Are they really getting that MPG?

masterzone2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when my xtype went in after some muppet scraped the side I was given a 1.2 corsa it had approx 1000 miles on the clock and averaged approx 25 mile per gallon but there again it was the worst car I have ever driven and yes I have got a heavey right foot which proberly explains the poor fuel consumption.

so tell your dad to sell it and buy some thing with a bigger engine that wont need thrashing to make it go :good:

Well my landrover disco 2.7 has an 80ltr fuel tank (17.62gallon) I get on average 430 miles to a tank so that's about 24.4mpg which I think isn't too bad, my bm 3.0 litre diesel has a 60 ltr fuel tank and does 500 mile to a tank which is around 38 mpg which is astounding as it's one of the most driveabke power spreads around (500nm and 230ishbhp!!!) and it'll do alot better up into the 45mpg mark on a long run! And it'll still do a 0-100 time that will give most hot hatches a seeing to!

Regards,

Gixer

Small engine = big fuel bill. I try my hardest to drive calmly but slowly slowly pottering around driving a 1.2 like a 2.0 (same foot pressure and changing habbits etc is awful. It doesn't take long for the lead foot/leg to come out and the MPG drops down to 36 at best around town. On the motorway being a homo I can get 48ish.

After driving a car with a normal amount of power jumping back in my go-kart makes me want to cry, but not as much as when I come to fill it up.

I recently bought a 1.3 Toyota Yaris, before that I had a 1.4 Corolla, I could get an average of 42mpg with the Corolla.

When doing the shopping my Missus filled up with Morrisons unleaded, average mpg was 37, which I though wasn't that good, the car was filled up for a month with supermarket fuel. I was coming back from Carlisle just before Xmas and the tank was 1/4 full so I filled up at a BP garage, after about 10 miles mpg was up to 44.

I have not filled up at Morrisons since and my average mpg is now 44 up to 50mpg on a run.

Is it worth buying supermarket fuel?

We have an auto one of these for a little run around.... I get about 47 on a run or 42 about town. I did a run with loads of luggage and 2 bikes on the rear end...... on a long run driven carefully it did 32!!!!!

I get 44 out of my 2litre Turbo diesel vauxhall all day long regardless of being stuffed to the roof with luggage and people.

I've kept a check on the fuel consumption of all my cars based upon brimming the fuel tank running it then re-brimming it. I've also checked the odometer against the marker posts on the motorway just to see whether they're accurate. Since the advent of electronic rather than mechanical speedo/odometers the accuracy is a lot better.

We've got a 2006 Volvo XC70 D5 185bhp and 6 speed autobox, had it from new and it's done 110k miles, the average fuel consumption over that time has been 32.15mpg. The onboard computer has always given a more optimistic average consumption by about 10% though :o Manufacturers figures are urban 25.2; extra urban 40.9; combined 33.2mpg.

My best fuel consumption figures have always been abroad when I've driven on the motorways at a set speed usually around 70mph, as I'm in no rush, and for long distances and I've returned 36 to 38mpg for the round trips.

I've also got a Disco TD5 Auto that I've done 4k in since the end of October and that has averaged 25.6mpg. Nowadays I can't brim that from empty at Asda or Morrisons as the fuel pump cuts off at £99 :oops: The fuel consumption has got marginally worse since fitting the Grabber AT2 tyres - 1mpg or so.

I've run both vehicles on supermarket and branded fuel and there's no discernable difference in economy between the two. They're regularly serviced and tyre pressures checked frequently.

Well my landrover disco 2.7 has an 80ltr fuel tank (17.62gallon) I get on average 430 miles to a tank so that's about 24.4mpg which I think isn't too bad, my bm 3.0 litre diesel has a 60 ltr fuel tank and does 500 mile to a tank which is around 38 mpg which is astounding as it's one of the most driveabke power spreads around (500nm and 230ishbhp!!!) and it'll do alot better up into the 45mpg mark on a long run! And it'll still do a 0-100 time that will give most hot hatches a seeing to!

Regards,

Gixer

Hi Gents,

Something to consider is how you are making your conversions. I see here that Gixer is using 4.5 L per gallon. That is imperial gallons and what I'd assume you would all call the 'correct' conversion. There is also US gallons which are 3.78 L per gallon. All of the converters online that don't specify US or imperial will convert in US gallons. When I do my own MPG calculations for my car, I use that figure. I know our BMW also uses US gallons for the display (though I always calculate based on actual fuel and actual miles).

In this case, a change in the calculation from US to imperial would mean the Corsa at 25 MPG (US) would be getting 30 MPG with an imperial conversion. Still not what is claimed, but it explains part of the discrepancy.

From my own experience, any car with an engine smaller than about 1.6 or 1.8 that is being run hard on the motorway is going to be struggling. We had a Kia hire car with a 1.2 or so in it. Running in 5th gear at 85 mph was nearly redlining and the gas gauge just plummeted. I expect we got 25 mpg, if that. Heavy acceleration kills MPG as we all know, so does redlining.

Thanks

Rick

Swapped my old Golf Gti 1.8T petrol for the new VW Polo 1.2tdi.

The Golf, if one was careful, could return 40mpg on the commute, but that was serious hypermiling with a very light foot.

The Polo is only 4 weeks old and has a claimed combined figure of 72mpg. At the moment over the 800 miles I've averaged 50mpg. It's a new engine so should loosen up, I'm hoping for 60mpg.

