shooting herons

crossy 666

21 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

7 years on I hope he’s sorted the problem! 

Well if the Heron hasn't died of old age......the OP probably has no koi left by now!...........so one way or another the problem is likely to have resolved its self by now!

53 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

And i dare say you won't tell us what it was as that reply is very cryptic indicating you did something illegal!

I invited a load of bird watchers around with big cameras to take pictures of the lovely animal and like most of the tree hugers that stick there nose in  and do more harm than good they scared it away for me that and me bringing a very large female goshawk home from work might have something to do with it. 

Edited by crossy 666

quite often stopped what I'm doing to watch a Heron stalking, best one was on a small stream just outside Edinburgh near the botanical gardens, they turn up in the most unlikely places.

But I can understand someone not wanting to feed them sushi every morning.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Aricci said:

Absolutely not, all herons are protected species and also seriously endangered. 

Have a slight fishy tang to them I find, bit like a cross between a swan and a cormorant I find..

On 29/01/2011 at 17:57, Colster said:

I found clay land drains work well though, drop them in the water and the fish hide in them. Our two unwelcome visitors got bored waiting for them to come back out and we haven't had a problem since.

If they're big koi you might need 6" ones rather than the 4" ones my shubbys hide in.

Neighbour did this and it worked a treat. 

I read somewhere that if a heron alights in the top of a tree and is alarmed it will deposit the contents of its bowels when departing. Didn't believe this until a few years ago I was out with the gun awaiting a few pigeons, when a heron perched in the top of the tree that I was standing under. Nevertheless, I very slowly moved out of its line of fire should this be correct and sure enough it took flight in alarm and 'Glooooooosh'. The amount of carp that it left down the side of the tree was incredible. I'm only glad that I had previously read about this. Whether it's a defence mechanism or purely fright, which I suspect, is a matter of opinion.

They do however, look somewhat out of place perched on top of a tree when they are normally to be seen on the ground or in shallow water.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I read somewhere that if a heron alights in the top of a tree and is alarmed it will deposit the contents of its bowels when departing. Didn't believe this until a few years ago I was out with the gun awaiting a few pigeons, when a heron perched in the top of the tree that I was standing under. Nevertheless, I very slowly moved out of its line of fire should this be correct and sure enough it took flight in alarm and 'Glooooooosh'. The amount of carp that it left down the side of the tree was incredible. I'm only glad that I had previously read about this. Whether it's a defence mechanism or purely fright, which I suspect, is a matter of opinion.

They do however, look somewhat out of place perched on top of a tree when they are normally to be seen on the ground or in shallow water.

OB

They nest up trees

heron.jpg.d0b1bc1ef4a17d95d2ca2c5a9905a667.jpg

23 minutes ago, islandgun said:

They nest up trees

heron.jpg.d0b1bc1ef4a17d95d2ca2c5a9905a667.jpg

Yes, I did know that and have seen a few heronries in different parts of the country, but just think that they look a bit awkward. Thanks for the picture though.

OB