Need some tips

Sniper-Blend

Hey all i was just wondering if any of you can help me out, im thinking of adding a custom job to my stock, i.e new look. I dont want to alter the way the stock is i just want to change its colour, maybe make it look better than what it is. The stock i want to do is off my BSA Lightning XL as i think it is a little plain looking and needs brightening up lol any help or tips or links to websites that show you will be appreciated ???

i really wouldnt consider doing this sort of work to a rifle that looks like that, spend a few quid and buy an old dog which you can practise on.

Beech is a very light wood almost like pine, so you would have to strip all the original stain from it and that means a lot of elbow grease as the clour has become part of the grain.

at the moment you ahve a rifle with a second hand value of 160 ish if you ****** up the stock you have a rifle worth about 60, its up to you but i wouldnt do it.

if you do decide to do it, you just ned to spend a lot of time sanding then you can get normal wood stains to give it the clour you want and then you just need to seal it.

ROB ???

ps sounds simple LOL

I sell a lot of airguns at the gunshop I work at, and I have to say that has a lovley bit of wood on it... seriously dont mess around with it :rolleyes: you will be disapointed.

My workplace recently gave me an old BSA Superstar and I overhauled that using sand paper, many washes and sand's, then increase the grade untill very smooth, and apply an oil/varnish or stain/varnish mixed combination paint, and apply around 7 ultra thin coats, allowing 5-6 hours dry time or more between each. Even this did not turn out as clean as your gun, but it did remove the dents, gashes, stains, and dried glue :)

Balls.........

Get it stripped and oiled....

You will need, spray nitromors, wire wool in 3 different grades and stock oil, suede brush.

Take your workings off, butt pad etc, spray your stock with mr mors, leave the required time, rub down with rough grade wire wool. Reduce down accordingly.

Apply stock oil, rub, oil, rub, oil, rub, oil, rub, oil, rub, oil, rub, oil, rub, oil, rub.

Alternatively, spray it.

Ill down load some pics of my x2 that I sprayed out myself. 1st time, am going to get another stock and do another job. Mines just a rough job at the moment, its a hunting tool but still looks nice.

Hey sniper-blend,

you just sold me your old hw95, you should have hung onto that and used it as a practice to do the stock up.

I too wouldn't mess with your lightning stock, it looks great as it is!

If you're stil unsure, just get a really knackered old stock and have a go on that, it can be really tricky to get them looking really good

best wishes

bindi

HI Sniper,

if you want to customise, then I would do it conservatively, possibly by adding a gold/brass coloured trigger/guard, but if you use it for hunting this might not be a good idea.

How about having it hydrographic dipped, that would look pretty cool,

bindi

You might also consider getting it dipped. Hydrographics offer some pretty neat custom finishes. Though for the money, you really have to want it! Personally, I wouldnt bother, it may be a little on the plain side, but its in a good clean order. You may well end up not only defacing the rifle but defacing its value too.

That sounds technical bindi what exactly is it?

How are you getting on with the HW95?

HI Sniper,

got the HW95 stripped down, stripped the paint off the barrell and re-blued it. Will be working on the cylinder blueing and the trigger problem tonight.

I'm going to sand the stock right down to take out the home made carved pattern out, which might be successful or a complete failure.

In the meantime I'll keep my eyes peeled for a newer stock,

How's the missus and the rabbit?

Best wishes

mark

That sounds technical bindi what exactly is it?

How are you getting on with the HW95?

HI Sniper,

got the HW95 stripped down, stripped the paint off the barrell and re-blued it. Will be working on the cylinder blueing and the trigger problem tonight.

I'm going to sand the stock right down to take out the home made carved pattern out, which might be successful or a complete failure.

In the meantime I'll keep my eyes peeled for a newer stock,

How's the missus and the rabbit?

Best wishes

mark

Sounds like you are getting well into it :) good to hear

The miss and rabbit are fine :) although i keep upsetting her by joking that the bunner is tonights meal :):rolleyes: lol i took her out shooting today and she has amazing eyes for seeing things i dont i.e she noticed loads of woodies and even an owl that was 3 feet away from us in some brush, we must of disturbed it at it was watching us for ages as i was shooting, dont worry though i didnt shoot the owl lol

Snipes, how did you get on at your local club.

If you fancy a visit down to Bolton, the lad that runs the club also does stocks for a living..................................He will strip down, re-oil and produce very fine finish, has had work from all the way from the states and russia....

Snipes, how did you get on at your local club.

If you fancy a visit down to Bolton, the lad that runs the club also does stocks for a living..................................He will strip down, re-oil and produce very fine finish, has had work from all the way from the states and russia....

After visiting my gunshop today to get more pellets i enquired about my local club and it dosnt seem that there is one in failsworth anymore ;) and my closest one is macklesfield :D i would like to come see what yours is like but i dont have transport at moment but soon as i do i will defo pop up :blink: thanks for all the advice

Where abouts are you. Would come and pick you up one weekend if you fancy coming down.

PS, who were you with in the forces..................That might just swing it, assume that you were infantry based, then again, I might just abandon you on the motorway and make you tab it back.