Miss my old GTi and the quality of the South African built Polo is not satisfactory. It's been in the garage four times so far.....

If you're going on what the manufacturer states the mpg should be - you need to remember they are taking into account things like correct tyre pressure and driving the car like a granddad on a Sunday afternoon (incominggggggggg :P).

I know I drive my vehicles a little hard and Scaffy always gets better mpg than I do (Sunday driver again :P). However, I've begun to realise just how much money I'm wasting driving so hard. Since the fuel has gone up again, and knowing it's just going to continue to rise, I've made a conscious effort to keep away from the red line. Now fuel is almost as expensive as vodka, I'm saving myself a fortune (and I'm sure the vehicles are thanking me for it too).

Swapped my old Golf Gti 1.8T petrol for the new VW Polo 1.2tdi.

The Golf, if one was careful, could return 40mpg on the commute, but that was serious hypermiling with a very light foot.

The Polo is only 4 weeks old and has a claimed combined figure of 72mpg. At the moment over the 800 miles I've averaged 50mpg. It's a new engine so should loosen up, I'm hoping for 60mpg.

Miss my old GTi and the quality of the South African built Polo is not satisfactory. It's been in the garage four times so far.....

Those blue motions should be good on their word. Perhaps your still driving it like a petrol? use the torque not revs. 50mpg is pretty disappointing otherwise. Although its not a particularly powerful engine and i expect its geared to be superb at 65/70 and if you drive at real motorway speeds (80) it will suffer hugely. Would still sooner have a Bluemotion than a Prius anyday, the VW is much better on fuel too.

My word I've started something

The Corsa in question is the 1.2 twin port manual petrol

the Merc is a 3.0 automatic petrol

And the Hilux is a 2.4 diesel manual (running as an experiment ATM the gear box is set to 4WD with the hubs left unlocked

This is an experiment for possible future project)

I asked as I am in a club for modified, classic and and other type of car

Like in the shooting world we are fighting against ********* who wanna **** it up for us

and also they are trying to force us in to PC **** cars.

Hence the MPG question we use stuff like this to show our antis up and make them look stupid

Along with other things we do while the antis just moan about "their" cause.

I Borrowed a mates 5.7I trans-am and returned 35MPG in town

so take that and put it against the so called MPG of the Prius

which really looks better.

I was just wondering if people aren't getting the MPG the car makers claim

some are some are not so this may not be something we can use in our battle.

Those blue motions should be good on their word. Perhaps your still driving it like a petrol? use the torque not revs. 50mpg is pretty disappointing otherwise. Although its not a particularly powerful engine and i expect its geared to be superb at 65/70 and if you drive at real motorway speeds (80) it will suffer hugely. Would still sooner have a Bluemotion than a Prius anyday, the VW is much better on fuel too.

It's not the Bluemotion, same engine but no regenerative breaking or stop/start system. Interestingly if I go to work doing 55mpg I get about 53mpg. If I up it to 70mph all the way I get about 50mpg, so as you say it's geared for 65/70.

How do I use the torque and not the revs? A friend who has the Ibiza ecomotive said drive it around 1800rpm for best economy?

It's not the Bluemotion, same engine but no regenerative breaking or stop/start system. Interestingly if I go to work doing 55mpg I get about 53mpg. If I up it to 70mph all the way I get about 50mpg, so as you say it's geared for 65/70.

How do I use the torque and not the revs? A friend who has the Ibiza ecomotive said drive it around 1800rpm for best economy?

You just change gear very early, keeping it below about 2.5k. You wont go anywhere that fast, but it will save you mpg. You will probably be able to get to 40mph without even using the throttle just the clutch and torque. Not that you would want to do this, you would just cause accidents lol.

On top of this use all the normal fuel saving tips, try not to brake, so dont follow people closely, try and read the road so if you think you will need to slow you can just come off the throttle without braking.

remember folks those figures quoted are the results of tests on rolling roads so the surface is perfectly even,. While fans are provided to create wind resistance the manufacturer is able to remove certain things from the test car which would affect aerodynamics eg windscreen wipers and aerials. In short if you can get anywhere close to the quoted figure you are doing well

remember folks those figures quoted are the results of tests on rolling roads so the surface is perfectly even,. While fans are provided to create wind resistance the manufacturer is able to remove certain things from the test car which would affect aerodynamics eg windscreen wipers and aerials. In short if you can get anywhere close to the quoted figure you are doing well

Aerodynamics wont effect a stationary cars economy. On a rolling road cars are tied to the floor, they just sit on two rollers which measure torque/speed and can provide resistance (much in the same way that MOT testers test braking efficiency) or work out transmission loss by running down. Usually fans are used to provide an airflow over the car to provide cooling.

You just change gear very early, keeping it below about 2.5k. You wont go anywhere that fast, but it will save you mpg. You will probably be able to get to 40mph without even using the throttle just the clutch and torque. Not that you would want to do this, you would just cause accidents lol.

On top of this use all the normal fuel saving tips, try not to brake, so dont follow people closely, try and read the road so if you think you will need to slow you can just come off the throttle without braking.

Thanks for the tips. Will try some of these tips. I let it coast down hill in gear and get 200mpg, I believe it cuts fuel to the engine when you do this. Average MPG on short runs goes very high. Just a shame when you have to go back up the hill :lol: