I know I will get slated by the 4x4 boys

Cosd

X5 is pants, uncomfortable on road with dire off road performance.

Buy a TD5ES Disco with the auto box, comfortable, smooth, go most places on a shoot with road tyres but shod with AT tyres its a really excellent tool. Far far better than X5. Maybe progress is a bit more stately ( slower !!) on road but it will do 90+ if you wind it up.

A

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you do 95% of your driving on the road, then this is the reason to get an X5 (and they go round corners well).

That being said, I wouldn't want to afford another one :lol:

A Touareg is the same near enough...

But then it can do this too...

I wouldn't like to try that in an X5!

EDIT... Having said that, for running cost reasons I'd go for a Subaru Forester 2.5xt. As quick as the Touareg but you'll get more for your budget. That's what I want!

Edited by njc110381

• 2 months later...

A Touareg is the same near enough...

But then it can do this too...

I wouldn't like to try that in an X5!

EDIT... Having said that, for running cost reasons I'd go for a Subaru Forester 2.5xt. As quick as the Touareg but you'll get more for your budget. That's what I want!

Our 2.5TDI was bad enough, that wagon would need a small stable arab state to fuel it!

Great fun though.

• 4 weeks later...

Am looking at the Disco now.

Which is best, earlier model (2000, 2001) with lower mileage (60-70k) or a newer car (2003, 2004) with higher mileage (100-120k)?

Anything to look out for on these? Will only go for FSH car, auto and leather.

200tdi or 300tdi are better. V8 horrendously expensive to run and blows head gaskets left right and centre (well my rangey V8 did anyway!!!)

Personally I would avoid the TD5 as they are an electrical nightmare! especially when they get wet.

Rust is the main concern on older discos, IME

Which is best, earlier model (2000, 2001) with lower mileage (60-70k) or a newer car (2003, 2004) with higher mileage (100-120k)?

2000 will be before the road tax goes up hugely but they are long in the tooth. My missus's parents have a 2000 TD5 and I hate driving it with a passion, wallows no poke and not great on fuel. Its the leather and gas suspension etc so far its been reliable and they've had it years. Suspension has had its moments and needed attention but that is well known as an issue. Personally I wouldn't buy one but go and drive one and see what you reckon, bank on motorway mileage 27mpg or there abouts and no rush to go anywhere. Try a few and see what you think the plus point is there are lots about downsides are there are lots of dogs out there

9k will gwt you a nice nissan navara d40 adventre top spec double cab with low milage. ive had one now for 5 months and i love it its only £200 pound a year road tax it got leather seats electric seats seat heating duel climet controll cruse controll built in satnav and bluetooth 6 speed gearbog electrical selectbile 4x4 drive high and low. its good on the road im getting around 38 mpg. its not the most amazing off roader but i use all treane tyres and did not get stuck in any of the clay shooting fields when a freelander had to be pushed out :lol: . one of the better looking pick ups i think and the d40 do not suffer with the early d22 engine faults. if u dont want a pick up they do the pathfinder same thing but with out the pickup bit.

I bought my 2002 TD5 ES Auto upgrade model from here last October. Well satisfied with the deal, and no problems with it in the 10k miles I've done since. Well worth a look at their stock, talk to the owner Mark for advice, he's an honest chap.

http://www.woodside-landrovers.co.uk/sales/Default.aspx

Get an old hilux pick up straight 2.5d or isuzu trooper 3.1, still plenty of dosh for a normal car and wouldn't matter how dirty or how much you prang or scratch it. Pick them up around a grand. Get them through mot an they normally a good work horse, don't look pretty an won't go fast but will run and more likely be reliable than these new turbo types, with them being old plenty of spares about too

Get an old hilux pick up straight 2.5d or isuzu trooper 3.1, still plenty of dosh for a normal car and wouldn't matter how dirty or how much you prang or scratch it. Pick them up around a grand. Get them through mot an they normally a good work horse, don't look pretty an won't go fast but will run and more likely be reliable than these new turbo types, with them being old plenty of spares about too

look a bit of a ***** going to a sensible job in it and living in North London the neighbours would probably get a petition together about it :lol:

look a bit of a ***** going to a sensible job in it and living in North London the neighbours would probably get a petition together about it :lol:

Now that's just being posh, I'd have to make do with a push bike and a basket :( 9k is half my years wages, just thought it would be a suggestion. How about a newer version 1 then, land cruiser ? Tax exempt defender ? How about a road legal quad/buggy could be fun at the same time ? I'm not into the off road world much but my cousin has a diahatsu that gets pretty much most places but has been stuck a few times too. I'm more the bike scene as I used to race motocross, I never once got stuck, just fell off alot, I guess it wouldn't be handy at carrying guns or quarry

• 1 month later...

One make of car i would never have again is BMW

First one was a 24v 320 coupe went into limp mode and not one garage could find the problem

Second BMW X5 it was 4 year old when i bought it had it 7 month when it lost reverse gear £950 to repair a seal inside the box then lost £12500 on it after having it 2 year

Now i have a dedicated shooting truck defender 110 G reg any problem that may occur is cheap and easy to fix

£100 pound to insure fully comp and its value is not going to plumet

Edited by glen fox

Just for the pot = my experience is that, of the 4*4's I've had the best off roader was the range rover.

The ML I had was absolute c**p -£1500 every service for new discs etc, mainly because it was never properly designed.

It cost me £2,500 to fix it to sell it - dashboard out as all the fans had failed. Off road it was useless and I would never buy another Merc as a consequence - a very unrewarding experience alltogether.

The range rover was lovely, except it blew the cylinder head gasket within 6 months of getting it new and dumped the radiator contents on the drive - both thankfully under quarantee. The shogun I had was a real workhorse but sadly, being a LWB rather ungainly on road, good off though and utterly reliable.

I now have a north Korean product and although it is not as cultured as land rover, iTs less than half the price.

Service costs are almost nowt and its guaranteed for 5 years. Its good enough off road for all my shooting needs and returns 35/40 MPG from a 2 litre diesel.

On road its brilliant, comfortable, easy cruising at 'motorway' speeds and never a single problem with it. I returned 60K on a set of road tyres. I sold it very recetly for much less depreciation than the other (merc by far the worst) and bought another.

I know most of the 'true' 4*4 people wont like it but check your pockets ! I'd have a discovery tomorrow if I wanted to throw money away.

tell us what it is then????