Deer stalkers / shooters - How many do you take a year and what specie

Salop Matt

As above folks, how many deer do you take a year ?

And also what quantitys of each species do you take ?

I am aiming this question mor at the hobbie shooters as apposed to the estate management lot and stalker wh do guides etc. Am looking more at average jo who shoots for food for their own table and pest control as part of there permition.

In 2009 1, my first ever deer, a roe buck.

In 2010 it was 6: 3 red stags, 1 roe doe, 1 fallow buck and one fallow doe so 6 in total.

Out for my first outing of 2011 tomorrow afternoon :D I hope to nock it up a notch further and to be nearer 20 this year but we shall see where the funds go.

George

I take one Fallow Buck early in the rut and then look for a something special, I take the odd other species Buck/Stag as they come along and I take anywhere from 10-20 Fallow Does for meat.

In truth I spend more time rolling Goats and Pigs now days and I have gone back to the good old relaxing days of popping Bunnies on a quiet afternoon for a bit of fun.

Deer are just too much work down here with the scouting, watching, waiting and constantly checking out new ground.

That's a tough one. It varies so much and I've not been doing it for long enough to get a clear picture. Going on last year I think about 15-20 Roe and a couple of Munties? Usually I just shoot them for myself but if there's a problem somewhere I may take two or three or even more in a day and give them to some local farmers who will take them as shot.

I lose track of time and don't really count them, but going on one per month for me and then a couple of clear ups that sounds about right.

I'm looking forward to taking a Fallow soon. I've had an invite so need to pull my finger out and go! I've never shot one!

As a recreational stalker I shoot up to 5 roe deer a year, one or two for myself and the rest are for friends who ask for one(or part of one). I also shoot the occaisional fallow.

I also help with a cull and there the figures are large for roe and if the reds would oblige then that too could be fairly high however that ground doesn`t hold many fallow so we don`t shoot them.

I would imagine in a wider poll recreational stalkers probably shoot 1 a month?

It's easy to shoot as many as you want if you want to pay to do it, I only paid to shoot 2 last year the rest were free, either on my land or invites from others.

The 'problem' if you see it as that is what to do with the beast after it is shot, if you shoot on an estate the carcass will normally stay with them, if you shoot them on your own land and don't have a massive freezer or a game dealer within a 40 mile radius what do you do? I wait until we have room for another and then go stalking, or as I am hopefully doing this weekend, taking a friend so he can have the deer.