Green Parakeet

amateur

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I have to own up and clearly state that I shoot and kill animals and birds because I enjoy it, period.

I don't do it because of some inner civic duty or to save a few grains of corn to help feed the starving of Africa. I shoot because I enjoy it and it's a fantastic sport.

Same goes for hunting, I love the thrill of the chase and watching a pack of hounds work and to be there at the kill be it stag, fox or hare is a bonus to a wonderful days sport.

Politically correct I'm not.

Hats off to you for an explanation, but in all reality you didn't need to ;)

As for causing a debate, yes,,,, and that's another good thing ;)

But,,,,, you've just fallen into the trap, highlighted in red above :blink: care to explain that one :/:hmm:

Wood-pigeons on the vegetable patch - so crop protection I think - and no, the sparkly dangly things don't deter them!

they were most probably feral pigeons, and causing a health and safety problem, so ok to shoot them, as all other means of deterring them had failed :good:

Yup, that's what amateur meant, I'm sure, so all's ok :good:

Edited by JKD

Had the same problem myself- the choice was

1.Nail a few Woodies and put the rest off

2.Have no crops despite an awful lot of hard work.

The available deterrents only worked for a short while - obviously couldn;t use a gas gun or similar - neighbours :blink:

In the end I only shot 3, nice and clean with headshots from my hw100s.

After that they got the message.

The Woodie breasts were frozen and were accompanied with the crops they'd been shot over. Poetic justice :yes:

There are a lot round my area, and it seems some Pheasant shooters need a trip to Specsavers! :hmm::good:

How do you know they didn't intend to shoot it/them?

As long as they aren't shot before the first game bird on a drive, any pigeons, jays etc are all added to the cart.

If people are having problems justifying shooting them, they should take a trip to some of the areas near Heathrow to see what happens when they get properly established. They have more less driven native birds out of some gardens.

I can't quite believe what I'm hearing on here at times, every dead parakeet is one less to breed and believe me if you had them in the garden you would want rid as well. I've a friend who has had 27 so far this year from his bird table in Enfield and the neighbours love him for it. These can be noisier than having a rookery at the end of the garden at first light all summer, they aren't a native species and they are impacting on birds here so go for it fll your boots and as Charlie says enjoy doing so :good:

all this GL ******** there is always a reason you can apply if the need ever arose, it seems fine for people to shoot pigeons whenever they want to but not some other species and to include parrots is a ******* joke.

As Stuart says I would imagine the game shots fully intended to add them to the game wagon as you can do with any flying vermin

Its always a hot topic shooting "pest" species" in the garden.

I was talking to my FLO about the whole aspect of the general licence(s)as regards pigeon shooting. He was absolutely emphatic that it is not a "sport" and that they can only be shot under the terms of the general licence. Ok so far. Under the terms of the GL, they can be shot to:

Prevent the spread of disease

Preserve Flora and Fauna etc

Prevent serious crop damage.

So I asked him, if I was decoying them to a field that they weren't feeding/damaging crops,roost shooting, flighting etc how would that be legal under the terms of the GL? His answer was quite emphatic, and that is the key word being prevention. By shooting a pigeon today, you are compling with the terms of the GL for tomorrow. It would appear that providing it is safe and you are legally entitled to be there, the location...garden,field of rape or otherwise is irrelevant.

I am only the messenger :yes:

Ive never heard of or seen these Green Parakeets except when in the Jungle.

Where are they living? Im guessing we dont see them up North?

Can anyone post a picture of one in the wild?

im just interested, cheers,

SG

There was a article on TV filmed in Kew Gardens(?) not that long ago, one of the trees was literally green with them, if you don't have them you should consider yourself lucky. Maybe it is too cold up North for them?

Green_Parakeet_Flock.jpg

Guest terry the rat

Where I live there are 1,000s of them, they flock over my house in the evenings in droves going to the local roost.

I very often shoot them when I am out decoying, you can hear them coming from a long way but they fly very fast and they flare when you lift a gun to them.

The local roost is about half a mile from me and this winter i would say there is about 5-6,000 birds there and it is increasing every year.

The amount of noise that they make in the evenings and first light is deafening and i dont know how the people who live next to the roost suffer it.

If you dont believe the amounts of birds that i have quoted go and look for yourself.

