Working dogs, in or out?

brooktrout

What is the best environment to keep a working dog, an external kennel, or inside the house?. Ive got mixed feelings about this as in the past ive used both alternatives. My preference is for a kennel andgood sized pen, but after saying that, one of the best springers that ive owned was kept indoors and treated as a family pet, but I did note that his working life was quite a bit shorter than the dogs I kept outside. Coincidence?

I have always kept my working dogs outside, until they retired.

Its important to make sure their "kennel" is large enough, waterproof, warm and draught free.

Mine also had a fenced, concrete run.

I don,t know if this prolongs their working life, as I have nothing to compare it with.

But, I do think it makes them better "workers", with less distractions than "house" dogs.

I don,t want to give the impression they were like robots.

We considered them part of the family, they played with the children and were taken for walks by them, but they were working dogs.

I ALSO THINK OUTSIDE...

THE DOG IS FRESH AND READY FOR WORK EVERYTIME IT COMES OUT OF THE KENNEL...

A KENNEL ALSO ENSURES THAT BAD HABITS ARE NOT LEARNT FROM THE CHILDREN/REST OF THE FAMILY...

I ALSO THINK THAT A KENNEL IS A FAR MORE NATURAL AND HEALTHY ENVIROMENT FOR A DOG E.G. CENTRAL HEATING...

MOST DOGS WILL ALSO DEVELOP A MUCH STRONGER GUARDING INSTINCT OUTSIDE, not a bad thing these days...

DEFINATELY OUTSIDE FOR ME...

Some of my dogs have been kept outdoors and some indoors i have not noted any diffrence in working ability some dogs are good some are not so good. I dont think it matters one bit to the dogs working ability if it its kept in or out. If the dog is properly trained to a standard then that dog will work no matter where it lives. By the way mine are kept out (for my conviance not the dogs).although i do think its a lot healthier for the dog.

Our working sheep dogs (supposed to be but havent done much 4 a while) are kept outside in a decent kennel with heat lamp for when they were pups and an outside part to it( it was an old pigstie).our old collie prefered to be outside running lose at night anyway, good 4 security :/

our other dog is a german pointer and does nothing but lie infront of the aga or sunbathe on the lawn :lol: !although she used to be champion rabbit catcher.

my grandad keeps his springers indoors but his feelings are that as there is only him an his wife they are fine.But my uncle prefers to keep his outside with all his kids running around.

• 3 weeks later...