Info on these scopes please

Big Dog

Hi guys. I am still researching the scope I will put on my .222 when the FAC come through.

Can anyone tell me anything about these scopes?

http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/othercategor...2c1147bdf715597

Theres a 4x16x56 IR parallax for £421.27 :thumbs: seem to good to be true??

Is it me or is there no name visual on these?? :P

Big Dog, have you thought about the Schmidt & Bender range of scopes?

They are fantastic, if money is the problem and the german ones too expensive, then you can get the Hungarian versions, which are exactly the same, in the links below for a great price:

http://www.totalfield.com/riflescopes/schm...iflescope_3.htm

http://www.ritchies.co.uk/acatalog/index.h...tml&CatalogBody

I would recomend the 8 x 56 version. :thumbs: :P

These scopes are the best in my opinon. :D

Hope that helps mate. :lol:

Frank, do you know why there is such a difference in price between the Ger and Hur S&B???

I think its because S & B make the hungarian ones in Hungary to save money, but from what i hear, they are just as good.

Im getting one for my 6.5 in a years time thats for sure. :lol:

If you want to get one thats made in germany, then go for it, the only difference being the german ones have more veriety of magnifications and reticules then the hungarian and cost twice as much.

Edited by Frank

Frank, do you know why there is such a difference in price between the Ger and Hur S&B???

Labour costs BD, nothing else.

Don't beleive any of the **** e you hear on the web or down the pub about quality, they are exactly the same.

I know of, and have used about 7 or 8 schmidts and only one is german, you would not be able to tell which is which if you saw them (apart from the lettering obviously :*) )

I don't think it is necessarily BD...

For the same money the fixed would naturally be better quality.

There are a lot of cheap/nasty variable scopes out there.

If you are buying in the US, you may find variables are actually cheaper, as they almost all use them, fixed are regarded as rimfire or pistol scopes by some manufacturers.

I used to own a scope that looked just like that and it was made by Hakko. I have a bell ringing that he was rebranding these and selling them on as SGC. Is it someone like 'Fat Les' who owns SGC?

Hakko scopes are made in Japan and were making it big time in USA but fouled up on an export license and got fined thousands.

The one that I had was a 10 x 42 and was brilliant. Totally clear and bright with a mil-dot reticule with a dot in the middle too. Side wheel parallax which I was non too keen on. sold the rifle and the scope went with it which was the right thing to do at the time.

As an alternative, have a look at Leupold. I am getting a Mk1 4-12x40 for my .17hmr and I reckon that will be the nuts.

RTD

As an alternative, have a look at Leupold. I am getting a Mk1 4-12x40 for my .17hmr and I reckon that will be the nuts.

RTD

ur a keen man coz IMHO leupold vx1 + vx11 are utter mutter

my rimmy scope a bushnell trophy 3-9x40 eats them for breaky :lol:;)

and you can get them on ebay .com for a 1/3 of the price of a leupold

for a luppy it would have to be a vx111 at least b4 i would even look at one. the only good thing is that wid a luppy u get a life time warranty ??? buts thats what ur paying for ;):lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...

But...

I like Leupold and like to buy my scopes from a good source. Plenty of cr*p out there. As for the VX1, it's without parallax adjustment so for me, it's better.

Strange why people don't want to spend money on scopes. Get into fullbore and people spend a lot of money on a scope. You tend to get clearer optics, better build quality - that kind of thing.

However, I do agree that you can get good kit cheap sometimes and I would never turn my nose up to a bargain!

RTD

Does anyone know of the new regulation for bringing a scope out of the States in your check on bag?? :o

Some tell me its OK just rap it up and check it on the plane and other tell me since 9-11 the U.S. have tightened up and there is a lot of paper work to complete. If caught without this - one of those prisions :o

Anyone able to cast some light on this?;)?:)?:o?:D???

I am going to the States at Easter and was thinking of getting a Leupold VX111 4.5x14.50 (30mm) Varmint rec.

The best price I see so far is $769.95 (£444.80) In the "What Gun" mag I saw one for £520 I think it is a 30mm tube.

If anyone know of a supplier that can beat £520 in the UK or £444.80 in the U.S. let me know. I recon if I have to pay tax and all that **** I will just buy local or in UK Mainland.

BD,

I brought a Mark4 LRT back, I put it my luggage, not on my carry on bag.

If the saving is marginal, I wouldn't bother, if you do hit for tax it will wipe out the deal.

I got it for a mate and the saving was much bigger than that - more like £200, but they had just been relaesed, I think the difference is much smaller now.

I've just posted comments on another post about this.

Declare it all as second hand and have receipts to show. If there is paperwork that comes with it that you want to keep - idiots's guide etc - then post it seperatly.

Biggest thing is allowing the technology out of the country - and they get a bit arsey about it. Hakko scopes fell fowl about that.

RTD

Brought a couple back from the USA for a friend in cargo luggage over the past 3 years.

If you have a US address that you can get it delivered to then contact:-

R&R Arms - best deal on Loopy last year.

Cabellas

Midway - but ring the order through as you cannot on-line order with a UK 'invoice' address.

Yes, you should declare but I have always worked on the principle that if I get pulled I then 'remember' about the scope :thumbs: Also I carry a lot of technical instruments to/from the US so, it's another bit of kit (if you lose the paperwork)?

Also note that Leupold Europe can be a bit sticky with the warranty (if you need it) if purchased in the US.

marlin.45

Thanks mate some keen prices there, the best I have seen yet. £338.22 for what I am looking for is great.

My next problem is that we can't go now. The prices of air fares have gone from £1200 to £2400 in one week :thumbs: :thumbs:

But at those prices I am still keen to work out something with my U.S. family.

Thanks