Woody...my Training Diary...

gamechef

Cracking pics mate.

A couple of observations as far as your post is concerned, if I may.

1. Dropping a retrieve at your feet is not acceptable, IMO it is a sign of too many retrieves one after the other - he is dumping to be rewarded with another retrieve, back off a wee bit and don't make retrieves consecutive when you are out.

2. Selective deafness on scent is not him being a pup, it is him learning very quickly that ignoring you is ok. He should be hunting around you for things you have dropped, thrown or planted so he associates being close to you with him making finds. Don't take him on distracting ground yet.

All the best, he looks a lovely wee dog :good:

Thanks WGD...i was hoping some one would help make the journey a bit shorter....

this is the first time i have ever trained a dog, so it takes me a lot longer to work out where he is coming from....but what you said makes absolute sense :good:

i will take on board what you have said and let you know ina week or two how he is getting on.

thanks for the viewpoint..

Daz

By my reckoning your dog is 4 months old?.Personally i would'nt be to bothered about his presentation at the minute you can soon turn a young dog sour by doing to much with it.Like WGD has said don't give him to many retrieves and make sure he does'nt pick everything you throw, pick some yourself.Also at his age when introducing him to sent (5/10yds) keep him as close as possible so if and when he ignores you you can correct him straight away.Quartering's the same no more than 5/10 yds at the minute because as soon as he starts on scent he'll open up naturally open up, to help keep him flat when quartering always face him into the wind :good:

Does he sit and wait?.At his age i'd be working him on steadiness and keep the retrieving as fun, wait until he's about 6/8 mths depending on how forward the dog is and then start to step the training up and tidy it all up.

Russ

Like WGD has said don't give him to many retrieves and make sure he does'nt pick everything you throw, pick some yourself.

Russ - obviously you can't pick retrieves yourself until the dog is steady, and I wouldn't be looking to have a pup this young steady to a thrown dummy yet. Your thoughts? Not having a go, just clarifying for the benefit of the OP :good:

Russ - obviously you can't pick retrieves yourself until the dog is steady, and I wouldn't be looking to have a pup this young steady to a thrown dummy yet. Your thoughts? Not having a go, just clarifying for the benefit of the OP :good:

Personally i'd be steadying him up now, i prefer steadying a young dog eager to please than try and steady a older dog thats learnt it's more fun to run in and please itself.Still without seeing a dog it's hard to say what the dog needs.But that's me, we all train differently and what works for one does'nt mean it will work for another dog.

if your dog is bold steady it up now it won't hurt, if it's a little quite/timid let it run in until it has the enthusiasm and drive to retrieve then steady him up :good:

Still without seeing a dog it's hard to say what the dog needs.But that's me, we all train differently and what works for one does'nt mean it will work for another dog.

if your dog is bold steady it up now it won't hurt, if it's a little quite/timid let it run in until it has the enthusiasm and drive to retrieve then steady him up :good:

Top advice, it's all about the dog and it's nature :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok..just a quick question....but first 'a so far'

Woody is 17 weeks old tommorrow....so far he can..

His temperament is about average i guess, he tends to be somewhere in the middle when it comes to determining a soft or harder nature.

retrieve...he is very keen with this,he probably has on average no more than 4/5 retrieves a session...but as of the last week or so he is refusing to bring to hand, which he did before.he now prefers to stop about2 feet short of me and role on his back with the dummy,i spent the last week backing off from him and recalling him to me in an effort to get him to deliver but he just does the same thing.so as off today i have decided to take a step back ,stop retrieves altogether and just concentrate on getting him to come back to me on a recall, with all the praise i can give so that he associates the pleasure of just returning to me.However, with just a plain recall, he tends to stop short of me, which means i have the same situation.not sure i understand why, as it is only when we are in a walk/training situation that he does this.when we are at home he is all over me.....?

His hunting ability is excellent, he turns on two whistle(mouth)90% of the time, and only needs encouragement on the odd occasion.i cant fault his ability here,i dont expect him to be spot on as it is early days.

He sits when asked,not for an extended period, but he does ok,still gets distracted,but we are working on it.

Now i know that i will probably get some stock answers to the question and that it all depends on the dog ,but ...

1.what should i be expecting from him at this stage?

2.what should i be looking to work on , in additon to strengthening the stuff we've been doing already?

as always gents, your comments(or criticism) are appreciated..

Daz

Alright mate.

I am no expert but.......

I would try and concentrate on recall and sits to food but especially on bonding and fun.

Hunting on short grass will be enjoyable for the pup and I wouldnt worry to much about the turning even tho it sounds like you are doing good - Just keep the pup close by making it guess where you are going.

The pup will learn at this age and will be keen to do so but if you rush through anything and teach too soon the wheels will fall off. Havin a old head on young shoulders might proove a nightmare

I would try and just let the pup enjoy being a pup and not take anything seriously. If it not working come back to it a week later.

I would say the bond is key - If the pup grows up and you are its universe everything will work fine.