepys walk and that way either you lose out to a good cause or you meet your target and get healthy.Ill make you a deal the now.If we agree your target is 3 pounds a week loss,then if you meet that i will donate that in £s ,up to a max of £20,im not that stupid!!,and if not you pay £3 into it.

As for losing the beef,get out the house and keep occupied.As long as you are burning more than eating the weight loss should come.You dont have to gym it all,walking anywhere and everywhere works wonders.

Well done Pete on giving up the smokes - I must give it up myself.

Cant help with the fitness side, but I have some phrases that might help ..

I am festively plump :unsure:

You need a big hammer to knock in a big nail :lol:

Just big boned ;) !

Every time I bang Your Mrs she gives me a biscuit, its her fault :hmm: !

Its the fuel tank for my love machine :o !

Good luck chap & all the best for 2011 :good:

hey im not obese im just a fat ****** !

I'm with you on this one I'm FAT not ( OBESE ) where the hell did that word come from I think it's the politically correct people again frightened that if they say someone is fat they will clam that you are being abusive not just honest. it's the same with coloured people ie Indians etc we have to call them BLACK when most of them are not black at all just light brown.

Forgot to add I gave up the fags about five years ago I was a bit Rotund before giving up but could not keep away from sweets and food and ended up putting on a stone .

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Right I'm 6ft and way 15stone does that make me obese? That BMI is a load of bull as I am quiet active play rugby and my work requires walking over steep hills and mountains. If you dicide to lose the fat and gain muscle your not going to lose much weight muscle weighs twice as much as fat. If you cut down on carbs like bread pasta and crisps etc you will lose the weight

I'm not too set on this ideal weight thing. When I was 18 I used to cycle six miles per day to do a physical labouring job in forestry. I wanted to be really fit at one point so ate the ideal diet for my workload. I was about 11.5 stone. Now I eat all I feel like eating. I eat a lot of healthy stuff on top of the junk, so pretty much I just eat a lot! I'm not 13st and 5'6" which is considered to be at the bad end of the "amber" on the scale.

I went to the docs a while back because I was feeling a bit rough. He took my blood pressure, listened to my heart and asked if I went to the gym a lot or did a lot of sport? I laughed and said that I would only run if I was getting chased or being paid, but I do a fairly active job. Supposedly I have a very slow and strong heart rate and my blood pressure is perfect - so say a sign of a fit person?! Really, he obviously didn't notice the beer belly as I walked in then? :lol: