Green Parakeet

amateur

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ps. the smirky smiley in the middle of the paragraph appeared by itself from the bracketed i's, honest :o ;)

Same thing happened to me when I posted it earlier. It is the b followed by a bracket as in B) but you can put a space in to stop it as in b ) :good:

Same thing happened to me when I posted it earlier. It is the b followed by a bracket as in B) but you can put a space in to stop it as in b ) :good:

Yeah mate, looks odd in the middle of that text :blink:

Can I also say, it's amazing how many people quote the GL, but don't actually read it right through :hmm:

When I took up shooting, not too long ago ;) the first thing I did was to find as much info on what I could shoot [live things <_< ]

where and when etc etc. It's common sense to do that surely :hmm: Obviously some of the wording in the GL is open to interpretation, but most of it is quite easy to follow/understand.

Says me, donning my hardhat :unsure: :oops::D

Got this ok'd by a Mod, so going to put up a pic of a Ring-necked Parakeet I shot in april last year. It was one of only 8 I got after they were added to the GL. This was on a Lakes permission, where they cause quite a lot of damage as I said on an earlier post :angry: I only got 8, because they blend in well with leaf cover, and fly very fast, so with an air rifle you've got to be in the right place etc :sly:

This shows their size against a woody, for those that haven't seen one,,,,, a parakeet that is :rolleyes:

I hope amateur doesn't mind me tagging this on his thread :);)

006.jpg

Edited by JKD

There was a article on TV filmed in Kew Gardens(?) not that long ago, one of the trees was literally green with them, if you don't have them you should consider yourself lucky. Maybe it is too cold up North for them?

They are found in the Himalaya's amongst other places and are easily equipped to deal with cold weather as long as they can find enough food.

On the RSPB's website it says:

"Problems and legal status

These colourful birds are sometimes loved and sometimes hated as garden visitors. There are concerns of how they may affect our native fauna, and of their impact on fruit-growers.

As yet, there has been no problem either way, but as their numbers increase, they may become a problem in the future.

Despite being an introduced species, the ring-necked parakeet is protected in the wild under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. However, it may be killed or taken under the terms of some General Licences. It is illegal to release or allow them to escape into the wild."

Edited by The Duncan

As yet, there has been no problem either way, but as their numbers increase, they may become a problem in the future.

Unfortunately that comment is about 5 years out of date in some parts of the country at least.

My parents have a damson tree that we have a vested interest in it as it provides us with fruit for jam and damson vodka.

Last year while they were on holiday the entire crop was decimated by parekeets.

I'm in berks and we have thousands of them, i know of a local roost where well over 2000 congregate every night, thats in just one roost!

i know of others with large numbers also, over the last 10 years the numbers have really exploded, they are a real nuisense species and cause massive damage to fruit crops, they eat the buds from trees in spring, and the the bully wood peckers and little owls out of their nesting holes, i have personally seen the effect it has had on our little owl population on the farm, subsequently i have an absolute loathing for them and have shot hundreds, sure the look nice but that's what people thought about the grey squirrel and look what happened to our native red as a result, they are not a native species and need culling as the multiply at an alarming rate.

YIS SN

Hi again, on an earlier post I highlighted the wording below, as in, see ,,,,, item o)

Dekers also put the same link up, bottom of page 2, unfortunately he didn't scroll down to the section below, item o)

o) Condition 3 of this licence – which requires users to satisfy themselves that other appropriate legal methods of resolving the problem are either ineffective or impracticable - only applies to bird species that Natural England considers to be native to Great Britain (these are listed at paragraph 2(i)(a) and 2(ii)); it does not apply to non-native species (listed at paragraphs 2(i)(B)). People may use non-lethal methods, such as scaring and proofing, for non-natives and are encouraged to do so where this is the best solution to a problem, but these methods do not need to be shown to be ineffective or impracticable before this licence can be relied upon.

I think, as I said earlier, this covers the OP and any "open season on parakeets" issues :good:

Unless I'm reading it wrong :hmm:

regards

ps. the smirky smiley in the middle of the paragraph appeared by itself from the bracketed i's, honest :o ;)

Guys

I have no desire to prolong this thread but whilst we are at it I think it best everyone gets the idea.

There are LOTS of General Licenses issued every year and various wildlife can be removed for various reasons.

