Scope rings

henry d

never had to use loctite...... however sako have started (i am told) to loctite on their action screws.

how do i know this... i have a gun smith friend (works for chris potters) and he all of a sudden started mashing screw heads and was finding they were done up too tight.... after finally getting one off he discovered loctite was to blame. so now to get recently made sako 75 apart he has to heat up the screw with a soldering iron, then remove it. makes his life hell.

you would never know this work had happened when you see the rifle, his work is top notch.

i personally would never loctite anything on a gun to do with the action or scope mounting. (dosent mean its wrong)

... i have a gun smith friend (works for chris potters) and he all of a sudden started mashing screw heads and was finding they were done up too tight.... after finally getting one off he discovered loctite was to blame.

Exactley

One reason NOT to use Locktite..............If your after Confidence in the fact that nothing can come loose then use a Spring Washer :thumbs:

All a bit extreme I think though .

Ive :P

Thread lock is not extream and is available in all strengths from stud lock to a light friction lock. I see it as esential in all modern competent engineers tool boxs.

Too true!

If you use the propper thread lock there shouldn't be any problem getting the screw back out, it just won't vibrate loose itself.

Mark.

I use screw safety (that is the name over here for the glue you put on the screw) for all guns with scopes. Its a must in my opinion!

The bigger caliber (9,3x62 and 8x68 S Magnum) are additionally glued on the system not only the screw. But for smaller caliber you dont need that.

Hubertus

If you buy decent rings/mounts (you shouldn't be using anything on that tool) you don't need it.

EDIT you have Optilocks, they don't come any better than that.

Incidently, I do use tape round the inside of the ring to stop them marking the scope these days though....

The 6.5 is renowned for it's 'smooth' recoil so think yourself lucky you didn't get a lighweight 308 or 25-06 :lol:

Edited by stuartp

Nick, Buy your mate a turnscrew for christmas, you would have thought he may have realised without breaking more than one screw.

If you had changed a wheel several hundreds times and encountered everything from finger tight nuts too very tight ones, would you immediatly jump to the conclusion that there was Loctite on it.

He only mashed a few screws before discovering the problem, and as i said his work is top notch. If you have a gun that has been screw cut or shortened at Chris Potters you probably had it done by him.

considering the number of Sako 75's he has screw cut over the years, i am supprised he worked out the problem as quickly as he did.

• 2 weeks later...

Use a locking compound on the bases but not on the rings BUT use cycle inner tube patch rubber glue on the inside of the rings before seating your scope. Do not try to remove the excess that ouses out until the next day when it will rub off easily with your finger. It is the best anti-movement substace known to man for fixing scopes.

AND cheap !