What is the best oil for wood

Lord Geordie

Hi Guys

Well i got my first shotty (thx mum n dad) :lol:

An AYA Yeoman but i wasn't happy with the stock finish in gloss varnish ???

I have stripped the gun to bits and sanded the wood down and was wondering what is the best oil for a nice satin finish that will bring the grain out?

Thanks chaps

Lord Geordie

Was at Steve smiths shooting club today and managed to get hold of some propper oils for the stock :lol:

Tried Gun stock wax (birchwood casey) yeaterday and have had over 20 coats already but it simply soaks into the wood and goes dull :)

Then a few coats of good ole RAW Linseed and again it simply soaked into the wood :lol:

So i got some walnut oil and some stock oils to try again i have more than a week to get it ready but i am MORE than happy with the gun :rolleyes:

Shoots well and although it's very light the kick ain't too great even with heavy game carts :)

Me mate says it's got a hell of a kick but i don't notice it really :lol:

Thanks for the info i was looking at a kit but thought it was a bit OTT price wise for what was in there hence spending less than £10 for the Linseed oil Walnut oil and the stock oils :)

Lord Geordie

The technique is to rub the wood down using a finer and finer abrasive then wet with water this will bring the grain right up and will initially loot terrible. Let it dry then liberally soak with linseed oil. Let the oil soak right in. Oil again but this time after you have oiled it get a piece of round hard wood inch dowel will do. Rub the wood with your dowel with much pressure going with the nap of the grain pushing it back down. Repeat this process. If you continue for long enough you should be able to get most hard woods to come up like glass.

Dave

Cheers Dave!

I have started another treatment of oils and looks like it's going rather nicely.

Don't think i will need the doweling though as i am not really after a glass finish i just want a satin finish. Just a bit of sheen over the grain will look great :rolleyes:

i just soaked it in linseed again and a mix of wax and linseed then after that soaked in a splash of walnut oil and now more linseed and caranuba mix and it seems to be working a treat.

Thanks again

Lord Geordie

Well the linseed seems to be working but this wood is more like Balsa it's so damn pourus it's just drinking the oil :sly:

I have over 20 coats now of mixtures linseed oil walnut oil gun stock wax gun stock oil pour a load on smear it for ages with my hands trying to force it into the wood then recover with MORE oil and leave over night and in the morning i wipe the excess off and give it 20 to 30 mins and it's gone dull again :<

If i can't get it to come up like a satin finish i will just leave it as the wood looks great and is MORE then well oiled so it should be fine

Lord Geordie