nice muntjak deer

camokid

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you get much meat on a munty? I heard you only get about 3lbs.

It would depend on the size of the deer, but the problem there IMO the smaller ones taste the best.

I have only ever taken the sirloins and the two haunches, anything up front is normally ruined by the shot.

The sirloins very lightly fried are just about the best meat you will ever eat.

glad they are on the loose and breeding (he says, donning tin-hat and lowering head). :yp:

Only a few people will disagree with that, many years ago I was offered serious money to take a pair down to Devon, I didn't but I am sure they have been 'helped' along the way by others.

The only time they are a pain is when the get into people gardens or ruin drives on pheasant shoots by running in and out of cover crop stuffed with birds.

I think you get around 8lbs or so if you are careful with the butchery, but as mentioned above, they do vary of course, as does shot damage.

From memory the haunches are about 2lb each (thigh bone still in), the fillets (back straps) are almost 1lb each, and the rest is all the meat you can get off forelegs/shoulder/neck and I just cut it up for stews/pies.

i just weighed the haunches the doe's was 3lb dead on. a bit smaller than usual and the bucks haunch was 5lb (bone in) so thats 10lb just in back legs the loin must be a couple of pounds each and then what ever you pick of the neck ribs front legs so i would say 15-20lb of meat for the sake of a quid bullet

ps.. the missis and me just had a nice cut of loin for tea and as always delish :good::good:

• 5 months later...

i just weighed the haunches the doe's was 3lb dead on. a bit smaller than usual and the bucks haunch was 5lb (bone in) so thats 10lb just in back legs the loin must be a couple of pounds each and then what ever you pick of the neck ribs front legs so i would say 15-20lb of meat for the sake of a quid bullet

ps.. the missis and me just had a nice cut of loin for tea and as always delish :good::good:

have it done bud.he is a real good head you might not get a better 1.good shooting

• 1 month later...

You are better off getting the brain out before its boiled, other wise it goes all rubbery. Bit of stiff wire to scramble it up then I use a garden hose to wash it out. It still comes out under pressre though and has a tendency to fly everywhere and stick to everything.