Dog food

Boromir

I feed Jake Wainwrights,lamb and rice is on the menu at the moment,it has a high protein and fat content,so when he is not working so much i reduce his food from one large scoop to a normal scoop,he has an egg most mornings as well for his breakfast,he does very well on Wainwrights,and likes all the range so its easy to change to another flavour.

jakea.jpg

I've been feeding my four with Arden Grange for a couple of years, and they look fantastic. Even my older lab who has always had issues keeping weight on gets on really well with it.

If you contact them via their website, as a working dog handler or breeder you are able to order their VAT free breeder bags - I feed mine chicken and rice dry complete which costs around £27 per 15kg under the breeder bag system.

Alternatively, Berriewood Wholesale sell the breeder bags directly without having to register as a breeder with AG.

ATB

Have a look at CSJ there web address is www.csjk9.com i used to use Iams then moved after reading a thread on here i feed a Rotty and a Spriger for £22 every 8 weeks and they are both in tip top condition coats are excelllent and there **** is hard.

I used Oscar Pet foods for 8 years and it was also very good and i would say CSJ is better and more value for money.

which CSJ do you use mate , i,m thinking of going back to it after having a break and using JWB for a month which i,m sure made my springers slightly hyper

Spoke to skinners a couple of days

Very helpful over the phone decided on a few foods that i should try and they very kindly sent me out a few trial samples fact sheets and stockist list

my dog seems to love it and found out a local farm no more than 1 mile away stocks it so will be feeding this in the future

Hi mate

I feed my dogs on Skinners Field & Trail Working 23 and have absolutely no complaints, the dogs love it and look healthy for being on it. It retails at £16.99 for 15kg (VAT free), I buy mine direct from Andy Cullen of Laochin Gundogs (just outside Dunblane) www.laochingundogs.com.

Hope this helps

Skinners for my lot too. We were using Skinners Field & Trial 23 but recently tried them on Skinners Duck & Rice to try to reduce the amount of wheat they were getting & they've done really well on it. It is a little more expensive but they don't seem to need as much of it so I think the cost will work out to be much the same.

Ours also get a small amount of tripe and or pheasant stock, which they love.

The springer can be a bit fussy about what she likes to eat but she's always been happy on Skinners products - the GSP is the same. The lab, like all labs, would eat an anvil if you covered it in gravy.

Cheers

TT

Started my Lab on Chudleys puppy food. It was excellent and he always had a shiny coat and was full of beans. I then went onto the Chudlys adult and within a week his coat was dull as ditchwater :no: . Then went onto James Wellbeloved and his coat came back all shiny, but then I said to myself, why am I paying £45 for a bag of food that is anti glutin, alegens and all the rest of it when my lab does not have any alergies etc. :/ Changed him onto BETA which seems to suit him well saving about £15 a bag (£28 ish) :good:

my labs on either chudleys or alpha gold when i can get it.i'm just trying her on skinners duck and rice now, i have to swap her food round as she gets bored.my cocker is on oscar junior as he just can't put weight on and seems to love it.the new cocker will be getting the same as the lab but tight portions because she's fat as fooooook :lol:

Beta all the way.

Feed it to both of ours- 15 week old lab (on puppy mix) and 7 year old kelpie (on pet maintenance, he loves it and he's a fussy

eater). My parents put their lurcher onto Beta pet maintenance (was on Bakers), you should have seen the difference in her energy

levels.

I feed my young lab chudleys junior, reasonable price and she loves it - I can't see the appeal of feeding food that is double if not triple the price. She started off on skinners puppy which was good but she lost interest in it, luckily only a week before I was planning to switch here to junior anyway!

Tripe, minced chicken, beef, sardines, bones, rabbits and venison bones.

Broccoli and some leftovers.

Without wanting to stick my oar in mate - broccoli is toxic to dogs...

The toxic ingredient in broccoli is isothiocyanate and it is reported to be a pretty potent gastrointestinal irritant.

Ps. Another vote for skinners field and trial for me

I live a couple of doors away from a springer man (and we are talking top class champion breeder/trainer) who feeds his dogs on cheap Lidl tripe dog food when not working and then switches as the season starts.His theory is that theres no need to put rocket fuel in something thats not flying.

Skinners for my lot too. We were using Skinners Field & Trial 23 but recently tried them on Skinners Duck & Rice to try to reduce the amount of wheat they were getting & they've done really well on it. It is a little more expensive but they don't seem to need as much of it so I think the cost will work out to be much the same.

Ours also get a small amount of tripe and or pheasant stock, which they love.

The springer can be a bit fussy about what she likes to eat but she's always been happy on Skinners products - the GSP is the same. The lab, like all labs, would eat an anvil if you covered it in gravy.

Cheers

TT

I put mine on Skinners Duck & Rice about a year ago for the same reason and find it fantastic.

Have a look at this site................http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

I live a couple of doors away from a springer man (and we are talking top class champion breeder/trainer) who feeds his dogs on cheap Lidl tripe dog food when not working and then switches as the season starts.His theory is that theres no need to put rocket fuel in something thats not flying.

Hi mate,

while your neighbour is probably more of an 'expert' than me, his feeding plan is a bit hit and miss.

Of course dogs need more nutritious food during the working season, but it should be just that, more quantity of the most nutritious feed available. In the closed season the dog should still be fed the best available, but in smaller quantities. We owe it to our workers to feed the best available, cost shouldn't really be an issue.

Yours in sport Pernod.

After trying to do the best for my portly speyed ex hunt Beagle by way of scientific diets and lots of exercise I realised that no matter what I fed her she would allways be slave to the bins and any **** she encountered. She could quite easily exist without any intervention from me as well. Got to go, she's back from town with the kebabs.

• 2 months later...

My 8 month old lab is on her second bag of "real nature" dog food. It's sold by Maxizoo here in Ireland, but I presume Maxizoo is in th UK too?

My bitch absolutely loves the stuff and her coat is in great nick. The only downside is the price - €72 FOR 15KGs.

The ingredients are below:

Ingredients: dried Black Angus meat (min 20%), brown rice, dried Barbary Duck meat (min 9%), whole grain maize, dried Menhaden Herring (min 5.5%), millet, amaranth, fresh green herbs, blended algae, wild salmon oil, blended vegetable oil (cold-pressed), blackstrap molasses, dry peat, Yucca schidigera extract, fennel seeds, bilberries, egg yolk, blossom honey (cold extracted), silica, mussel concentrate, calf bone protein, green mineral earth (Terra Natura), trace elements, vitamins.

Average analysis: crude protein 28.55%, crude fat 10.90%, crude ash 7.39%, crude fibre 2.77%, moisture 11%, calcium 1.19%, phosphorus 0.98%, sodium 0.36%, magnesium 0.11%.

A brief analysis from an American site:

Moisture 71.37%

Crude Fat 11.70%

Protein 15.82%

Ash 1.23%

Phosphorous 0.14%

Calcium 0.12%

Calories 756.35 cal/lb.

No vitamin A or C.

Fine in terms of protein, energy and calcium phosporus but very little else.

So almost three quarters of what you're paying for is water.

My pack gets through 15kg of complete dried food a week, so price is a factor.