Gardener

hendersons

My work is thinking of employing a gardener to tend a veg plot for us. As I have little knowledge of such things I have a few questions. I know a few of you work in this kind of field (sorry no pun intended) so I thought I would throw it open to the p.w. oracle.

The garden is around 3 acres in size with a couple of polytunnels and quite a lot of open ground. We hope to supply our restaurant with most of the veg we need and perhaps if able to sell a few things to others.

So my questions are:

1) How many gardeners would we need we we're hoping 1 but i'm all ears?

2)would they work on a full or part time basis?

3)would they only be able to produce a decent amount of veg in the warmer months or would they be able to keep it going all year (obviously we would just be expecting seasonal things from them)?

4)What would be the expected annual sallary of a full or part time gardener.

The location of the garden would be between swindon and cirencester, if it helps to know the location

I'm sure I may have a few more questions as I think of a few more things but thanks for now

Nick

A 3 acre veg garden will feed a village :blink:

My 1/4 acre allotment supplied me and my family with loads of fruit and veg, but I had to give it up because I didn't have time to look after it.....so I reckon you will need at least 1 full time gardener, just my own guesstimate, mind :good:

My work is thinking of employing a gardener to tend a veg plot for us. As I have little knowledge of such things I have a few questions. I know a few of you work in this kind of field (sorry no pun intended) so I thought I would throw it open to the p.w. oracle.

The garden is around 3 acres in size with a couple of polytunnels and quite a lot of open ground. We hope to supply our restaurant with most of the veg we need and perhaps if able to sell a few things to others.

So my questions are:

1) How many gardeners would we need we we're hoping 1 but i'm all ears?

2)would they work on a full or part time basis?

3)would they only be able to produce a decent amount of veg in the warmer months or would they be able to keep it going all year (obviously we would just be expecting seasonal things from them)?

4)What would be the expected annual sallary of a full or part time gardener.

The location of the garden would be between swindon and cirencester, if it helps to know the location

I'm sure I may have a few more questions as I think of a few more things but thanks for now

Nick

If you have poytunnels then a year round supply of fresh veg for the restaurant...plug.... ( Allium in Fairford...The best epicurian experience for many a mile, certainly in the surrounding counties in my opinion)is easily achievable, with surplus.( unless you get thise fat geordie biker chefs sniffing around again ) :lol:

In this area of the Cotswolds I would imagine an advert placed in the hedger and ditcher ( Wilts & Glos Standard ) for a full time gardener, to suit active retiree would bring plenty of response. I would have thought such a position would command a salary of about £12 - 15 k per annum perhaps less if the incumbant didnt want to pay tax.....If I was not actively employed, burdened by a large mortgage and three darling children.. I would bite their hands off.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Thanks for that Mike thats another half of shandy I owe you. Give me a shout next time you're in I will be looking short, fat, grumpy and out the back. Funny you should mention the geordie blokes had a email from one of them earlier trying to cadge a recipe.

You could always sell the kids to a passing gypsy. Jack the job in and come grow a few turnips for us.

Thanks for that Mike thats another half of shandy I owe you. Give me a shout next time you're in I will be looking short, fat, grumpy and out the back. Funny you should mention the geordie blokes had a email from one of them earlier trying to cadge a recipe.

You could always sell the kids to a passing gypsy. Jack the job in and come grow a few turnips for us.

Too generous.... :lol::lol:

I thought that was the Boss man.. :lol:

Edited by Fisherman Mike

3 arces of garden / veg would it suit a active retires person maybe not thats a huge undertaken .

The key factors is what condition of the site is in now up and running or run down.

If its run down it will take 2/3 years to reach full potential.

Mikes wages forcast for COTWOLDS is how do I be polite way off the mark for the type of skilled worker to come up with the goods for this project you could not hedge your bets on a amateur to fullfill your works needs.

wages roughly 18k to 24k for trained if you provide tools and EG rotovator for a plot on your scale not your mickey mouse thing .

If your new full time gardener is self employed providing full and machinery then forecast of wages could be higher.

