Disco 3 or Range Rover

Chokemeister

Twice I got stuck in the snow off to shoots in my little FWD motor.

Now thinking of a used but nice, competent off-roader that will get me to all shoots come what may, yet also score highly on luxury and comfort for touring with my elderly inlaws too..

We never really had a 'nice' car before, but I now have a budget of around £25k for a good used example.

I want something that will last, not rust, and be fairly reliable.

I like the look of the Disco 3 and the RR Vogue.

Any helpful comments appreciated.

Edited by Chokemeister

I want something that will last, not rust, and be fairly reliable.

thats landrovers out then :lol: I have the same situation but brand new company car. My opinion is as follows

Vogue: can buy the same looking car for £13k :angry:

RRS: Looks good, drives well but is **** offroad £20K cheaper then vogue

Disco 4: a bit of a bus

i want one but cant make up my mind :hmm: Idealy id like a Disco 4 sport

Edited by SteveoM

thats landrovers out then :lol: I have the same situation but brand new company car. My opinion is as follows

Vogue: can buy the same looking car for £13k :angry:

RRS: Looks good, drives well but is **** offroad £20K cheaper then vogue

Disco 4: a bit of a bus

i want one but cant make up my mind :hmm: Idealy id like a Disco 4 sport

If you think the RRS is **** off road then you are a joey.

Owning a Disco 3 and having been in RRS used off road at pay and play days I can tell you they are equally good, will go anywhere a 110 will go and will do it in comfort. Both are fantastic off road, with the right tyres of course. We are going to test the MY2011 RRS at a Land rover experience off road day in March. I'd suggest you do this, because the whole landrover range (bar the gaylander 2) will go way past the point of where you want to stop when it comes to wading, climbing, descents and travelling at very obscure angles.

Edited by J@mes

Owning a Disco 3 and having been in RRS used off road at pay and play days I can tell you they are equally good, will go anywhere a 110 will go and will do it in comfort. Both are fantastic off road, with the right tyres of course. We are going to test the MY2011 RRS at a Land rover experience off road day in March. I'd suggest you do this, because the whole landrover range (bar the gaylander 2) will go way past the point of where you want to stop when it comes to wading, climbing, descents and travelling at very obscure angles.

:lol: a factory RRS/Vogue will not go anywhere a 110 will go :rolleyes: dream on Watch this

I know if you use smaller alloys and AT tires they are very good off road but mine is factory spec and has to stay factory spec thats 20" alloys and proformance tires, one of the reasons why I've bought a 110, in icy conditions i prefered to use a jag awd then the RRS as it felt better. My opiion is not biased I love landrovers and we will soon have 3 of them a 2010 freelander for the wife and 110 for proper offroading and whatever i choose as a mile muncher.

Edited by SteveoM

I believe what I see in my own experiences, not what I manage to find on the internet. :good:

Owning a old 90 then a newer 110 and leasing RRS is not internet experience the video was a graphical aid to my argument. But if i ever get the opportunity to spend several hours on a off-road course purposely designed to prove how good a RR is. I will forget about my 4 years living with one day in day out through all the seasons. I will will just put it down to us buying a bad one.

PS have they got a course for the freelander as I think after owning one for 9 months there pretty poo offroad as well :good:

Edited by SteveoM

A rrs or disco will most certainly do what a defender will do mate.... All down to tyres, in fact you will find a disco 3 actually has some more impressive angles in the departure/approach....

The rrs is basically the same under body as a disco 3 and the terrain response can cope with some real rough situations, the only thing a defender handles better are the scratches and bumps picked up while offloading....otherwise it's all down to tyres!

I used to work for LR and can tell you they test all the range to the extreme!

Regards,

Gixer

:lol: a factory RRS/Vogue will not go anywhere a 110 will go :rolleyes: dream on Watch this

I know if you use smaller alloys and AT tires they are very good off road but mine is factory spec and has to stay factory spec thats 20" alloys and proformance tires, one of the reasons why I've bought a 110, in icy conditions i prefered to use a jag awd then the RRS as it felt better. My opiion is not biased I love landrovers and we will soon have 3 of them a 2010 freelander for the wife and 110 for proper offroading and whatever i choose as a mile muncher.

That is a clip from youtube, You cant see it so clearly in this video but it is towing/pulling something, you can see the wire at the back doubled with the road tires!

speaks for it's self: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-yFmnu0sY

Edited by olim

There are plenty of examples of defenders getting stuck in silly situations because of poor driving or poor tyres. I've been very impressed by range rovers offroad on several occasions.

Im not sure that the defender and RR can really be compared though, one can do 110 on the motorway in comfort the other.... well cant. However if you want a 4x4 that you can drive as you sometimes need to when 4x4'ing then the RR is too expensive.

Personally i know which one i would like for the sort of offroading i would do and the amount of motorway miles i would do.

Also the sport with raised suspension and no running boards has surprising ground clearance despite its drug dealer image.

I was going to comment on this thread but having read that statement there's just no point.

And as for going on Land Rover days, just ask anyone who is involved with off roading what they think of LR's demo drivers :o They really are the bottom of the pile unless it's on a prepared course.

