Auto clay trap recommendations?

snipe

Hi,

looking to purchase an auto/electric clay trap. There are a few on the market, but would appreciate some advice please.

Looking to spend around the £500 mark. Something to mess around with at home and to (hopefully) improve my shooting after the game season ends.

Any thoughts on these?

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/854b1d1d28b328b055287818/Champion+Easybird+Auto+Feed+Clay+Trap+'28CTT40910'29+/

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/214b1d2058a44df889143289/Do+All+Outdoors+Aerial+Assault+Clay+Trap+'28DATAA7777'29/

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROMATIC-Elite-Clay-Pigeon-Trap-personal-use-machine-/190483149231?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item2c59ae31af

Thanks,

Snipe.

Research and past comments on the forum would have the promatic superhawk as a sensible purchase? if that is so, any idea where they can be sourced cheaply? Around the £600 mark was branded on another thread. Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Snipe.

I looked into this a while ago and am still considering it I suppose (just to tight to part with the hard earned :lol: ) and the trap that came out the most reasonable was the Acorn Autoclay 65. You can buy it with a tilt table for loopers as well as standard elevation changes for teal, etc. It is available with trolley, etc also. Can't remember exact price but it did work out more reasonable than the rest.

I looked into this a while ago and am still considering it I suppose (just to tight to part with the hard earned :lol: ) and the trap that came out the most reasonable was the Acorn Autoclay 65. You can buy it with a tilt table for loopers as well as standard elevation changes for teal, etc. It is available with trolley, etc also. Can't remember exact price but it did work out more reasonable than the rest.

Go for the free one from Barry :lol: I'll give you the details on Wednesday or PM them to you tonight :yes:

the trap that came out the most reasonable was the Acorn Autoclay 65.

There's a reason for this. My mate bought one and it seems to be built down to a price, made from pretty floppy metal and not too reliable. Having used it a few times, I bought a Promatic instead, very pleased with it and well worth the extra cash, just as solid and well made as the commercial traps. Promatic sell direct on Ebay, I couldn't find cheaper anywhere else and the customer service is excellent.

....I bought a Promatic instead, very pleased with it and well worth the extra cash, just as solid and well made as the commercial traps. Promatic sell direct on Ebay, I couldn't find cheaper anywhere else and the customer service is excellent.

Me too. I bought a superhawk via promatic on ebay. Excellent piece of kit!

Promatic all the way for me too.

I bought a Promatic Colt single stacker 10 years ago and it has stood out in all weathers, rarely misses a beat and then it is just need of a spray of oil on the scissor plate that drops the clay. I also have a Promatic Ranger and it has never failed once.

I have Laporte, Farey and Bowman traps too because they were good 2nd hand bargains but for simplicity and reliability it is Promatic from now on.

Some popular traps are made down to a price and I doubt they will be as reliable or long lived.

I brought an acorn autoclay 65 with the remote release kit, as it worked out cheapest. The trap has been very reliable, but there is quite a long delay between pressing the button and releasing the clay. The button has to be depressed for at least two seconds to work. The delay is off putting and if I had known, I would have got a promatic.

Thanks for all the replies, which are greatly appreciated. I am sold on the promatic, especially with unbiased reports above. I'd rather spend a bit more but have something last.

Thanks once again for your input and time.

Snipe.

As we continue to try and grow our little shoot down near Hastings, East Sussex, we have looked at quite a few auto traps.

We currently have a Bowman supermatch 1. Throws midi or standards just with the change of a tower. We use it mainly with the 100 bird midi hopper on. A superb trap that never misses a beat.

Back in June we bought the Promatic Osprey. Cracking trap. Holds 300 standards, has full tilt from teal to hitting the ground a foot in front of the trap and full left/right tilt. Heavy duty piece of kit. We took the offer which included 2 pallets of clays. We were not so impressed with the quality of the promatic clays or their delivery. They were packaged so tightly by industrial wrapping that many of the corner boxes were crushed. The fork lift that lowered them did so at such speed I heard the pallets thump the ground. We had a lot of no birds with the protmatic clays which we were worried was the trap not set up right. Then we bought some CCI clays and they whistle through, and we had very few no birds. We just have to grin and bare it with the promatic clays until they're all gone, which we be in another 2 or 3 months. Then it is back to our CCI order. Still, cannot fault the trap though.

I think our next purchase might just be a Laporte 185pc midi trap. Like promatic they are really strong looking traps. They also come with 2 pallets of free clays from the English clay company.

Back to the original posters question. I think the traps you put links to aren't that good. They look flimsy and low grade. I would recommend Promatic or Bowman as an end user. Oh, and customer service is equally good at Bowman.