Latest scam

officerdibble777

I recieved this a short time ago and thought everyone should know.

The scam works like this:

Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank) did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £497.99 from a Marketing company based in London ?" When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?" You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on the back of your card (0800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works, the caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card."

He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number .

be aware john

if someone rings up like that i always like to have a bit of fun and say to them

" i will have to take YOU through security before the call can go any further".

i then ask their date of birth and address and they normally get ****** off and say "why do you need to know?"

"its just company policy, i'm afraid" :lol:

Edited by artschool

There are always enough scroats around to think up new scams...how about this one.

Supermarket..Tesco Asda wherever, check your receipt before you leave the checkout. They often ask if you want cashback, but when they don't you may just find there is a cashback transaction on your receipt. If you challenge it the checkout person is "ever so sorry" and tells you the machine has been playing up all day. Its a scam the thieving **** pass the cash on to a friend who joins that queue at a prearranged signal so the supermarket management see nothing amiss on the cams.

I had another one a few weeks ago..phone call from 'Aviva car insurance' offering extra £30,000 cover for accidental injury for only £1.99 a month plus for another £1.99 your partner coud be included as well.

The caller knew all my insurance details the car reg everything, very plausible. However when he asked for my 8 digit bank account number alarm bells rang. I pay my car insurance by direct debit so they have my number. I asked the guy "where did I get my car from" Carcraft have a deal with Aviva whereby you get 7 days free insurance when you buy a car from them. Also the premium was better than Churchill.

He put me on hold for about 2 mins and then came back and said sorry we don't have that information. They should have known so told him sod off or something like that, definitely ended with off.

Typo correction

Edited by Sha Bu Le