I've had a used 57 Reg Disco 3 HSE for a year now, paid 28k from main dealer and intend to keep it for ever. It's the best car I've ever owned both in luxury and performance on and off road. My Mrs took some convincing beforehand but now loves it and won't change it for anything. Went out in the fields today and coped well in the boggy ground albeit with road tyres, so would recommend a good set of a/t's. Has programs for all driving situations which helps novices like me. I'm not a fan of the RRS or Disco 4, I think the emphasis on car like luxury is ott, not as practical as the Disc 3. Good luck with whatever you choose mate.

I was going to comment on this thread but having read that statement there's just no point.

And as for going on Land Rover days, just ask anyone who is involved with off roading what they think of LR's demo drivers :o They really are the bottom of the pile unless it's on a prepared course.

Whats on the bottom of the pile? Landrovers? or the drivers? if you mean landrovers you are in la la land mate! even the freelanders have a good level of offroad ability (and that's speaking from personal experience not a LR offroad day! had one in a quarry once with pirelli scorpions along with a Cayanne S on the same tyres....drove both and the porker was extremely bad! also seen a landcruiser on vredstien tyres get stuck in a grassy field...not because the toyota is bad offroad but a combination of bad tyres and driving!

the ace card landrover have is the global experience and the history they have in building specific 4 wheel drive vehicles, the other brands (apart from Jeep) have the global presence but also have to assign most of their R&D to the regular cars/vans etc....

regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

one thing you want to ask yourself is would you want to take a 25K motor shooting and get in in your wellies. I know people who do and believe me they haven't scrimped and saved for the motor its been small change for them.

You can't deny any of the LR offerings will get you about most shoots but your 25K motor will be worth 12K a couple of years down the line so alls good if you can afford to spunk that kind of money on depreciation. Personally I like the sub 10k jap motors for getting about everyday and as a shooting vehicle, I don't wince when muddy boots get in and the dogs live in the back

one thing you want to ask yourself is would you want to take a 25K motor shooting and get in in your wellies. I know people who do and believe me they haven't scrimped and saved for the motor its been small change for them.

You can't deny any of the LR offerings will get you about most shoots but your 25K motor will be worth 12K a couple of years down the line so alls good if you can afford to spunk that kind of money on depreciation. Personally I like the sub 10k jap motors for getting about everyday and as a shooting vehicle, I don't wince when muddy boots get in and the dogs live in the back

Preparation is the key....washable mats and wipable leather!

Reading these posts just shows how wealthy some folk are, or are they bought on the never, never :hmm:

It's like the lads at where I used to work, driving around in new cars, instead of paying the mortgage off and saving thousands of pounds on the interest alone.

If the OP had fitted snow tyres on his corsa he would have no need to waste 25K on a depreciating asset :unsure:

You wanna see the inside and outside of mine Alex, I was up to my knees in mud on saturday and so were the other lads who got in the car with me - it stinks of wet dog, the leather is covered in mud. There is blood in the bootspace, and some petrol I spilt out of a can. The mud is overflowing from the rubber mats and on to the carpet, there's mud on the dash, steering wheel, gear stick.

I did the brakes all round last week so while it was jacked up I had a look under the body - looks like it's been buried in a ploughed field for a month.

Will it all clean off? Yes

Am I bothered? No.

I know plenty of people with RRS, full fat RR, disco 3 & 4, landcruisers and all the top end 4x4's and they aren't afraid to use them for what they were designed. Anyone who thinks they are "chelsea tractors" aren't looking in the right place for them.

As for what they cost and all the rest of it, I know people who spend £100 a week on fags and in the pub. As far as I am aware, the depreciation on smoked fag ends and urine full of stella is much higher than it is on 4x4's.

You wanna see the inside and outside of mine Alex, I was up to my knees in mud on saturday and so were the other lads who got in the car with me - it stinks of wet dog, the leather is covered in mud. There is blood in the bootspace, and some petrol I spilt out of a can. The mud is overflowing from the rubber mats and on to the carpet, there's mud on the dash, steering wheel, gear stick.

I did the brakes all round last week so while it was jacked up I had a look under the body - looks like it's been buried in a ploughed field for a month.

Will it all clean off? Yes

Am I bothered? No.

I know plenty of people with RRS, full fat RR, disco 3 & 4, landcruisers and all the top end 4x4's and they aren't afraid to use them for what they were designed. Anyone who thinks they are "chelsea tractors" aren't looking in the right place for them.

As for what they cost and all the rest of it, I know people who spend £100 a week on fags and in the pub. As far as I am aware, the depreciation on smoked fag ends and urine full of stella is much higher than it is on 4x4's.

you're definitely in the minority though, we have a couple of D3's get parked in the farmyard on shoot days which I can half understand, it all depends whether you can scratch and ruin an expensive motor and if you have the money to do so as believe me scratches and dinks rarely wash off

Mine is scratched and dinked, but I know a good bodyshop so before I sell it it will be brought back to excellent condition.

Yes I am more careful with it compared to what I was on my 300TDi, but the risk of scratching or damage wouldn't stop me using it for what it was designed for.

I'm taking it for 2 days of off roading in Wales on Friday with 20 other D3 and RRS owners, can't wait! :good: