Slow cooking gammon

throbbingfinger

Hi

The mrs has a bad case of flu. I have a bad case of a 50 hour week, three kids and a wife to sort out.

I've got a 2kg gammon joint and want to cook it in the slow cooker. What fluid do I cook it in and for how long?

I'm reasonable in the kitchen but not with a slow cooker.

Many thanks

TF

Edited by throbbingfinger

The best way is to put the gammon in a large pan and cover it with tap water,if you cant cover it turn it over half way through.Bring to the boil and keep it just on a steady boil(just above a simmer) for 20 mins per 500g with some sage, thyme, oregano, and 2 bayleafs, skim off any scum.

At the end of the boil allow to cool then remove the rind and score a criss cross pattern into the fat without cutting through to the meat.

Make a glaze from honey,1 teaspoon of mustard powder, and soft brown sugar, completely cover the fat and the meat faces with the glaze rubbing well into the criss crosses,then roast in a moderately hot oven (I have gas and use gas mark 8) for 20 mins to half an hour,so the glase is just taking on a burned appearance.

Remove from oven let rest for 10-15 mins then slice thinly and enjoy.

Mike...

Edited by Magus69

I looked it up on the web and it appears it's not a wind up. I'm going to have to try it!!

Magus, thanks for that. That would be my preferred method. I'll do that the next time. I've it about 15kg of ham joints in the freezer. It was on offer. So were the four leg of lamb.

The reason I wanted to slow cook it is I can chuck it in in the morning when I go to work and it'll be ready when I get back. Bit tight for time tomorrow night, ballet lessons from 5 till 7. (the kids no me, honest!)

I roast gammon in the oven, wrap it in tin foil and give it a couple of hours on a medium heat. Then take it out of the foil and smother it in Marmelade and put it back in the oven for the last half hour to an hour. The marmelade caramalises and adds a sweetness that compliments the saltiness of the gammon. Try it.

Cheers for your help.

I chucked in in the slow cooker with some roughly cut up veg and some water at 08:30. Got home at 16:00 and had to take it out as the Mrs had to go to hospital. Kids got farmed off to neighbours so they didn't eat it until the next day.

Tastes great though.

I have a load more in the freezer so will be trying out those other ways, I've got to try the coke one!

Completely agree on the Coke one! Will try with honey next time too, thx Luke :)

Basic coke one is as follows:

Peel an onion and cut it in half, stud the flat face with 6-8 cloves.

Put them in the bottom of the slow cooker, drop the gammon on top, just rinse it and remove the mesh, no need to pre soak.

Add enough Coke (Full fat normal Coke, DO NOT use diet coke) to cover about 3\4 of the gammon the turn the slow cooker to low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4.

Once done remove from the slow cooker and allow to stand for 5 mins and remove the fat which should fall off. Allow to cool for another 10-15 mins and you should be able to slice it easily.

Once the cooking liquor has cooled pass it through a sieve and then freeze to use as a great casserole or soup stock :)

Jon.