Gunfitting

southrop

A couple of mounts in the shop is enough for me. I can tell if it's OK or not. If I bought a gun blind (unlikely) and it turned out that I didn't like the fit, then OK, I'd have to get it adjusted, but the implication that every gun you buy needs professionl gunfitting is laughable to me. It's back to the whole dumb idea of gunfit for Summer then refit in Winter to cope with the extra layers of clothing. Load of cobblers. But if you listen to these pro gunfitters, they're trying to tell you that a millimetre or two makes all the difference. Apparently a centimetre or two of extra cold weather gear doesn't though. <_<

Each to his own. Personally, I've got better things to waste my money on :P

Chard

A couple of mounts may be enougth for you, but what about us newbies?

Would someone like yourself be able to help in basic fit?

Ref. Kelbrook.

I am sure they know what they are on about:

Michael Meggison

Michael has over 50 years of shooting and gun fitting experience, who became a qualified coach in 1972.

He has represented Great Britain in 2 Olympic games, 1980 & 1984.

Is the ONLY person to win the British Championships in all 3 Firearms events

(Pistol 76, Rifle 77 & Shotgun 91) this record can never be beaten as pistol shooting is now banned in UK.

Edited by nbunney10

Chard

Don't underestimate the power of El-Magnifico! :yp:

I've seen his legendary gun-fitting routine in person, a meer matter of days ago actually! No stone left unturned!

I've seen his legendary gun-fitting routine in person, a meer matter of days ago actually! No stone left unturned!

This is very true,

I even heard a rumour that he is in A class now

We sorted Anni out didn't we? :lol:

He's just got to put about 2 stone on and he'll be back to his old form :P

Chard

Depends if you trust your gun shop or not. When I started, I went to Bamfords in Lancashire.

Very professional outfit. I told him my requirements, he picked a suitable gun off the rack, made me mount it.

Bit of shuffling about and we were both satisfied with the fit and that was it.

I agree that if a particular gun has an unusually ferocious cast or something, or if the customer is not an "averagish" build, then there might be issues.

But for most of us and most guns, I think it's all overblown. You don't have to agree with me, I won't cry.

You can all spend your hard-earned on whatever you like :P

Any Forces chaps on here? Do they do gunfit in the Army? Genuine question :hmm:

Edited by Chard

I could be very wrong BUT....... I am convinced that I shoot better with a shorter stock !

When I had my PB SP i had an inch on the back after being told the stock was to short for me .

But i dont think that i shoot it as well as I did my old miroku which was apparently way to short for me !

Well my new pump is a short stock but it comes up real nice although to short for me ! But I will soon find out how I get on with it but I suspect I will shoot well with it !

So I would be tempted to lean in the direction of saying shoot what feels comfortable !

They don't need to...rifles have adjustable sights :good:

Both my target rifles have adjustable sights but they are still adjusted to suit me. The adjustable sight is nothing to do with the fit, it is where the bullet is going they are adjustable for.

are they adjusted for you or do you adjust them MC?

Personally i'm on the fence with this one, I can pick up a gun and know if I will or won't be able to shoot it. Whether it could be improved upon is another matter but like a few it definitely depends how many clothes are on as to how I shoot

I don't go and get professionally fitted for a pair of shoes :rolleyes:

If they're about right, I buy them.

I wouldn't actually know where to go to get my shoes professionally fitted.

The best I can do is ask Wayne or Tray-ceee in the shoe shop, and I know more about it than they do <_<

Yep but you were moaning about having big blisters the other month so Wayne or Tray-ceee know didly..... you need adjustable shoes :lol::P

It does depend on your build, I need a monte carlo stock & the only gun that has ever fitted me with a standard stock was a Miroku mk38 tarp gun. So knowing this I just buy one with an adjustable comb, job done.

Stetting them up with a pound coin on the action is all I do, cast and stock length remain unaltered.

Setting an adjustable up is dead easy, place a pound coin on the end of the barrel near the action place your cheek bone on the comb and you should just see the bead above the pound coin (shut one eye though).

If you have a mid bead then you should see a figure 8 with the two beads.

If your eye is way to the left or right and your looking diagonal then just move the cast.

:good:

are they adjusted for you or do you adjust them MC?

Personally i'm on the fence with this one, I can pick up a gun and know if I will or won't be able to shoot it. Whether it could be improved upon is another matter but like a few it definitely depends how many clothes are on as to how I shoot

Either or,

The fact that the stocks are adjustable means that you can tweak thingss around and try different configurations.

Remember shooting is like sex, if it hurts you are doing it wrong.

This is quite funny for a friday morning, both of the above posts bang on about gun fitting being unecessary and then go on to describe gun fitting. :lol: :lol:

As for having a gun that "Shoots to the point of aim" L M A O at that one. What use is a gun that doesn't? :lol: Why compromise on a gun that doesn't quite fit? You spend hundreds or thousands on a gun and then won't spend the extra hundred or so having it checked and adjusted if necessary?

I agree that most guns suit most people but there will always be exceptions. You might like a second hand gun that someone else has had altered and it doesn't fit you. It doesn't really matter because they can be altered to suit. I bought my F3 because I wanted one, the fitting was done afterwards. I just bought the one in the shop I liked the look of and felt better than the rest.

It seems that you have difficulty reading! The point made was that Professional gun fitting in my view is a waste of money. In other more simple words don't pay the earth for simple modifications when you can do much yourself.

You also misunderstand point of aim. Trap guns are set to shoot high to give automatic lead for rising clays, they shoot considerably higher than point of aim. Such guns would not suit most people for sporting clays.