Loading a Semi?

adam f

To those of you who use a 3 shot semi for clays - do you load all 3 at the start of the flush / stand - and then load an extra two from the bottom as each pair progresses for speed, or do you just load 2 and start from scratch each time with one cart in the side and one in the bottom?

Ive only used mt O/U so far but I shoot so well with the semi I might take it along next time!

Edited by adam f

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked down the barrel of a semi after a guy came out of cage with one still up the spout after sticking three in and flush finished - when he saw me dancing around he quickly unloaded it looking rather ashamed.

I have always been a semi shooter and only ever load three on a semi day where three clays are in the air and always come out of cage with gun held verticle and ejection port facing out for all to see.

Dave

CPSA sites are 2 carts only,I`m sorry but if you feel the urge to have 3 carts loaded when you are being presented with pairs you are asking for trouble and not going to make friends very fast.

The only time i ever load more than 2 is when my rifle club have our private clayshoot and we have 2 classes, either standard semis they take their pairs, then those of us with 9 + 1 who take our 10 all together, if you have a 4 + 1 or 8 + 1 etc your stuck doing pairs only.

CPSA sites are 2 carts only,I`m sorry but if you feel the urge to have 3 carts loaded when you are being presented with pairs you are asking for trouble and not going to make friends very fast.

The only time i ever load more than 2 is when my rifle club have our private clayshoot and we have 2 classes, either standard semis they take their pairs, then those of us with 9 + 1 who take our 10 all together, if you have a 4 + 1 or 8 + 1 etc your stuck doing pairs only.

Quite. 2 birds shown, you only need two carts. Keep it simple and safe.

Loading more than the expected number of clays is dangerous. Easy to load 3 only shoot at a pair and forget the last one is in the breech.

Not really !! because I and EVERYONE I shoot with are 'Safe' and before we walk off/onto a stand - our guns are 'clear' . I would NEVER walk off after shooting a pair with my semi(or any gun) without making sure breech is open and gun clear.

I even check my guns when getting them out of the cabinet even when I know they're empty (force of habit from my Army cadet days I guess) , You'd be amazed how many people are shot/injured by a gun they KNOW was safe!!

atvb

sg1 :good:

Not really !! because I and EVERYONE I shoot with are 'Safe' and before we walk off/onto a stand - our guns are 'clear' . I would NEVER walk off after shooting a pair with my semi(or any gun) without making sure breech is open and gun clear.

I even check my guns when getting them out of the cabinet even when I know they're empty (force of habit from my Army cadet days I guess) , You'd be amazed how many people are shot/injured by a gun they KNOW was safe!!

atvb

sg1 :good:

That's all well and good but anyone who doesn't know you are all 'safe' might be reassured if they could seea safety device in the breech. IMO a plug makes it safe even if there was still one up the spout! Which would be very difficult to do accidentally.

GH