Should be able to provide year round seasonal crops.

Would one gardener do it I fear not unless you works have full self watering system who would harvest the crops and whats your useage EG how many KGs of say carrots you use ETC.

Its wonderfull project that I fear could be held its hugely labour hungry with less gain in the short time for money saving .

PM me if you company would like me come and view and give my opinion .

Cheers OTH

£18-24K is what I'd expect to pay a company to do the work on a contract basis. There's no way you need to pay that for a full time on the books gardener, even here. I know a lot of blokes that work for about the figure Mike was pushing and they're good. You don't need someone with seven degrees to grow veg, just someone who knows their stuff and is keen.

If I hear of anyone worth having that is after a job then I'll send them your way. And OTH, don't suppose you've got any work going spare at £24k per year? I'll do it!

£18-24K is what I'd expect to pay a company to do the work on a contract basis. There's no way you need to pay that for a full time on the books gardener, even here. I know a lot of blokes that work for about the figure Mike was pushing and they're good. You don't need someone with seven degrees to grow veg, just someone who knows their stuff and is keen.

If I hear of anyone worth having that is after a job then I'll send them your way. And OTH, don't suppose you've got any work going spare at £24k per year? I'll do it!

PMd you Nick

get the mechanisation right and the labour is a minor issue, I've a mate farms 500 acres with help at peak times from one person and that is it. 3 acres is nothing if you get them a small kubota with a few implements to do the hard work. If you can oversee them and plan it right it is pretty unskilled labour you require, if they have to organise the whole lot then you do need someone with a little nouse about them. On 3 acres I'd be having a few pigs as well and going the whole smallholding route

It might be worth your while visiting The Veg Shed in Tetbury, a friend of mine's father runs the operation there and I believe they are very successful with it, so they might be able to give you a few pointers and you can see what sort of quantity of produce and seasonality.

Thanks for all the replys so far chaps,

Teal I have never heard of the place in Tetbury and appreciate the heads up, I will get over there on monday and have a mooch. Is it on the duchy estate?

Can anybody suggest a decent supplier for polytunnels preferably one somebody has used themselves.

Thanks again Nick

What a great set up you have got!

I think one person should be fine for the job and I would have thought somewhere around £8 - £9 per hour should do the job. Obviously, you could offer less if there was a house that went with the job and it would make it much more attractive, but make sure you have a good service tenancy agreement if you do.

I agree 100% with al4x and his suggestions on machinery - expensive to start off with but will repay the investment many times over, although you do need a secure shed to keep it all in.

It looks as if there should be a surplus of produce from your garden and polytunnels but probably not all the year round quite although I appreciate that Glos is milder then N Ireland but winters can be very cold - as I remember from my time at the RAC. Polytunnels will extend your growing season rather than give you 12 months. For that you would need proper glasshouses and heating, which is a different operation altogether.

You might consider some sort of "profit share" or whatever you want to call it with your gardener from sales of surplus produce as this would incentivise him or her. You have been given some pointers as to possible outlets. I think restaurants will not be brilliant as all the smart ones more or less use vegetables & fruit in small quantities to enhance the appearance of the dish. Pubs that do food would be better and are there are any farmers markets where you could sell DIRECT or outfits that deliver produce boxes on a weekly or fortnightly basis who might be looking for real quality or more unusual stuff. We tried that here but there was not a huge demand and the person who did the boxes did not last for very long - however, Gloucestershire is very different from County Down!

Oh & yes, we had polytunnels here - no longer used and sold before Christmas. The buyer was slow to take them down and 8" of snow trashed the frames of all the ones that still had polythene on them, so do be aware of that risk. We have not had that amount of snow here for many many years - maybe 30 plus.

Do let us know how it goes......

Have you considered one full time person and possibly a student on their middle year of an amenity hort course?

Cheap wages and it'd look great on their CV, plus you may be able to claw back some of their wages.

Mrs P's college generally has a few, so I'm sure there must be some colleges down there that do as well, if not PM me.

P.