killing range of 22 rimfire.

reubs

Well i'v been out with chewy/jack a few times with his .22 rimy and he's a pretty good shot when out on the lamp. I'v seen him shoot bunnies at 120 yards but on nights that the weather is reasonable and the wind is right. But i really dont think that a rimy as got the guts in its cartridge for a clean kill at 500 yards. A .243 centre fire would have a job killing a rabbit or fox at that range. And i think, if you are shooting at live targets with a .22 rimy at that range your a little irrasponsable to say the least. I say take a 0 off and you pretty much got the range.

Edited by deputy dog

Well i'v been out with chewy/jack a few times with his .22 rimy and he's a pretty good shot when out on the lamp. I'v seen him shoot bunnies at 120 yards but on nights that the weather is reasonable and the wind is right. But i really dont think that a rimy as got the guts in its cartridge for a clean kill at 500 yards. A .243 centre fire would have a job killing a rabbit or fox at that range. And i think, if you are shooting at live targets with a .22 rimy at that range your a little irrasponsable to say the least. I say take a 0 off and you pretty much got the range.

I agree :rolleyes:

With a 7.62 round zeroed at 100yds to hit the bull at 1200yds you need to aim 37feet above the bull but it is done every weekend by a lot of people.

Even at this distance you still hear the sonic crack as the bullet goes over your head when you are butt marking :*)

So aiming 106" over is not impossible so in theory it is possible, but paper punching is one thing a clean kill is another.

Cheers

MC

i did quite recently read on another forum (might be rimfire central) that a guy was shooting a .22 rimmie at a 2 foot steel target plate that was 600 yards away and he was hitting it consistantly , he would take the shot , put down the rifle and remove his ear defenders just in time to hear the bullet hit the target , i've no doubt that even a .22 sub would have the power to kill a fox at 500yards but being able to go out and do it under normal field conditions would certainly be a trick that i'd like to see , in good conditions i can use my rimmie past 100yards but it's not something i'd do unless conditions were perfect.

i'll clarify my position on the fox versus .22 subs issue .

IF YOU TRY TO SHOOT A FOX AT 500 YARDS WITH A .22 SUBSONIC ROUND YOU ARE A FOOL .

i hope this clarifies my position on this issue , this was the message i was trying to put across in my first post but i was trying to be a little more diplomatic :rolleyes:

mods , if you feel that my original post will cause offence or is in anyway encouraging shooters to try the above please feel free to delete it.