killing range of 22 rimfire.

reubs

hi guys. my mate and i are having an argument about the killing range of a 22 rimfire. i say that with the rite amo it will kill at 500 yrds. i say this because ive seen my dad kill a fox at that range. any veiws on that

reubs

:lol::lol: Is this a wind up?:lol:;);)???:lol:

As Ive says, take off a '0', :lol: .

500yds. Bloody hell you’d be struggling to hit a fox with a .243 at that range. ???

As for reloading a .22 rimfire ….unless you have access to an Eley-prime facility and a supply of un-primed cases then you will have a hard time trying.

Remember, when a rimfire case is primed, the lead styphnate is injected whilst wet through a small jet into the bottom of the case (this is done on a machine that injects @ 500 at a time) and it is drawn into the rim by capillary action. It then goes into a dryer to harden before being sent on to have the powder charge and the bullet added.

One of the gentlemen who helped to develop the Tenex range of ammunition also worked on the Kynoch testing range. He told me about the time when he and a couple of other co-workers attempted to hand-load a small batch of special ammo’. This was all done in laboratory conditions, and was done in an attempt to produce the most perfect .22 rounds possible.

What they got was a load of ****, :lol: because .22 ammunition needs to be loaded by a process that allows literally millions of them to be churned out with exactly the same level of consistency. This can then be graded into various quality levels. Loading a .22rf by hand is simply a non-starter as you cannot reproduce the same level of consistency due to the miniscule amount of powder used and the number of variations that would be present. This is why Tenex always costs more than other ammo’, because it had its own special loading track and the dies were better and replaced more often.

Methinks you are getting muxed ip with a .22 centrefire. ;)

G.M.

500yds. Bloody hell you’d be struggling to hit a fox with a .243 at that range. ???

As for reloading a .22 rimfire ….unless you have access to an Eley-prime facility and a supply of un-primed cases then you will have a hard time trying.

Remember, when a rimfire case is primed, the lead styphnate is injected whilst wet through a small jet into the bottom of the case (this is done on a machine that injects @ 500 at a time) and it is drawn into the rim by capillary action. It then goes into a dryer to harden before being sent on to have the powder charge and the bullet added.

One of the gentlemen who helped to develop the Tenex range of ammunition also worked on the Kynoch testing range. He told me about the time when he and a couple of other co-workers attempted to hand-load a small batch of special ammo’. This was all done in laboratory conditions, and was done in an attempt to produce the most perfect .22 rounds possible.

What they got was a load of ****, :lol: because .22 ammunition needs to be loaded by a process that allows literally millions of them to be churned out with exactly the same level of consistency. This can then be graded into various quality levels. Loading a .22rf by hand is simply a non-starter as you cannot reproduce the same level of consistency due to the miniscule amount of powder used and the number of variations that would be present. This is why Tenex always costs more than other ammo’, because it had its own special loading track and the dies were better and replaced more often.

G.M.

Exactly. ;)

hi guys. my mate and i are having an argument about the killing range of a 22 rimfire. i say that with the rite amo it will kill at 500 yrds. i say this because ive seen my dad kill a fox at that range. any veiws on that

reubs

Are you still in cloud couckoo land ???:lol:;)

reubs

Please can you ask your Dad which type of ammo he was using, 'cos as soon as I find out I will be buying some! ???

G.M.

Like wot 'e said

My rimmy can do hares at 100 yards pretty well consistently but I don't really like to do it unless my "eye is in" on the day. I use Winchester subs.

500 yards? Piffle.

Dave

I don't see why you shouldn't hit it, but killing it is a different thing altogether. The .22 ammo I use for target shooting which is Lapua Master M says "Dangerous to 1.5KM" on the box.

I would want to try it but you could probably catch the bullet at 1.5KM.

Cheers

MC