JKD...You are not reading it wrong, you are interpreting it wrong.

It is NOT open season on the Parakeet, that is why they appear on three different General Licenses at least. You can still only permanently remove them if they are causing any of the problems listed.

You cannot kill them if you think they may cause an issue sometime in the future.

The wording you highlighted simply removes the necessity to try other non lethal methods first, (as you are required to do under the terms of the GL for various wildlife) if they are in breach of any of the GL conditions.

Example:

1 Parakeet is sitting in your oak tree doing nothing in mid winter, it has not broken any of the conditions in any GL and you have no justification to kill it.

2 Parakeet is eating your Cider crop of apples from commercial trees in late summer, it has broken at least 2 GL conditions and can be killed immediately!

As the GL's advise, there are many legal ways you can kill the Parakeet, but you cannot simply kill them on sight if they have not infringed any of the GL conditions! That's why the GL's are there and that's why they have conditions.

ATB!

....... i dont think its right shooting a single one for a trophy in your back garden when it wasnt causing know harm..........

I forgot to add that I stuffed and mounted it to go in my trophy-room, alongside my golden eagle, osprey and the dodo collection.

• 1 year later...

:good::good: .........but for the protection of native species and fauna...in his back garden?

Discus! :good:

ATB!

A round object thrown by athletes

Just to add to the discussion, Parakeets are in Group B of WML - GL06, which means that you do not have to prove that non-lethal methods would be effective.

Its all in the detail gents .......... I for one will TRULY gen up on the GL now

maybe we have different morals then... If you garden was being mobbed by crows and magpies etc obviously you would take measures to control them,if a canadian goose landed in your garden would you shoot that to? it is classed as a pest species now! all im stating is that to me its un-sportsman like as much as you can say they are increasingly causing more problems i just dont feel the need to shoot one in my garden just to say i've shot one and whoever brought up the subject of mink-mink are a completely different kettle of fish than parakeet.

There is a huge difference between sport and pest control fella. Mink/Parakeet no difference (other than species !!) both non indigenous

• 1 month later...

It's really quite a confusing situation and I for one can't understand the rationale behind some decisions ...

The reason for eradication of non-native species is at times obvious as with MINK, GREY SQUIRREL, AMERICAN SIGNAL CRAYFISH etc. The existence whether intentionally or unintentional is irrelevant though ironic with certain species. Most non native species requiring eradication have a similar theme running through the reason as to there not being a desired species within this Island, (Ornamental, Sporting, Financial etc). What's gone on prior has been done, so resolving the issue is what matters, using the reason for the species being here is not an issue for its existence too remain, or is it ?

Factually/Scientifically should/would be the motivation as to the reason a non native species should desirably not exist here any longer, though are we using the same yard stick when considering eradication of various non native species ?

Out of interest is the legal pastime of breeding and retailing non native species such as RINGNECKS, BLACKNECKS, KANSAS PHEASANT, BLUEBACK, and FRENCH PARTRIDGES being released within the boundaries of this Island any different to the existence of the Green Parakeet ? ... I understand each species has a differing impact upon the land/waterways etc, but some have a very similar impact !

I'm curious to hear anyone's opinion as to the argument of eradication for one species whilst continuing to release non native wild life on this Island ... I know they are being released for a sporting purpose ! ... but my point is how can an argument be made in general for eradication of non native species and that argument be reversed 180 degrees when it suits a rather small section of the public to continue releasing non native species solely for profit and not the enhancement of the countryside/promotion of native species ! ... I understand it could be argued that shooting the introduced species takes the pressure of the home grown species and in its present format that is true. But that confuses the whole idea of non native species eradication, doesn't it ?? ... all so confusing me thinks ! ...

I've not the answer and I would gladly shoot Mink, Grey Squirrels etc ... it just seem such an easy argument for none shooting people to punch holes in ....

It may be an old thread dug up by a person who's contribution of a few 'ha ha ha's' no doubt added something of worth... :rolleyes:

However, it still goes without saying that anyone who wouldn't kill a sodding parakeet or grey squirrel because it wasn't sporting or didn't agree with their ethics despite the fact they shoot is a blithering idiot. If I could push a button and wipe out every single last one of those two species currently living wild in the UK then I would do it.

FM