• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I shot one today in the garden.

Has anyone else?

not yet was there any need for that though? :hmm::lol::no:

I was wondering if anyone would pick that up...possibly a bit tricky to justify that under the terms of the GL.

........and whilst we are on the subject, just where was it when you shot it, and what did you shoot it with, as I have never seen one of these anywhere near the ground, they tend to land High in trees! :good:

Never a simple thread is there! :hmm::lol:

Yes - they are an invasive foreign species that have been proven to be detrimental to native species, hence why they are on the GL

i know they're on the GL im not disputing that what i mean is whats the point of shooting it in your garden just for the sake of it? was it really causing that much harm-im totaly for controling them in the right situations-why wouldnt i be, all im saying is i dont think its right shooting a single one for a trophy in your back garden when it wasnt causing know harm.

I don't get your point - they are a species we need to remove from our habitat as they are causing increasingly more problems.

Agreed. :good:

But the GL gives permission to remove various species for various reasons, you cannot simply remove a Parakeet from your back garden because it MAY cause damage elseware to other species, on that basis anything on the GL would be shot anywhere at any time! :good:

Edited by Dekers

Just to add to the discussion, Parakeets are in Group B of WML - GL06, which means that you do not have to prove that non-lethal methods would be effective.

o) Condition 3 of this licence – which requires users to satisfy themselves that other appropriate legal methods of resolving the problem are either ineffective or impracticable - only applies to bird species that Natural England considers to be native to Great Britain (these are listed at paragraph 2(i)(a)); it does not apply to non-native species (listed at paragraphs 2(i)( B )). People may use non-lethal methods, such as scaring and proofing, for non-natives and are encouraged to do so where this is the best solution to a problem, but these methods do not need to be shown to be ineffective or impracticable before this licence can be relied upon.
Edited by HW682

Dekers- are you a pest controller from memory? If so how many foxes, rats, squirells etc have you removed from back gardens, industrial estates etc.

If I'm honest I don't know, I have the records but..... whatever, a fair few!

But none of these are on any General License in England!

Rats must legally be controlled under the 1949 Pest Act.

Rabbit under the 1954 Act (there has been talk of the repeal of this Act, but seeing as there are more rabbits about now than when Mixxy was introduced a control system will still need to be in place)

Defra/Forestry Commission has had a hit list out on the Grey Squirrel since Jan 2006. But it was lawful quarry before that anyway!

The fox can be removed on anyones whim! The simple fact is that it is normally removed for H&S reasons when it comes to back gardens!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Is there any difference if i shot a mink for example in my garden or do i wait until im a mile down the road by my flight pond ?

If it is safe, a sensible shot and legal pest species then i don't spare them.

Mink is NOT on the GL, therefore you are not bound by its conditions. Mink are a non indigineous pest species that should not be in this country, destroy as many of them as you can wherever you can! (Not looked up mink for ages, I have little to do with them, but amongst various other Acts I think the Wildlife and Countryside Act covers them, someone will put me straight!)

Everyone will give you a pat on the back except the idiot animal welfare rights groups who released the things in the first place!

:good:

There are lots of apparent contradictions in English law.

In simple terms, any non indigenous species is fair game...but the Parakeet is now on the GL, so you must abide by what is says, the CWD is also now afforded the protection of the 2007 Deer Act Amendment where it has been given a season :hmm: and so it goes on. It can also be argued that the ROE is a non native, allegedly we hunted them to extinction for food many centuries ago (where do they get this information) and all the Roe we have in this country now are foreign imports who have established themselves again! I'm sure lots of people can come up with various other examples.

This country loves to make things complicated, and where someone can find a law justifying something, the odds are if you look hard enough you will find something to contradict it.

Thats why we have courts, to make decisions on the daft laws we have in some areas!

ATB!

Just to add to the discussion, Parakeets are in Group B of WML - GL06, which means that you do not have to prove that non-lethal methods would be effective.

Another thought provoking thread, showing peoples ideas of what they think the shooting of a non-native species involves. As HW682 has pointed out in his post, it's all there in the GL, plain and simple. In my eyes, the two kinds of parakeets on the GL are the winged version of the grey squirrel, basically you can shoot them anywhere if it's safe and practicable to do so.

Also, if you see what damage they can do, no-one would hesitate do what the OP has done. I've seen them destroy woodpeckers nests, complete with chicks, mob songbirds getting too close to their "new home", and strip buds off trees and shrubs in landscaped gardens. So I for one am ok with "safe garden shooting"! But just to add, my garden is not safe for any type of shooting, plinking included, so they'll be safe IMBY :angry:

Good old Dekers, since he joined this forum his waffling have entertained me immensely. He would argue black was white if he felt so inclined but on this occasion to cover up his misunderstanding of the GL and he a professional pest controller to boot he is trying to muddy the water by bringing such things as the Deer Act and Roe being non native.

Come on chaps, read and understand the law then go forth and shoot the little *******, it's perfectly legal and Dekers needs a few more for his parrot pie.