whats the best all round air rifle priced £200-£300

jmclark

Hi there im looking to buy a new air rifle soon and wondered what your opinions are on the best Air Rifle priced between £200 and £300, looking for a weekend hunter and everyday target rifle, which is the full legal power or there abouts! :rolleyes:

Cheers and look forward to your views,

oh and if anyone has a rifle for sale in this price range, PM me and let me know, but must be willing to post as i live in Fishguard Pembrokeshire, which is about as far away from anything as you can get!! but got some good shooting ground :D

Cheers

I agree with Vampire, there are few "bad" PCP airguns. For your budget you might be lucky and find an S400, add £50 for the multishot kit and you're sorted. I have one in FAC and it's never missed a beat.

If you're going the springer route, TX200, BSA or Weihrauch.

Cheers guys, been looking at a bsa ultra or scorpion, which one do you think is better? Still doing my research before i buy! id rather get the right gun first time, than go out and just buy any1! cheers

Horses for courses, really

Ultra - smaller and lighter

Scorpion - More shots per fill (about 50 compared to 35 iirc)

Depends what's important to you, mechanically they are very similar.

I shouldn't buy any PCP with this budjet personally, least of all if your a long way from a charge up. Once you have forked out for the filling gear it leaves too little for a scoped up gun. There is a lot of people about who think PCP is more accurate - IT IS NOT, however it is easier to learn to shoot but actually less consistant shot to shot than a good springer. Personally it would be a second hand TX or HW in tidy condtion and the very best scope and mount you can run to without going too big

Why? coz you will get thousands of shots before you even need think of a service, it won't leak and loose all its puff unexpectantly, will withstand rough weather better, will always be ready to go and will teach you too shoot well

Hi there,

I have recently gone back to shooting after 20 years gap. Bought Browning shotgun for sporting clays - great fun but not technical enough. Then borrowed a BSA .22, great fun but accuracy not too good. Eventually bought BSA Lightning XL in .177, under £300 from Sportsman Gun. Great looking little gun and have clean killed large bunnies up to 35 metres. Buying a secondhand PCP is risky unless you know what you are buying or know the person selling.

Suggest you look at spending an amount of money on a gun where you won't lose too much if you sell after a year or so because most people progress further or start a collection. I am about to buy a .17HMR.

Wish you the best in your search.

Bee Bee

Since I got my FAC I've had a springer as I don't use the gun much. To be honest though if you're keen and will be using it a lot a PCP is lovely in comparison.

By far the best low end PCP rifle that I have experience of is the Air Arms S200. It's got a very good quality barrel and is so accurate you won't believe what you can do with it. Our old garden was 25 yards long and if my dad stood his cigarette up against my backstop at the top of the garden I could shoot the ember off the end near enough every time! To put in a group bigger than a 5p coin at that range was unheard of! I really wouldn't get anything better than that, there's no point. You can get a multi shot adaptor for it quite cheaply if you want one. When I had mine I once shot ten bunnies with ten shots in a row. They hardly even noticed I was there it was that quiet! They jumped a bit at each pellet strike but not enough to go to ground. Try doing that with a FAC rifle!

If you go springer then get something heavy. I didn't get on at all well with my Lightning. Something like a HW80 or HW97, TX200 etc will be far better. The heavier they are the more accurate they seem to be?

The HW80.

Hardest, roughest, toughest, yet accurate bit of German engineering at its very best.

If something awful hit this planet, when all the pretty-boy stuff no longer works, because of no electricity or bottle refills, the HW80 will keep on going.

Every house should have an HW80, just in case lol.

It's perfection. Just, perfection.

:stupid: ,nothing at all wrong with older titan and falcons light,well made and simple.i've just sold 8 shot fn19,there good guns.i like my air arms shamal,but thats because its heavy and its my target gun.the ultra is nice,but found it too small for me.a s400 is a nice all rounder.

Cheers guys ill have a look at the hatsan, but think im going to go with a lightning for now, and see how i get on, might get a pcp later on in the year, never know it might be the start of a collection! lol that will keep the missus happy! not!

also that will leave a few quid left to look for a cheap nightvision, as i want to do a bit of vermin control!!

The HW80.

Hardest, roughest, toughest, yet accurate bit of German engineering at its very best.

If something awful hit this planet, when all the pretty-boy stuff no longer works, because of no electricity or bottle refills, the HW80 will keep on going.

Every house should have an HW80, just in case lol.

It's perfection. Just, perfection.

Agree 100%! All I'd add is that they benefit from a good tune, whether legal limit or FAC. I won't sell mine so long as there's a hole in my *****... B)

• 6 months later...

Agree 100%! All I'd add is that they benefit from a good tune, whether legal limit or FAC. I won't sell mine so long as there's a hole in my *****... B)

With you on this, but for me you'd have to pull my 30 year old HW77 from my dying fingers - went out this evening intending to take my S200, but couldn't face pumping it up, so back in the cupboard it went & out came the 77 as usual - anybody want to buy a PCP?

Hi all,

there is a good choice of quality air rifles for you to look at within your budget.

I've had Weihrauch HW35e, HW80 and HW77 and they are all superb guns that will last a lifetime and you'll easily get a good one within your budget, just watch out for ones that have been messed with.

I've also had Air Arms S200 and S400 single shots and both are lovely to handle and of course recoil-less.

All are accurate and remember accuracy is largely down to the individual when using quality weapons like these.

I would avoid Hatsan (know down here is Aussie as Shatsan because they just aren't that good, cheap yes, but no where near as good as the ones named above).

Happy shopping mate. All you need to do is let us know what you end up getting on with.

Mark