Gun Safe in Garage or Outbuilding?

HO Guidelines >>>>

19.18 Under most circumstances, it is

preferable that firearms should be secured

within the occupied structure of a dwelling.

Separate, detached buildings, or those

attached but having only external access, for

example outhouses, garages etc. should not

be used unless the levels of security warrant

it. If used, these could also be protected by

an intruder alarm linked to the household.

Thanks for that. Two words jump out at me are "preferable" and "should" so there is obviously some leeway.

The "safe I am talking about is 3/4 ton and is built into a workshop I have. I wonder if that would make any difference

Dr W? recently had some cabinet location issues and may be the same area, worth a PM or a search.

I asked for my shotgun safe to be installed in an industrial unit as I have kids and don't want guns at home. The unit in question is 10 times more secure then a house and has the alarm linked to the plod. The answer was simple "no" I then asked what else I could do to get permission and he said" nothing it's in your house or no liecence" so that was that. I never felt in a position to argue and ended up sharing a safe and guns with a friend.

I kinow of someone within the Lothian & Borders police area that had his cabinet in his integral garage. The reason it was granted was because he had a PIR alarm sensor fitted in the garage which was still part of the main house alarm. Hope this helps.

Edited by dave1372

• 2 weeks later...

I asked for my shotgun safe to be installed in an industrial unit as I have kids and don't want guns at home. The unit in question is 10 times more secure then a house and has the alarm linked to the plod. The answer was simple "no" I then asked what else I could do to get permission and he said" nothing it's in your house or no liecence" so that was that. I never felt in a position to argue and ended up sharing a safe and guns with a friend.

I asked the same question about carts and he said the same would prefer my to store them at home, but what he did say i would have to inform my insurance company and do a risk assessment to comply with COHSS.

someone i shoot with on here has thier gunsafe in the garage, the outer door locks are reinforced and the locks on the door reinforced.Feo approved it.

The only downside is the need for the anti corrosion socks on all guns but thats only a minor irritation and at £10 each its a lot cheaper than getting rusty guns!!! :yes: