Advice: 4x4 Options on a Budget!

SilentKill

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just bought this, advertised on piston heads, Was up for £1450, haggled down to £1100, 89k, 2.8, lifted 2", off road tyres on, bull bar, lights, full camo paint job and a snorkel. Nice wagon, ive been looking for a goodun for about 3 months, and had considered a Frontera, Vampire has on and its not bad, but saw this and had to go for it! post-22170-0-19177900-1295475814.jpg

Not meaning to put anyones back up but I would avoid frontera and discovery like the plague money pit springs to mind! Fourtrak is a great choice great off road wil tow 3.5 ton and 30mpg reliable as hell and daihatsu was owned by Toyota then. Have you considered a Toyota hilux pickup or Nissan d21 or hilux surf? Pajero give a lot of car for money just thirsty. You tend to find with jap trucks the engines outlast the body work. Hope that's useful btw I've owned all of the trucks I've mention and more

If I hadnt of gone for my Fourtrak then I would of bought an Isuzu trooper SWB 3.1td. Get an ok one for a grand. Also My fourtrak has been wax coated, all the arches resealed and had the wider plastic ones put on, before I bought it I went underneath it and hit all the way around with a hammer. lol.

I'm looking at getting a Fourtrak or a Frontera :yes:

There is quite a few Fronteras on ebay so I reckon I'll end up with one....which model is the best all rounder/shooting truck? I don't do many miles so MPG etc. not really an issue :good:

if you can find a not too rusty one the fourtrak will go on and on economy wasn't 30mpg when I had one and they aren't as good to lamp from but you modify them to improve them. Engine wise though they beat fronteras hands down

I had a 2.2 diesel Frontera - almost the cheapest car to run I have ever had. We are on cars 99 and 100 at the moment.

It did 38mpg - checked a couple of times. Injector seals were the only repair - other than brake pads and discs.

I regret getting rid - I wanted something newer - serial car changer.

It drove better than my Discovery - on road. Quicker, better handling, quieter.

I used it to pull a twin axle box trailer - lads were in to motocross. Pulled three bikes, plus a barrel of water, power washer, fuel, tools, spare parts. Did it with ease. Excellent off road. I never went over anything really rough, but it pulled off muddy paddocks, which others had to be towed off.

Not meaning to put anyones back up but I would avoid frontera and discovery like the plague money pit springs to mind! Fourtrak is a great choice great off road wil tow 3.5 ton and 30mpg reliable as hell and daihatsu was owned by Toyota then. Have you considered a Toyota hilux pickup or Nissan d21 or hilux surf? Pajero give a lot of car for money just thirsty. You tend to find with jap trucks the engines outlast the body work. Hope that's useful btw I've owned all of the trucks I've mention and more

post-20222-0-80490400-1295516982.jpg :good: