Disco 3 or Range Rover

Chokemeister

you're definitely in the minority though, we have a couple of D3's get parked in the farmyard on shoot days which I can half understand, it all depends whether you can scratch and ruin an expensive motor and if you have the money to do so as believe me scratches and dinks rarely wash off

I see your point alex, but if used for the intended purpose then the scratches and dinks can be avoided most times! it's people who get any 4x4 then think "right, lets drive it through this mass of bushes/trees just for the sake of it!

My trucks have been up to the axles a few times but that is normal use, what isn't is when some person thinks they can't be bothered to stand up straight and uses a car as a leaning post and rubs grit/stones down the paintwork like a sheet of sand paper..whether its a top of the range RRS or a 200 quid run about it bothers me!

these vehicles usually take a fair bit of abuse and i find the difference between for example a suzuki and a discovery is that if you get them both caked in mud inside and out the discovery pretty much cleans up to look like it did whereas the suzuki shows signs of wear and tear much faster!

and i also completely agree with James....i don't smoke (anymore!) and very rarely drink so i'd rather spend my hard earned on a car!

Regards,

Gixer

one thing you want to ask yourself is would you want to take a 25K motor shooting and get in in your wellies. I know people who do and believe me they haven't scrimped and saved for the motor its been small change for them.

You can't deny any of the LR offerings will get you about most shoots but your 25K motor will be worth 12K a couple of years down the line so alls good if you can afford to spunk that kind of money on depreciation. Personally I like the sub 10k jap motors for getting about everyday and as a shooting vehicle, I don't wince when muddy boots get in and the dogs live in the back

thats a fair point Al4x, but is your "jap" motor your only motor? or do you have another "car" :hmm:

can never see the point in a cheaper 4x4 then an everyday car, when a disco will do it all, and in the long run prob work out cheaper!

Edited by t jack

thats a fair point Al4x, but is your "jap" motor your only motor? or do you have another "car" :hmm:

can never see the point in a cheaper 4x4 then an everyday car, when a disco will do it all, and in the long run prob work out cheaper!

I used to think this, then i just could not bring myself to drill 5 holes in the roof of my disco, my mate thought the same so we bought a suzuki! :good:

Plus, when i was turning up at work on a monday with it caked in mud and you need to take a work collegue out and he gets the calf part of his trouser covered in mud as he gets in! :lol:

i use my disco for the day to day running around where i shoot and the sooki for the lamping and throwing wet bags of wheat and wet labs in....

Regards,

Gixer

yep run a cheaper 4x4 day in day out, use it for normal days shooting and lamping. with decent seat covers and mats you can keep them reasonably clean. Dogs and dead foxes etc live in the pickup for me, if we are lamping the seats are on the back, shoot days if extra transport is required I have had 5 inside and another 6 in the back with a few dogs so practicality wise it is spot on.

It had slightly derailed from the original post where the guy was after a 25k car to take shooting and personally I wouldn't spend 25K on a shooting wagon some people sound like they are happy wrecking expensive motors but I'm not one of them

Edited by al4x

It had slightly derailed from the original post where the guy was after a 25k car to take shooting and personally I wouldn't spend 25K on a shooting wagon some people sound like they are happy wrecking expensive motors but I'm not one of them

You're right alex, but i guess the average car to take shooting would be the one that turns up at the meeting place, then drives into a muddy field on a driven day..... i guess we are more thinking of lamping and mud plugging....

i would agree that i would not take my disco "anywhere" as there is a high probability it would get "twa**ed" and i'd cry... :oops::lol:

Now thinking of a used but nice, competent off-roader that will get me to all shoots come what may, yet also score highly on luxury and comfort for touring with my elderly inlaws too..

We never really had a 'nice' car before, but I now have a budget of around £25k for a good used example.

I want something that will last, not rust, and be fairly reliable.

I like the look of the Disco 3 and the RR Vogue.

Any helpful comments appreciated.

You seem to have a reasonable idea of what you like. I strongly reccomend you think twice about land rover in the last reliable and not costly stakes. I've got an old 90 which is a great work truck, but I wouldn't want it to be my only vehicle.

The disco 3 and 4 I think just feel like a modern Defender, good utility vehicles and pretty good at most things. I've been informed that even just getting to the gearbox for oil / filter/ work on it is either body off or engine drop but I wouldn't like to believe any engineer would design that in.

Range rovers are nice vehicles with willing engines lots of bells, buttons and modes. I wouldn't really want one out of warranty though.

I highly rate the landcruisers, reliability on ours this year has been very good and on snow tyres it has been tremendous in the winter. But again they aren't to everyones taste.

Think about what size of truck you want, somthing reasonably substantial is going to drink a bit of fuel. If you don't need to be heavily off road, you can really get a lot more comfortable looking at some of the smaller stuff and the crossovers.

Get out, drive a selection and see what seems good. just keep in mind that you need it on the road rather than in the garage being fixed.

For 25k I'd seriously buy a Landcruiser Amazon 4.2TD. Bombproof and luxury with top quality off road ability.

I totally agree, if it were my 25k I would want the most reliable 4x4 ever made. Diso and rrs known for electrical and suspension niggles, also the interior finish is appauling for a luxury car. My mate is a main dealer mechanic for land rover and is not impressed by them. They may look

good on your driveway but landcruiser will out last the pair

of them.

Any how good luck.

For 25k I'd seriously buy a Landcruiser Amazon 4.2TD. Bombproof and luxury with top quality off road ability.

Amazon can be mightly expensive on spares though, most are captive unlike Landrover but they are a really nice drive,. From the two you mention I would go Disco, shod it with all terrain tyres such as Grabber ATs or Goodrich BFGs and never look back. I have done almost 500,000 miles in my last two Disco's and only broke down twice, both with the same fault within a couple of weeks.

A friend who had an Amazon for many years and worked it hard towing on road now runs a V8 diesel Range Rover, he says its twice the tool the Amazon was, that I do find surprising as I had several long drives in that Amazon.

A

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with a nice Jeep grand Cherokee 2.7 diesel they use the Merc sprinter engine and gearbox lots of power and they last for ever and unlike a Rover they do not go wrong all of the time added to that every home comfort you could ask for you are on to a winner the only thing you need to get to improve it is a good set of A/T tyres.

I'd totally agree with the posts that having a D3 or D4 is all the car you'll need. I've just run a D3 for 3 years and the only fault was with the EGR valves (common problem apparently, sorted under warranty during service), other than that it was faultless, and it went anywhere (it was fitted with Goodyear MTRs, noisy!). Interior was saved by the addition of a full set of rubber mats. I now have a D4 which is simply brilliant and already stinks of wet dog and is full of kid related debris.

I just cannot see myself being without one of these cars, ever!

The problem that I have got with the later model Discos is why oh why did they have to employ the chap who designed the transit van to design a 4x4 god it looks horrible with the blacked out windows it looks for all the world like a transit van to me you mint say that is a bit rich coming from someone with a Jeep Cherokee XJ but at least that looks like a Volvo estate not a van.

That is a clip from youtube, You cant see it so clearly in this video but it is towing/pulling something, you can see the wire at the back doubled with the road tires!

speaks for it's self: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-yFmnu0sY

I was quite impressed but not with the car as any decent 4x4 could do that but to do it without a roll cage is asking for trouble it could so easily have flipped and rolled down the hill killing them all. How about this one then.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

After having owned 2 Range Rovers and lots of mates with Disco 3s and 4s I would never have another. Electrical failures, suspension problems, expensive servicing etc etc. I bought a 3.0 V6 TDI VW Touareg and put some General Grabber AT2s on it. Brilliant. Second hand they are now getting cheap - £10K for a 55 plate. Suggest you test drive one.

Jon.

My brother in law has a business fixing 4x4s. mostly LR, but he absolutely loves Toyotas...cos he makes so much money out of them. He has a yard full of them at the moment, electrical problems mostly. The only thing he likes more is a Mitsubishi, engine swaps galore. So don't fall for the old myth about reliable japs.

For luxury, power and versatility my Disco 3 is the best motor I have ever owned, and I have had VW, Audi, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Vauxhall, Renault, Ford, Triumph, Rover, Alfa...