Lead free pellets

jonno

I agree that a head shot is more likely to stop the slug exiting-the last squirrel i shot had spent most of its life eating my Hazelnuts and every time i managed to grab the gun he did a dissapearing act (much to my sons amusement as he informed me once that whilst i was scanning the tree via the scope the squirrel was sitting on the fence next to me).When i finally managed to get a bead on him he was digging under the kids trampoline? and when i took aim i was shaking like a novice (leaning on a wall as well)-i snatched the shot while the bulk of him was in the crosshairs and thought that i,d missed as he ran off-however, sanity and temper were restored when he collapsed about 10 yards down the garden with a neat hole clean thru him.Revenge was sweet-like my flipping nuts i,ll bet.

I uaually shoot squirrels in what could be called a woodland ambush. I sit around 25 - 30 yds from where I expect them to be - a pheasant feeder, underneath a nut tree or in the branches of a nut tree at certain times, and wait until they arrive. I've lost count of the times when I've been straining my eyes at the target area and noticed the dog looking backwards or sideways and then noticed a squirrel or two somewhere else than the target area. We've had them upwind, downwind and at all sorts of crazy distances down to a few yards strolling past us. Shooting them at that distance isn't easy. All you get is a grey blob in the scope (don't give me that c**p about PX scopes 'cos you haven't time to adjust without scaring Cyril) and the allowance for the scope height over the POI is critical in such a small target area.

They are tough, wary little creatures. But in my opinion can be the most challenging shooting for air rifles. :good:

I've lost count of the times when I've been straining my eyes at the target area and noticed the dog looking backwards or sideways and then noticed a squirrel or two somewhere else than the target area. We've had them upwind, downwind and at all sorts of crazy distances down to a few yards strolling past us.

They are tough, wary little creatures. But in my opinion can be the most challenging shooting for air rifles. :good:

They do throw up some surprises don't they?

Similarly, I've a favourite squirrel ambushing point in a small copse of oaks, just 50 yards from a spinney. They have regular paths through the trees about 20 ft up with regular 'shootable points'.I'll be sat, back against an oak with a good safe field of fire including regular spots where they pause. From my ambush point, I've had them run along the ground straight towards me, and in august last year I had one come down the tree I was leant against, chattering at me to see me off.

Weirdly, I turned from my sitting point against the tree and laid down on the ground, took aim almost directly upwards, fired and took the cranium pretty much off. Claret everywhere and the grey dervish hit the deck next to me, 2 ft from my face! and minus brain.

These are days you remember! :yes:

Similarly, I've a favourite squirrel ambushing point in a small copse of oaks, just 50 yards from a spinney. They have regular paths through the trees about 20 ft up with regular 'shootable points'.I'll be sat, back against an oak with a good safe field of fire including regular spots where they pause. From my ambush point, I've had them run along the ground straight towards me, and in august last year I had one come down the tree I was leant against, chattering at me to see me off.

Weirdly, I turned from my sitting point against the tree and laid down on the ground, took aim almost directly upwards, fired and took the cranium pretty much off. Claret everywhere and the grey dervish hit the deck next to me, 2 ft from my face! and minus brain.

:lol::lol:

lol good shooting place then :lol:

lol good shooting place then :lol:

When they come at you like that, it's one of the best! :beer:

I also shot the squirrel with the biggest set of g'nads on it you've ever seen!It was more like a huge set of balls with a squirrel attached. As it fell out of the oak, gravity pulled it to earth te5t1cles first.

After the shot, he kind of pitched forwards, like the man-at-the-upstairs-window with a shotgun who gets taken out in the spaghetti western films. Feeling old now (CLint is in his 80's).

Great days.

:thumbs:

When they come at you like that, it's one of the best! :beer:

I also shot the squirrel with the biggest set of g'nads on it you've ever seen!It was more like a huge set of balls with a squirrel attached. As it fell out of the oak, gravity pulled it to earth te5t1cles first.

After the shot, he kind of pitched forwards, like the man-at-the-upstairs-window with a shotgun who gets taken out in the spaghetti western films. Feeling old now (CLint is in his 80's).

Great days.

:thumbs:

:lol::lol:

no it's the Dynamic he's talking about i think

Dynamics are made of Tin , And softer than Lead

Re wear of Barrel anyone like to try a Claim - as Well Tested and proved they do not damage Barrels

Tin Pellets

Was well Tested by Metal Trade Test Firms - As part of a Government Grant years Ago

Tin has got to expensive - Reason Pax is currently using worked Zinc - Which is softer than Tin

BOB/R

• 4 weeks later...