SilentKill

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my vote goes for a trooper 3.1 swb.

on my second had this one about a year in that time done 20,000 miles mixed on road and full on off road, i'm a agri fencing contractor, tows 2 ton most days with ease running king pin aggresvie off orad tyres normally slice them up on flints and the like befor i wear them out. i gave £500ish for it and poss the best truck i've had and i've had alot of 4x4's.

Right,

as per title, i'm scouting around trying to do a bit of research but my 4x4 knowledge isnt that great (apart from driving a Range Rover Vogue for the firm)

Looking to spend no more than £1000, to include a 4x4 and reasonable set of tyres / upgrades needed.

Be mainly used as a Shooting vehicle / dog vehicle.

Diesel preferable but not the end of everything.

I've been looking at the likes of Daihatsu Fourtrak, Suzuki Jimny, Landrover Disco, Vauxhaul Frontera etc.

thoughts and recommendations please!

:good:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?513704-97-P-Land-Rover-Discovery-108k-miles-%A31-100-ono

but pretty useless unless its flat off road :no:

I got by for years with the Legacy and its predecessor shooting over low crops and stubble, and accessing fields using rutted farm tracks. Many of us don't need the full fat 4WD one trick pony options and something like the Forester as opposed to a FourTrak or Vitara, you can take the wife, kids, dog and luggage all at the same time.

I got by for years with the Legacy and its predecessor shooting over low crops and stubble, and accessing fields using rutted farm tracks. Many of us don't need the full fat 4WD one trick pony options and something like the Forester as opposed to a FourTrak or Vitara, you can take the wife, kids, dog and luggage all at the same time.

the funny thing though is my mates forester gives slightly less mpg than my L200 so though it is probably faster on the road thats about the only benefit. they will go where you would get a normal car in the dry and a little further in the wet

the funny thing though is my mates forester gives slightly less mpg than my L200 so though it is probably faster on the road thats about the only benefit. they will go where you would get a normal car in the dry and a little further in the wet

This is the little further........

:)

Right,

as per title, i'm scouting around trying to do a bit of research but my 4x4 knowledge isnt that great (apart from driving a Range Rover Vogue for the firm)

Looking to spend no more than £1000, to include a 4x4 and reasonable set of tyres / upgrades needed.

Be mainly used as a Shooting vehicle / dog vehicle.

Diesel preferable but not the end of everything.

I've been looking at the likes of Daihatsu Fourtrak, Suzuki Jimny, Landrover Disco, Vauxhaul Frontera etc.

thoughts and recommendations please!

:good:

The Jimny would be the cheapest to tax, run, insure and very cheap on parts :good:

Edited by chrispti

Hi,

Give a Nissan Terrano or Ford Maverick a look, had my old R Reg. Terrano now for nearly 3 years, is equally as good as as my previous 53 Reg. Discovery TD5 off road.

Only routine servicing in that time, never put a foot wrong, sailed through last 2 MOT's too.

It's a SWB 2.4i Petrol, only use it on odd weekends and only for shooting, stgill get about 26 mpg.

The Jimny would be the cheapest to tax, run, insure and very cheap on parts :good:

jimny would be ace, (i have one) but to get a good one for under £1000 would be hard. my advice is a sportrak or fourtrak(i had a sportrak). cheap as chips and if you stick some decent rubber on them they will get you most places.

I would recommend a toyota hilux, ive had a few and never had any problems. throw a decent set of at/r tyres on and they can handle most terrain. i agree with alex c though that £1k would buy you a truck but youd probably end up paying out more to get it up to standard. if you can scrape together an extra £500 you could probably get something worth keeping. the surf is a good model, plenty of space and very reliable the 2.4 diesel feels a bit underpowered for the size but the 3.0 version is spot on and more economical. worth a look anyway,

hope you find something

cheers

If you want a shooting truck then the frontera is very hard to beat,all 4x4 have their faults,but only the frontera comes with removable bikini roof which makes a safe lamping platform big enough stand two in,plus i can have mine in second gear in high ratio and it just pulls its self along in sticky stuff at under 1000rpm where my mates are stalling their ovals,if you can get an apache like mine it comes with all the goodies as a ltd edition,ie bigger wheels/tyres,rock sliders,bull bar/lights etc etc.once fitted with grabbers it made a big difference.

Thanks to my proof reader (luckyshot),this is now in the final draft :hmm:

post-21389-0-73011700-1297892289.jpg

Edited by vampire

If you want a shooting truck then the frontera is very hard to beat,all 4x4 have their faults,but only the frontera comes with removable bikini roof which makes a safe lamping platform big enough stand two in,plus i can have mine in second gear in high ratio and it just pulls its self along in sticky stuff at under 100rpm where my mates are stalling their ovals,if you can get an apache like mine it comes with all the goodies as a ltd edition,ie bigger wheels/tyres,rock sliders,bull bar/lights etc etc.once fitted with grabbers it made a big difference.

post-21389-0-73011700-1297892289.jpg

That must be a special truck as it should be ticking over at around 800rpm so pulling along at under 100rpm is simply fantastic :lol:

I have just been browsing the forums, nowt on TV, and happened across this topic. Can't believe that more people aren't recommending Mitsubishi Pajero. I have a 93 2.5 short wheel base and it gets me everywhere in any conditions. During the game season I was out in all weathers and conditions and it got me around fine. With the rear seats folded down there is plenty of room for my dog box that has had as many as four Labs in it. 30 MPG and engine is bomb proof. The equipment you get is great, climate control, electric mirrors that fold flat, air con, electrically operated adjustable suspension (that works), these bits are especially handy as mine is daily transport to work mid week down the M5 and playing on the rough stuff on a weekend. Parts are well priced and easily available, you could get one for less than a grand and have a very usable truck with good equipment levels.

I have just been browsing the forums, nowt on TV, and happened across this topic. Can't believe that more people aren't recommending Mitsubishi Pajero. I have a 93 2.5 short wheel base and it gets me everywhere in any conditions. During the game season I was out in all weathers and conditions and it got me around fine. With the rear seats folded down there is plenty of room for my dog box that has had as many as four Labs in it. 30 MPG and engine is bomb proof. The equipment you get is great, climate control, electric mirrors that fold flat, air con, electrically operated adjustable suspension (that works), these bits are especially handy as mine is daily transport to work mid week down the M5 and playing on the rough stuff on a weekend. Parts are well priced and easily available, you could get one for less than a grand and have a very usable truck with good equipment levels.

30mpg? My mate had one, albeit a LWB and he was lucky to get 20mpg on a long run. They are great value for money though with top spec' and good off road capabiity. We used to rent a SWB open top Pajero in Cyprus a few years ago and it was excellent in the mountains. Not much room for the gear and dog in the SWB though.

I've had the Forester upto its gonads several times this week with all the wet weather and clay soil on our shoot. The flared wheelarches keep most of the mud off the paintwork but even so it comes back half a ton heavier than when it set off. :lol: