landrover enthusiasts

gonk69

sorry guys been beating today, well me problem is.started me disco 2.5tdi first time as usual but the oil light stayed on, oil level is fine, well drove to work as normall, when about three mile in to my journey she stalled, pulled over bonet up she looked hotlifted the oil cap and me oil was smoking heavily.now she will still start but im scared to drive her, the oil is very black in coulor but no residue so dont think its me head gasget, any ideas? cheers matt

i know a little about them,i run a disco too,it could be one of a few things...low oil level,worn engine bearings and/or

oil pump,oil pressure release valve knackered,oil pick up strainer clogged,according to manual,these are where to look first mate...

DAZ

Is it a 2.5 td5 or. 200/300 tdi (in other words what age?) some td5's had magnet debris sensors that switch the oil warning light on when metal particles cover the magnet, it may be you have one of these sensors. Just to be sure can you describe the light you have on?

Regards

Gixer

the oil pump is rotor driven from the front of the crankshaft,the rotors are in the t belt housing,make sure the rotors go back in

the way they come out,the relief valve plug has a notch in the top for a flat blade screw driver,take the spring out and plunger and check for wear,put back in same way as it came out too mate...

DAZ

get into the t belt housing and work at the back of it,remove pump cover plate,youll see the rotas,theyre in the middle

one inside other,mark the outer one so its fitted the same way round when you replace it,take the two rotas out(one sits in the other)

if they look scored or youre doubtful of their condition,renew both.unscrew pressure relief valve plug with flat head screwdiver,lift the

spring and plunger out,check for wear,scoring etc,if doubtful,renew.put plunger and spring back in,note which way plunger came out and replace it same way,use locking compound on threads of plug then refit,make sure rotas are clean,smear with clean engine oil and put back in their housing,same way as they came out,clean mating faces of pump and t belt housing then refit cover plate and tighten screws,sounds straight forward mate,well it is i suppose,

DAZ