Home security

Salop Matt

On saturday a house 3 doors down got broken into this is the second in 2 months but these are the first in 20 ish years. This has come as a shock as no one can remember there ever being a break-in in the last sort of 20 + years.

Most of the houses by us have older style wooden doors and wooden framed double glazed windows which both of these houses had. The first break in things were stollen and the second one the intruder set the alarm off when ge gained entry and then fled empty handed.

So we have had new double glazing all round the house and a big solid composite door thats solid.

Also last night we had our alarm system serviced and are adding in an additional 4 sensors of differing types in the house.

I want the house to be my castle / fort were my family and belongings (esp the shotguns & firearms) are safe from the theives we have around us these days !

So does anyone have any addtional security in there home or any advice / tips for putting off any would be intruder ?

just alarms and dogs thats about all you can do unless you want metal gates and bars on windows than it will

look like a prison then all the vermin think you have something worth stealing ...ps my mate has a screammer wired up to his

alarm system and you can not stay in same room as it hurts your ears might be worth looking at

i live above the gunshop and not miles from one of the worst areas in the city so security is massive! we have iron gates that close over our back doors and garage doors and all the windows are barred! fully monitored alarm etc! i also have

163457_10150124129762784_501542783_7943662_4590762_n.jpg

tbh i think if you can make the place look like its well guarded then they will more often than not go to the the next house down they can get into easilly

More importantly if your doors have the "EURO" style locks (the ones shaped like a keyhole) then get anti snap and anti bump ones fitted.

My sister in law locked herself out of her flat and I was in within seconds.

Google lock bumping and watch the videos. Also if you do get broken in to by this method you will have a battle with your insurance company as there is no visible signs of entry.

I have seen a few security tests and it is amazing what can be done with a screwdriver and a few bits of wire.

by far the best security is a wooden door with multible locks unlike composite doors and upvc doors that only have one lock to attack.

Me personally if i was faced with a composite door to attack or a wooden door with multible locks would always opt for the composite doorevery time because it would take mere seconds to get in with my snapping device.

Before anybody says anything i was sent on a course by my old firm in order to get the tools to enable me to aquire these tools

Add an extra alarm to the existing one,and make sure you put the loudest screamer siren "outside" as this wakes the whole neighbourhood and scum dont like it.

The cordless ones are not too bad if you fit them correctly and put the sensors in the right place.

But be careful that you dont do anything that will hurt the poor mites as the police dont look kindly on that sort of thing, and you are easier to NICK!

Fortunatly we have anti bump locks in our door as its under a year old !

But also they may open the lock but once they open the door or get detected by a PIR the alarm will sound !

Apparently when the alarm sounds it normally send the intruder scurrying !

:good:

MC iv never seen the video`s before, scary really ! :o :o :o

by far the best security is a wooden door with multible locks unlike composite doors and upvc doors that only have one lock to attack.

Me personally if i was faced with a composite door to attack or a wooden door with multible locks would always opt for the composite doorevery time because it would take mere seconds to get in with my snapping device.

Before anybody says anything i was sent on a course by my old firm in order to get the tools to enable me to aquire these tools

there is nothing illegal about owning these tools and they can be bought over the internet.

if you carry them in the street without good reason you could be charged with 'going equipped to steal'.

This is a lock very much like what we have ordered :

http://www.yaledoor.co.uk/yale-locks.html

(the companys bumpf on the product)

"As the makers of the world’s favourite lock, we believe in quality. That is why we make our Kitemarked Yale cylinder locking system integral part of every single door we produce. Quality means a Yale lock with a cylinder virtually impossible to bump or break. It also means are approved to tough PAS024 security standards – and recognised as an asset lock cylinder by insurance companies."

A small, neat, basic CCTV setup may well keep them moving past your property, when my shed got broken into SOCO turned up asked about CCTV then said there was nothing they could do and left!

If there is a bit of a spate your CCTV may catch them checking places out...

All you can do is make things look as awkward and uninviting for any thieves.

Alarms good locks CCTV even if they are just dummy camera's are all good visible deterrents.Unfortunately it just means some other person less well prepared will get hit instead.

My best security has to be the dogs though, anyone coming up the drive when we are at work is met by a Ridgeback and a Boerboel jumping and barking at the gates by the front door. Our retired neighbours are happy also as they watch over their garden and property as well much to the dismay of the window cleaners who have 2 dogs looking over the dividing wall when they are in his back garden.

I have clients that instal glazing and they reckon they can pop any modern UVPC window out in a minute. Physical security will stop the casual criminal only.

Get a professionally installed alarm that's hooked upto a monitoring centre - ours went off this morning and they phoned me on my mobile to tell me it was a trigger just in the kitchen; yes, I hadn't put the dog away before going out.

Also you can get a professionally and discreetly installed CCTV system now for between £1k and £2k.

By the time you add up the cost of locks, gates, flood lights, alarm and CCTV it's a lot of money but a fair chunk of piece of mind.

I think it's when something happens "down your road" it brings it to mind.

A lot depends where you live, precautions worth doing are making it hard to get round the back of the house, security lights so they are well lit if they do go round there. I don't bother with an alarm but with a GWP that sleeps in the kitchen we know if anyone is about.

My last house was in a higher crime area and we were always left alone, but I did have two terriers at the time a secure back garden and a cat flap. We were the only ones who didn't have our shed done over, when they kicked off at night you really never knew if it was someone, a cat or a fox :lol: Lots of noise works well whether it comes from a dog or an alarm

as said before, apart from locks, alarms etc and the house generaly looking secure, a dog can be a very good deterrant.

a feisty alert little terrier like a jack russel can do the job, or one of the traditional guarding breeds, gsd doberman etc.

we have an akita as does my dad who is the on site caretaker of a local primary school. the school was a regular target for the local theives and kids trying to steal or damage property, that was until this guy started patroling the grounds....

DSC00333.jpg

i have a german shepard for security,he is getting on abit now but can still move fast when he wants.when the security light comes on at the side of the house he goes ape,and rushes the gate barking and all the fur goes up on his back,like a mohican :lol: people know to move away as he wont back down and wont shut up till they have gone :good: nabours love him barking :lol::P

I find dogs to be the best alarm sytem, have four working sheepdogs, they don't take prisoners,

visitors stay in their cars until the dogs are put away, in the meantime they try and get into

the visitors car, when they fail they rip at the plastics in temper.

By comparison they put my Rotties and GS to shame, not forgetting the Patterdales.

But then living miles from my nearest neighbour they are doing their job, and word does get about

when you have nasty dogs in a remote home.

I must confess, I prefer my alarms to have teeth:

6iwjva.jpg

The 'boys' were 12 months here and already 'very keen' on defending the homestead. They are 2 1/2 now and full sized :huh: TBH, their vent gas would deter the vast majority of evil-doers :/

Extra Staffordshire Bull terrier has arrived since then too - proper muscle head but impeccably behaved :yes: brings balance to the pack :D

Edited by The Duncan

I've got 6 pin barrels in my Euro locks, harder to bump compared to standard 5 pin, you can also buy a thick oil type substance that is supposed to stop bumping but I've never tried it.

You can buy wireless alarm systems that ring up to 5 different phones when the alarm goes off, for when you are out.When at home, I've also got a panic button by my bed and a screamer in the hallway, push the button and all hell is let loose :good:

My mates house got done a few years ago, he relied on his 2 Labs: the scumballs forced the front door then backed off, out charged the dogs, they run into the house and shut the door. Mate came home from the pub and found his dogs sat on the front lawn. Scum had ransacked the house then made off out the back :angry: