Maintained Lead or Swing through

Moors Man

I agree fully that on something as unpredictable as a decoyed woodie a full library of shooting methods is the best defence.

ML is certainly valid, even in fast situations, mount in front, stay in front, shoot in front. Just get on with it.

ST, equally valid, possibly better. Especially when taking a second bird firing the afterburners as its mate tumbles or taking a departing bird that had landed in.

Method or PA, Ok on steadier shots (not a bad idea to try shooting a few using this if you are struggling to see the correct lead.)

Spot/Ambush. Very useful for stallers, the ones who have all but landed and sneak in while you get your flask out, or when you get caught out daydreaming/picking your nose.

I would consider a few possible causes for misses here.

Not allowing for differing lines and angles of approach. Full on crosser needing more percieved lead than a bird quartering in or away. Worth considering.

Is the OP attempting to assess lead too much and reffering to the rib, thus causing the swing to either stop or become stuttered?

"Riding" the bird. Let it in and then deal with it in the shortest time you can using whatever method. Don't rush though. Mount too soon and you have too much time to induce variables, like the pigeon putting in evasive manouvres.

Focus on the bird. The subconscious mind is a far beter shot than the conscious mind. Don't overthink it.

As to hides. Needs to be blended in, secure, offering good visibilty for you and concealment. Oh, and space. I have seen some excellent hides badly located, hides which wobble and fall over, nets that sag or ones that offer good concealment but are stood out like a pimple on a breast and pokey little ones that just annoy you all day are all bad.

Dunno I guess swing through for most stuff but maintened lead for slow hovering crows like Gordon says its mix and match really. Main thing is concentrate on the bird!!

Hide wise 4 poles and a couple of bits of stealth is plenty if you sit still..... all from shooters warehouse

Oh and some cord and pegs for guys if it's windy

I am not sure I know!..high crossers pull through,birds committed maintained lead I think is about right.I do not really consciously think about it...I have a memory bank of lead for pigeon shooting and I think shoot more from these memorised pictures than any formal application of lead.

For a hide have 4 poles,3 nets of different colours and just put the most suitable for seasonal cover on outside then add foliage/grasses whatever to blend hide in a bit,last few times have actually put hide in middle of 4/5 foot high nettles and just plonked chair down flattened a bit out.Most important bit is to keep still until moment you take the shot..If decoying this is the moment they set their wings and are committed as they seem not to notice your gun mount when they are set on a landing path.

atb.

I dont ever stop to check lead or anything else like that. I just look at the bird mount the gun and shoot - let the brain work out the rest..Someone teaches this method but I cant think what he calls it.. Anyway, I hit more birds now that I'm not faffing about trying to work out lead and all that guff. Get on the clays and try the method.

"CHURCHILL METHOD" I Think Mate:

See the pigeon and shoot it.

Each bird will give you a different target picture, left to right,right to left singles, pairs, incomers,going away,rising and falling and then the sneaky one that drops in unnoticed and walks about the pattern (the pi$$ taker), you have to adapt to the situation.

You have plenty of time to think whilst waiting for the birds.

• 2 months later...

I was trying maintained lead the other day with poor results ( very poor ), but when I was just about to pour some coffee or eat a sandwich, a pigeon would swoop in and I would have hardly any time to drop the mug/ sarnie, pick up my gun, close it, pull the hammers back, stand up and have a quick swing at him !! And yet these were the best shots of the day.........right on the pattern, big old puff of feathers followed by a very dead pigeon ploughing into the deck.

Perhaps we think too much about which style is better............whichever approach lets you get them clean is the best !! :good: