9.3X62, the Pig wrecking machine.

SPEEDY

Well after getting back from Charliville I thought that I would do a bit of a write up on some of the pigs I shot before the rest of the crew flew in.

To start with, I arrived on the property at about 8am after spending 3 hours at a petrol station waiting for it to open. After arriving there I had a shower and went to bed, as the owner wasn't there and I wanted to say G'day before heading off for a shot.

I got up after lunch and started to acclimatise by sitting in the air-con and enjoying a few frosty cans of soft drink :shifty:

Well after the owner and his family arrived from town he told me that he had lost a tire off of his trailer, so I offed to drive him back down the driveway to see if we could find it (30km) So I threw the rifle in with no intention of shooting anything but knowing full well that I would see the pig of the trip if I didn't.

Well, we drove about 20km down the track with no sign of the tire, as we drove across a swamp I was looking at on the way in, I told the owner to keep an eye out as it looked pretty piggy on the way in. Well there sitting 20m beside the track was a top Boar, well I stopped the truck, got out, passed my can of soft drink to the owner and looked to see where the Bore had run off to, it turned out that he not only hadn't moved, but was quietly having a feed completely ignoring me and the truck.

Well, I lined him up and dropped him on the spot.

1st.jpg

Well having no luck finding the tire we drove back, 5km down from where I got the Boar I saw another young Boar standing in the scrub miles from anywhere, I pulled to a stop, got out and dropped him on the spot too :D

2nd.jpg

Well I was asked not to go shooting by one of the blokes coming up as he didn't want the place shot out before the rest got there, I'm flattered that he thought I could shoot out 200,000ac in two days but I stuck to drinking with the owner instead, honest no shooting was done at all :shifty:

Well after they left and many pigs had hit the ground, probably our best trip there too, it was time to do some real hunting.

Well I started by heading out the afternoon they left to a good spot that I had left alone, sort of a private reserve that only I know about, I was rewarded within 15min of getting there with a big Sow.

3rd.jpg

After taking a few pic's I headed to the end of the water course feeling pretty good with things when another good Boar burst out of cover and took a round in the neck.

4th.jpg

Well I rolled a few sows the next morning and had an easy day, I went out that afternoon to a good spot and rolled a bunch of sows up and down a swamp, as I was walking back to the truck I saw a mob come out of the scrub feeding 500m away. I stalked over watching the wind and took a few pic's of them feeding.

5th1.jpg

After I finished taking photos I shot the closest Boar and got a few more before they made the fence, I chased them and shot a few others as they regrouped at the scrub. I don't know for sure how many I shot but I dragged ones in the open together for a pic just before I lost the light.

5th2.jpg

I shot a few more the next morning and then I helped kill and butcher a beast that was left to hang. I went out that afternoon late to walk a black soil swamp, well I saw nothing until I got back to the truck, I was 35m or so away when a big Boar burst out of cover, he must have been lying there the whole time, I snapped off a shot as he made it into cover, nothing heard or seen, so I ran to the other side to get a shot only to see nothing, damn.

I walked back to where I saw him when I took the shot looking for some blood or some sign of a hit, what I found was a Big solid Bore with 286gn pill hole at the base of his ear.

6th.jpg

Well after all my good luck I had a late night with the owner and his family, of course we had to get up at 4am to cut up that beast.

After that was done it was too late to go out for a shot, so I went back to sleep and got up around lunch time.

I decided to head out that afternoon with the 223rem barrel on to try it out on pigs, I had a bunch of different pills to try out from FMJ, HP's and SP's, well there were a heap of small and medium pigs running around so it was perfect for a test.

Long story short, the 223rem is not a pig round, while it is fine for head and neck shots I was more realistic and went with chest shots.

Young Bore shot at 1mm on the run after taking one in the chest with the 223rem.

223-1.jpg

Decent Sow shot on the way back to the house that was feeding in an old bore drain as the light was dying.

223-2.jpg

All in all it was one top trip with a lot of pigs hitting the ground and a lot of beer hitting my gut :D

A few more pic's

Sow I picked up while dropping off some fencing supply's with the owner, I got a funny story about that dog to, lucky ******.

nightsow.jpg

A couple I got while they were sleeping in a billabong, bad way to wake up I guess.

Blacksow.jpg

gingerninja.jpg

Young Black Boar that I rolled one evening after getting back from a drive.

nightboar.jpg

Actually there seemed to be a lot of Boars around and we got some good hooks this trip.

shaggyboar.jpg

I shot this Sow on the runway while I was waiting for the plane to arrive 400-500 down from the house.

runwaysow.jpg

A nice little Boar I shot the 1st morning I was there.

littleranger.jpg

A solid Boar I shot about 20min after shooting the last one.

whitesox.jpg

I hope this tholds you over for a bit as I'm now sick of cropping and shrinking photos already.

Wow !

Now that's very different indeed. Just pull over on a public road & shoot a boar or two whilst your pal holds your tinny for you... Glory be!

Keep the photos coming.

Don't worry it's not a public road, he just has 35 mile worth of drive way :D 200,000ac seems to cover a lot of ground for some reason :hmm:

Edited by SPEEDY

Ok few more pic's,

This is what happens when a mob of pigs tries to squeeze through a gap near a man with a 9.3X62.

oldnew.jpg

Now for a few scenic shots, to give you a small Idea of the place and how much the country changes across it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Now to truly put things into perspective, the 3 dams/swamps that you can see in the background are in the same paddock as the main one that you can see, that's a 30,000ac paddock and it's not the biggest one there and only one of many.

No gates, no fences just a few tracks and a lot of wilderness.

7.jpg

Just for something special, this is a mate of mine and this is his story.

Rifle Sako TRG 338lapua topped with a Leupold Mark 4 M1 6-20X50, range 100m, target huge Boar with ripping tusks.

http://s811.photobucket.com/albums/zz32/Ultrabat_photos/Random/?action=view&current=The****Video.mp4

Edited by SPEEDY

Bonkers! You on holiday or do you live out that way like? Open a sausage shop man.

I was on holiday for 2 weeks at a friends property, I got there 3 days before the rest of the boys who flew up and I stayed 3 days after they left.

I go up there at least once a year but I'm planing on going back up for a week or so around mid year.

as a side note its in south west QLD and is a 17 hour drive from where I live, about 1200km or about 750 miles.

Edited by SPEEDY

wow cracking pics,cracking shooting and write up,fair patch of land there mate,anything else worth shooting apart from the boars?? :good:

We got some Goats for the pot, saw some ok Billies but let them go as the Farmer is trying to let them breed up, there were heaps of Foxes, Feral cats and Bunnies as well and if your lucky then there are Dingo's as well but them ******* are crafty.

Now to truly put things into perspective, the 3 dams/swamps that you can see in the background are in the same paddock as the main one that you can see, that's a 30,000ac paddock and it's not the biggest one there and only one of many.

No gates, no fences just a few tracks and a lot of wilderness.

7.jpg

wow thats very classy taking a plane to the next drive i have an old landrover defender to get round my shoot and you boys get bloody planes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: looks a cracking place very very envious :good: :good: :good:

No they just fly up there, once there we drive around it just takes a while to get anywhere.

It could be a 20min to 3 hour drive to get from one good spot to the next, it all depends on distance and how good the track is as some are very very rough.