They roost at Hither green crematorium, Verdant lane London SE6. They mostly roost in the poplar trees

Edited by terry the rat

if you actually read my posts properly you realize you've completely missed the point-i DONT shoot absolutely every thing i see obviously you do! for instance if i was out shooting and a pigeon dropped on my head at 5 yards away i wouldn't shoot it because it would blow it to bits and be no good to no one,like i wouldn't shoot a pheasant on a driven day if i could poke it out the sky with my barrels thats showing compassion and sportsmanship.do you understand now?

I did read your post, and you make it quite clear you DON'T shoot absolutely everything.

However, agreeing with the shooting of alien species doesn't mean I shoot everything wholesale. I haven't even seen a parakeet, let alone shot one. I have however seen the damage invasive species do to indigenous fauna and flora.

Pigeon shooting is good sport, (albeit disguised as pest control) and is done sportingly. As you say it would be "no good to no one" if shot to bits. That is the difference between shooting it for the pot and for control.

I do enjoy shooting and don't deny it, but not on a mass scale.

Thankfully this thread seems to be taking a turn towards more rational thought.

How do you know they didn't intend to shoot it/them?

As long as they aren't shot before the first game bird on a drive, any pigeons, jays etc are all added to the cart.

If people are having problems justifying shooting them, they should take a trip to some of the areas near Heathrow to see what happens when they get properly established. They have more less driven native birds out of some gardens.

There is nothing in the General Licence conditions that covers shooting into a flock of birds that appeared from the horizon and flew over.

That's what many seem to be missing here.

I hate the things and they are a pain in many respects, I am not suggesting in any way shape or form that they should not be removed, but many seem to think they can shoot them whenever they want, whatever they are doing and wherever they are.WRONG

READ the GL, they appear on 3 of them I believe, possibly more, there are conditions imposed for their removal, it is NOT Open season on Parakeet!

As I say, the response from many here is they are on the GL so I can shoot them, it just isn't that simple, I posted 3 of the GL earlier, take a look!

And for a certain person who also said he shot them to prevent damage to his fruit crop, even though he didn't have anything in crop, then, if they simply happened to be sitting in the tree you DID NOT comply with the GL.

There seems a great deal of confusion, or a lack of understanding of the General Licences, that is VERY obvious from numerous post here.

ATB!

Hi again, on an earlier post I highlighted the wording below, as in, see ,,,,, item o)

Dekers also put the same link up, bottom of page 2, unfortunately he didn't scroll down to the section below, item o)

o) Condition 3 of this licence – which requires users to satisfy themselves that other appropriate legal methods of resolving the problem are either ineffective or impracticable - only applies to bird species that Natural England considers to be native to Great Britain (these are listed at paragraph 2(i)(a) and 2(ii)); it does not apply to non-native species (listed at paragraphs 2(i)(B)). People may use non-lethal methods, such as scaring and proofing, for non-natives and are encouraged to do so where this is the best solution to a problem, but these methods do not need to be shown to be ineffective or impracticable before this licence can be relied upon.

I think, as I said earlier, this covers the OP and any "open season on parakeets" issues :good:

Unless I'm reading it wrong :hmm:

regards

ps. the smirky smiley in the middle of the paragraph appeared by itself from the bracketed i's, honest :o ;)

Edited by JKD

I did read your post, and you make it quite clear you DON'T shoot absolutely everything.

However, agreeing with the shooting of alien species doesn't mean I shoot everything wholesale. I haven't even seen a parakeet, let alone shot one. I have however seen the damage invasive species do to indigenous fauna and flora.

Pigeon shooting is good sport, (albeit disguised as pest control) and is done sportingly. As you say it would be "no good to no one" if shot to bits. That is the difference between shooting it for the pot and for control.

I do enjoy shooting and don't deny it, but not on a mass scale.

Thankfully this thread seems to be taking a turn towards more rational thought.

glad we cleaned that up then! :D

Ive never heard of or seen these Green Parakeets except when in the Jungle.

Where are they living? Im guessing we dont see them up North?

Can anyone post a picture of one in the wild?

im just interested, cheers,

plenty up here, colony in the local park, 1st time I saw and HEARD two fly over my garden I assumed they were escapees, till my daughter who goes through the park every day to school put me right.

KW

Edited by kdubya