disposing of old carts

TX Sniper

I had a few old Wildfowling cartridges forgotten in the bottom of the cupboard and the saltwater had rusted them.

When I mentioned it in my local Gunshop, I was told to bring them in and they would dispose off them for me.

So I did. :thumbs:

I do know someone who threw a few similarly affected cartridges into the middle of a deep lake.

Guest Mr Pieman

Don't ****** about cutting up cartridges!!

Put them in a box and take them to your local police station. The FLO can sort them out then :P

PP

Hunter, I don't think putting live primers in the rubbish is a particularly safe method of disposal :thumbs:

You wrap them individually in lots of bubble wrap.

Put them into a large box and carry them carefully into your local Police Station.

Oh I nearly forgot...... put a big notice on top of the box saying

'Liable to explode at any time'

The results will be better than any of the videos folk keep putting on here.

You wrap them individually in lots of bubble wrap.

Put them into a large box and carry them carefully into your local Police Station.

Oh I nearly forgot...... put a big notice on top of the box saying

'Liable to explode at any time'

The results will be better than any of the videos folk keep putting on here.

mry716, you put in words, just what I had visualised. :thumbs: :P:D

I would suggest you telephone your Police Station first, just so they are prepared. :lol:

if they are only slightly rusted I'd just use them on clays, I have an old auto thats proofed for 3" magnum cartridges I just bung them through that. Just remember if you get a mis fire don't attempt to clear it for a minute or so and keep the gun pointing forwards and pointing safely.

we had some old cruddy Baikal cartridges that were about 30 years old used them on clays just for fun and it was ok except for the cloud of crud they sent up making it hard to see a hit :thumbs:

not to sure as to the legalities in the UK, but any cartridge i have ( as a collected pc ) i put the brass cup in WD40 for a week or so, the penetrant will soak into the primer and powder thus destroying its explosive properties, this tip was given to me by a collector here, and if your interested i put the first ten in the gun to proove it "click click" the same process will work on all primered bullets even R/F

again prooven by drowning in WD , the reason for cup only on shotshell PAPER hulls

this will not effect the apearence for your collection purposes .

thought you might like to know

Martin

if its illegal to cut them open, then why doesn't it say so on the packet.

and why do so many chooting coaches take the time to get their penknife into a cartridge to show the students the construction of a cartridge.

Are they breaking the law too?

I would be genuinely interested to see the piece of legislation on this, as it appears a little known,

cheers

Bindi :lol:

if its illegal to cut them open, then why doesn't it say so on the packet.

cheers

Bindi :lol:

It also doesn't warn you not to chew them, or throw them on a bonfire, but I wouldn't recommend it. :lol::D

bindi

I think it comes under the legislation that deals with the shooting of haggis !!!

But I may be wrong. :lol::lol:

Cranfield,

It doesn't warn you not to use them as a suppository either. :*) :*)