What Caliber next?

Spook

Applying for a variation on my FAC, another .22RF target rifle to set up for rapid fire comp. a .22RF semi auto so I can have one set up for lamping and one for day time use.........But fancy a bigger beast for for a bit of long range Foxing and poss. target use in the summer, max range not too important as I like hide shooting. What do you all reccomend??

.223 seems to be the most popular there, however if its rabbits your after, and close range fox (under 70 yards) you should be ok with .17HMR, if your club permits calibers above .22 LR rim.

I myself am after .222, but most people will reccomend .223 for fox as it tends to be more common, and I think ammunition is cheaper.

Edited by Hunter

Hi Hunter, think your right .223 must be the way to go, cheaper than 22.250 but would like to hear from any one with a .223 WSSM. P.S. .22RF is for bunnies not .17! fussy little rounds!

And from your other post.....(section deleted-Henry d)? might make for interesting paterning!!

Hi Hunter, think your right .223 must be the way to go, cheaper than 22.250 but would like to hear from any one with a .223 WSSM. P.S. .22RF is for bunnies not .17! fussy little rounds!

And from your other post.....(Deleted by Henry d) might make for interesting paterning!!

**** I dont want to blow myself up :rolleyes:

I have heard many nasty things about people modifying shotgun rounds, including (also deleted Henry d) :thumbs:

P.S .17? fussy?

When it comes to a windy day yes, or if you have big farmers hands, yes.. otherwise they seem pretty pokey!

.223 must be the way to go

Its the only way to go. :D

And as for rifle choice, then the CZ 527 do a very good value for money fox culling machine. :rolleyes:;)

Not the only way Frank.........but its about the best starting place :thumbs:

Don't get the .222 by the way go straight for the .223

I have edited 2 sections in this thread one was illegal and the other potentially fatal,I would advise members to NOT modify any cartridge or projectile,or to post any references to modifying any cartridge or projectile unless they have had it tested by the appropriate regulating authority,ie.CIP ,local FEO.

Many thanks Henry d

but it irks me that everyone makes ill judged comments about the 22-250 with no basis in fact.

Fact, shot a .22-250 a good few times, enough to know from my own personell experience and veiw, that the round kicks hard and is far more louder. :lol:

I much prefer .223, way more fun to shoot in my opinion, but everyone is different, each to their own. :lol:

I love my .22/250

True it is noisy and has more recoil than the .223 but i fitted a sound moderator and that was problem solved...(wouldnt shoot a .223 without a moderator either) Ammo costs are not an issue as its negligable and after a few thousand rounds if the barrel gets worn out i'll just buy another.

.223 is always a good starting calibre. I have thousands of rounds of both and i just like the extra bit that the 250 gives me. Thats not to say that i wouldn't buy another .223. I have a mates .223 on my ticket and i shoot that plenty. :lol::lol:

Fair enough, i just thought personally it had far more kick then the .223, thats my experience of it. I have also shot a .243 and found the recoil same as the .22-250, dont ask me why, i just did, everyone is different. :lol:

True, a mod does take out kick and muzzle blast big time, but getting a permit for a mod over here in southern Ireland is not easy, i can tell you now. :lol:

I just about got a mod for my .22lr. :lol:

We had trouble getting sound mods for CF over here too a number of years back but now i think they almost issue them as standard.

There was a big hassle getting them though and i think basc put a case forward for issueing sound mods?:lol:?

The .308 shoots like a dream with a sound mod on too :lol::lol:

Edited by miffy

I have edited 2 sections in this thread one was illegal and the other potentially fatal,I would advise members to NOT modify any cartridge or projectile,or to post any references to modifying any cartridge or projectile unless they have had it tested by the appropriate regulating authority,ie.CIP ,local FEO.

Many thanks Henry d

Since when did local FEO's know anything about firearms :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: